PDA

View Full Version : Options for using campy with shimano compatible hubs

blharrell
12-16-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm looking at a set of Phil cassette hubs but all my bikes are Campy. Any experience with the 3 options I've found doing a quick 'net search? Other options (switching to Shimano is not an option :) ) ?

1. Jtek Shiftmate
2. IRD cassette, spaced Campy for shimano comp. hubs
3. American Classic cassette, same as #2

Brent

issixtoomany
12-16-2007, 08:25 PM
I use a jtek with campy 10 shifters, shimano hub and shimano 9-speed cassette, 7700 dura-ace derailleur, shifts perfectly.

thwart
12-16-2007, 10:49 PM
If you're running 9 spd you can just go ahead and run 'em... but if it's 10 spd then the options above are it. Don't know if Wheels Mfg. is still making a conversion cassette as well...

93legendti
12-16-2007, 11:00 PM
If you're running 9 spd you can just go ahead and run 'em... but if it's 10 spd then the options above are it. Don't know if Wheels Mfg. is still making a conversion cassette as well...

That's what dbrk and Coach report:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=33319&postcount=4

i race cyclocross w 9speed ergolevers
and shimano cassettes. perfect!
e-RICHIE

ps

:cool: :p :cool:
:p :cool: :p
:cool: :cool: :p

arrange disorder
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=205

Based on the above, I picked up a Campy 9 speed mini grouppo I intend to put on a bike with a Shimano 9 speed cogset.

sspielman
12-17-2007, 06:47 AM
Another option...Phil Wood doesn't say too much about it, but they will make you a cassette hub with the cassette carrier 1.5 mm wider than the normal Shimano compatible unit.....but still with the Shimano spline pattern (necessitated by the hub's bearing design). You then can use a Mavic (Marchisio) cassette (cogs) PERFECTLY spaced for Campagnolo and avoid the two rather cheesy "conversion" cassettes that were mentioned....(This is what we did for our tandem, and it works very well)

blharrell
12-17-2007, 07:22 PM
93legendTi,
cool, one of the bikes i'm thinking of is 9sp campy. i'll read the thread and see if there are any other tweaks.

sspielman,
how much extra did they charge for the mod? are you using for 10sp?

as usual, great info...GRAZIE MOLTO! :beer:

J.Greene
12-17-2007, 07:57 PM

J.Greene
12-17-2007, 07:59 PM
BH,

For you wouldn't some nice silver campy 32's be better? Those phils are boat anchors. Heavier than a single bike needs atmo. Fine hubs they are, but you can do the same thing with 1/2 of the weight and 2/3 cost.

JG

sspielman
12-18-2007, 06:35 AM
93legendTi,
cool, one of the bikes i'm thinking of is 9sp campy. i'll read the thread and see if there are any other tweaks.

sspielman,
how much extra did they charge for the mod? are you using for 10sp?

as usual, great info...GRAZIE MOLTO! :beer:

I don't think it cost anything extra....but the hub was not cheap as it was a tandem cassette hub threaded for a Phil disk brake on the other side. email them and see what they say. They seem to like solving problems....
I am using it 9 speed, but it is fully 10 speed compatible with different spacers. I use the same cogs/spacers for 10 speed with a couple pairs of Mavic Helium wheels.

Longdaddy
12-18-2007, 08:53 AM
Have about 6000 miles on mine. Use it with Campy Record drivetrain and a set of Mavic Cosmos wheels.

Light, sort of cheep (about 89 bucks...compared to campy chorus or Mavic)) and still running fine.
I do change my chain and keep the drive train clean, w/in reason.

Longdaddy

saab2000
12-18-2007, 09:09 AM
I once used the American Classic conversion cassette. Worked OK but not nearly as well as an actual Campagnolo cassette.

If I were doing that again I would try that Shiftmate thingie with a Shimano cassette, which I consider to be a good cassette.

Ahneida Ride
12-18-2007, 09:15 AM
BH,

For you wouldn't some nice silver campy 32's be better? Those phils are boat anchors. Heavier than a single bike needs atmo. Fine hubs they are, but you can do the same thing with 1/2 of the weight and 2/3 cost.

JG

They are heavy ..... I too originally considered the Phils,
Installed Campy Whites instead

How about White Ind. hubs? ... Comparable quality and lot lighter ...
available in campmano and road and Mtn versions ....

J.Greene
12-18-2007, 09:42 AM
I once used the American Classic conversion cassette. Worked OK but not nearly as well as an actual Campagnolo cassette.

If I were doing that again I would try that Shiftmate thingie with a Shimano cassette, which I consider to be a good cassette.

I run the shiftmate and have found that to work better than the conversion cassettes.

BH, why the Phil hubs? What do you have in mind?

JG