PDA

View Full Version : Speedplay and Time pedal questions

Kervin
12-17-2007, 11:35 AM
As much as I like the idea of having a all Campy bike, after three months, I can't reliable get into the pedals without looking down. I usually only take my foot out once per ride, but I'm going to do some racing in the spring. I've used Time and Speedplay in the past, but they both have new models out.

Speedplay
- Is there a change in the cleat height from the X2 to the Zero?
- Does one cleat type wear faster than the other?
- Are the colors only for a certain type of Speedplay?

Time
- In some reviews I read on Roadbike Review, some people have had the carbon body break. That happen to anyone here?
- Is the entry like the old clunky ones?
- Are both parts of the cleats metal?

Thanks - Kervin

sspielman
12-17-2007, 11:53 AM
For the Time pedals:
I have never seen one of the new resin or carbon bodies break.....not that it couldn't happen, but I can't imagine it except as the result of wreck damage. The mechanism is a little slicker to engage, but the target is smaller, so i find it to be a wash. The "working' part of the cleat is still brass...but much smaller....while the front cam that is used for locating the rear cleat over the mechanism is actually a part of cleat mounting plate for the shoe and is made of the same plastic.....

slowandsteady
01-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Check out this thread before you ever consider Speedplay pedals:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=84572&page=4

kramnnim
01-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Check out this thread before you ever consider Speedplay pedals:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=84572&page=4

Holy 3-year-old-thread-bumping, Batman! :)

false_Aest
01-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Time pedals:

Yeah they break.
GF broke 1.
I broke 1.
Not unusable just ugly.

Clip in easy. Low stack height. Low weight. Etc.

Everything breaks when you race. I'd buy them again.

I'd be all over a set of alloy bodied ones if they were avail.

Alan
01-23-2011, 03:27 PM
I have broken 2 sets of the carbon old style carbon Times but I would get the new style iClic Times. Don't buy the old style as the cleats have changed. If you can standardize on the new cleats you will be way ahead.

I like the RSX pedals but the iClics sound much better.

Alan

tv_vt
01-23-2011, 03:40 PM
I broke an RXS Time pedal last summer JRA. But it was several years old. I still like the pedal and still use them. Not sure if it's just the Carbon model. That's the one I broke.

Thom