PDA

View Full Version : Taking my bike on vacation.

KeithS
12-15-2007, 08:57 AM
On spring break last year I went to the LBS that advertised "we rent bikes" and the rental inventory was not so good. No real disapointment, the beach was great and we had a great time. My wife asked me why I didn't just ship my bike or bring it along somehow. I have an issue with the baggage handlers handeling my clothes much less my Serotta, I guess if I used a freight carrier I just wouldn't see the abuse. My LBS will give me a great deal on a loaner shipping box, so I have that covered.

My question is. What is the best method. Is it more cost effective/safe/convenient to ship via FedEx or UPS? Or just put it in the hold on the plane and pay the fees and take my chances. The absolute nightmare of airport/baggage claim/car rental/two kids and bride, big crowds of impatient, anxious, passive aggressive pasty faced pale swedes escaping for a week in the sun, then me schlepping a big box through the airport. We pack for a week like we're moving there. We rented a home so there is an address to ship it to but no one there to recieve it. At least no one I know. We have some friends we can ship it to in the area, to have someone recieve it or I know the bike shop on Marco Island will do it for a fee, but I don't really know them either.

My initial preference is leading to ship it and ship another box with trunk mount rack and the load up same. Additional detail - we are flying into Tampa and driving to Marco Island, don't ask - I know it's a long drive, it has to do with apparently we are not the only ones who thought it a good idea to leave Minnesota for Florida in the middle of March - and the flexibility of the airline that we have our frequent flyer miles..

Just looking for the voice of experience and any suggestions. One thing I have learned from my fellow forumites is there is never a lack of opinion.

barry1021
12-15-2007, 10:08 AM
On spring break last year I went to the LBS that advertised "we rent bikes" and the rental inventory was not so good. No real disapointment, the beach was great and we had a great time. My wife asked me why I didn't just ship my bike or bring it along somehow. I have an issue with the baggage handlers handeling my clothes much less my Serotta, I guess if I used a freight carrier I just wouldn't see the abuse. My LBS will give me a great deal on a loaner shipping box, so I have that covered.

My question is. What is the best method. Is it more cost effective/safe/convenient to ship via FedEx or UPS? Or just put it in the hold on the plane and pay the fees and take my chances. The absolute nightmare of airport/baggage claim/car rental/two kids and bride, big crowds of impatient, anxious, passive aggressive pasty faced pale swedes escaping for a week in the sun, then me schlepping a big box through the airport. We pack for a week like we're moving there. We rented a home so there is an address to ship it to but no one there to recieve it. At least no one I know. We have some friends we can ship it to in the area, to have someone recieve it or I know the bike shop on Marco Island will do it for a fee, but I don't really know them either.

My initial preference is leading to ship it and ship another box with trunk mount rack and the load up same. Additional detail - we are flying into Tampa and driving to Marco Island, don't ask - I know it's a long drive, it has to do with apparently we are not the only ones who thought it a good idea to leave Minnesota for Florida in the middle of March - and the flexibility of the airline that we have our frequent flyer miles..

Just looking for the voice of experience and any suggestions. One thing I have learned from my fellow forumites is there is never a lack of opinion.

the big negative with carrying is you are at the mercy of inspectors, plus you have to schlep it, and it sounds like your hands will be full. Packing well helps but you never know. You have more control shipping it, but you are without the bike for some time--giving you are leaving Minn, that may not be an issue. If it isn't I would send it to a friend. Most airlines charge in the $80 area to carry, so its pretty much a wash shipping. UPS stores are a total rip-off-they charge a huge premium for "oversized" packages now which makes the cost pretty high IMHO. If you have someone with a corporate rate, it will help. I don't know about Fedex, but I have had it with retail UPS.

b21

Bruce K
12-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Tony Prioli's shop (Chainwheel drive or close to that) is in Tampa but I don't know if he rents.

Tony, you out there?

Bike Route 1 in Ft. Myers used to rent some reasonable road machines. Nothing high end but adequate for a weeks vacation.

They're sort of on your way so you might want to give them a call.

The problem with carrying a bike and a trunk rack on the plane is that you have to do the assembly before you leave the airport.

Shipping same means you need someone to receive the big boxes and a way to get them to your vacation property before opening and using them.

You could just rent a minivan or SUV and carry the bike inside.

BK

J.Greene
12-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Last summer we shipped our bikes to a bike shop in Friday's Harbor in the Saun Juan islands. The shop had our bikes built and ready to go for a small fee. On the last day of our stay we dropped the bikes off at the shop again and they shipped them back. It was perfect, affordable, and I didn't need to lug the bikes around.

JG

Grant McLean
12-15-2007, 01:02 PM
It was perfect, affordable, and I didn't need to lug the bikes around.

JG

but did the bikes have lugs?

-g

Louis
12-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Based on my one (bad) experience of shipping my bike via Fed-Ex I would stick with renting locally, even if you have to dive a bit to an LBS that has something you want. Unless you are going to be doing some serious riding / miles the overall risk and hassle is just not worth it IMO. But that's just me. Some folks travel with their bikes a heck of a lot more than I and have no problems.

Have a good time.

Louis

stevep
12-15-2007, 01:31 PM
forget the bike.
walk on the beach.

rent a cruiser for a couple of days.

BumbleBeeDave
12-15-2007, 02:00 PM
the big negative with carrying is you are at the mercy of inspectors . . .

. . . the unpredictable human factor is also what scares me to death. Unless you've already been to the airports you're going through, you have no idea of the security arrangements or how far along in the process you can keep an eye on your bike. You have to assume they will open the case, and you have to assume whoever opens the case will not know much about bikes, cases, or how to make sure to repack and close it correctly. Here in Albany the inspections are done in a separate room and you can't even watch. In Kansas City because of the design of the airport they are done in an area right next to check in and you can at least watch, though you're 15 feet away and I'm not sure how much you could do if you saw them closing the case with the derailleur still sticking out.

But the other part of this is that the TSA people are like customs agents. They are totally, absolutely unaccountable for any damage they do to your $6,000 (or more) bike. Some of them do care. Some of them do not. A few of them are obviously on little tin Hitler power trips and take great delight in the misery they have the power to inflict on travelers. But that's the point. You just don't know. You may run into the one who doesn't care and you will not win any argument with them, even if you politely point out that they are closing the case with your derailleur still sticking out.

Some years ago my then-wife and I were returning from Victoria BC to Port Angeles, WA on the car ferry (as pedestrians) and watched the US customs agents inspecting cars as they pulled off the ferry. They obviously had a quota to fill--every tenth car or some such. They picked out a young couple with two small children in a VW bus with US plates jammed to the gills with camping equipment, kids toys, etc. They made these people stand there and watch as they pulled every item possible out of his camper and poked through it while the mom tried to quiet the screaming kids. Then after pulling it all out, they threw it in a pile on the pavement and walked away. These poor folks forlornly started picking things up and trying to fit them back in the car as the kids continued to scream. That episode still haunts me whenever I consider taking my bike along in the Trico box in this post-911 world because i feel like that same thing could happen to my bike box.

BBD

Blue Jays
12-15-2007, 02:11 PM
If it's a one-month vacation or a cycling-specific vacation, obtain a proper bicycle box. If you're going away for a week, simply go running on the beach or pay daily gym fees to maintain fitness.

With that said, definitely examine the Tri All 3 Velo-Safe Custom Road (http://www.triall3sports.com/bike.html) as you consider this purchase. The nice thing is that one can pack LOTS of clothes, helmets, shoes, pumps, and anything else that might be needed on an extended riding vacation. Once I secure my bike inside, I cover it in thick black plastic (to prevent any greasy stains) and then completely fill the case with other items. It really helps lock the bicycle into place. The case rolls beautifully through airports with the detachable nylon leash and you can just stack your reduced amount of remaining baggage on top. The bulky size of the case also prevents baggage handlers from throwing the thing around, which is an added peace-of-mind benefit. This is the case to have if transporting custom bikes or ones where ANY damage is absolutely unacceptable.

The body of the case is a thick, high-grade polyethylene plastic. The perimeter is crafted of durable steel and there is a well-fitting PVC bar in the center section secured between rubber fixtures to prevent crush damage. There are two fixed wheels and two pivoting casters on heavy steel platforms bolted to the floor, along with a QR fitting for the forks. There is no need to remove pedals, handlebars, or stem. All that needs to be detached is wheels and pulling the seatpost/saddle from the frame. Mark it with tape to make reinsertion a snap. At your destination, you'll be on the bike as fast as you can reattach your wheels and slide the seatpost into the frame.

http://images.competitivecyclist.com/images/products/tas/2007/7663_i_1.jpg

When stored, the two halves fit handily inside each other. They can be filled and slid beneath a shelf. This is easily the nicest travel case I've owned and would never seek another vendor. Good luck with your purchase.

Blue Jays
12-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Good points by BumbleBeeDave above. The larger and busier the airport, the faster the degradation in courtesy, decency, and friendliness. You could drive a portion of the trip and take the AutoTrain the rest of the way...

Kervin
12-15-2007, 02:21 PM
What I've done before is ship my bike via UPS to a bike shop that is pretty close to where I am staying and sells reasonable level stuff. They held the box for me during my stay. I do try to buy some stuff from the shop when I pick it up. I also put something cool in the box for the person that is building it. That was a few years ago. Now the shipping cost are so high, I'd just bring my shoes and saddle and rent something.

Bruce K
12-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Actually, I discovered in talking to a couple of TSA "managers", that if you politely ask, they will sometimes allow you to witness the inspection from outside a roped off area while they check the bike.

Other airports will bring it back to you and watch you re-pack it after they have done their thing.

The comment made to me was that they have as little desire to damage your bike as you do in having it damaged so they are willing to try and work with you.

So far it has worked for me every time.

I am guessing results on this request will vary based on airport and passenger traffic load.

BK

barry1021
12-15-2007, 02:54 PM
. . . the unpredictable human factor is also what scares me to death. Unless you've already been to the airports you're going through, you have no idea of the security arrangements or how far along in the process you can keep an eye on your bike. You have to assume they will open the case, and you have to assume whoever opens the case will not know much about bikes, cases, or how to make sure to repack and close it correctly. Here in Albany the inspections are done in a separate room and you can't even watch. In Kansas City because of the design of the airport they are done in an area right next to check in and you can at least watch, though you're 15 feet away and I'm not sure how much you could do if you saw them closing the case with the derailleur still sticking out.

But the other part of this is that the TSA people are like customs agents. They are totally, absolutely unaccountable for any damage they do to your $6,000 (or more) bike. Some of them do care. Some of them do not. A few of them are obviously on little tin Hitler power trips and take great delight in the misery they have the power to inflict on travelers. But that's the point. You just don't know. You may run into the one who doesn't care and you will not win any argument with them, even if you politely point out that they are closing the case with your derailleur still sticking out.

Some years ago my then-wife and I were returning from Victoria BC to Port Angeles, WA on the car ferry (as pedestrians) and watched the US customs agents inspecting cars as they pulled off the ferry. They obviously had a quota to fill--every tenth car or some such. They picked out a young couple with two small children in a VW bus with US plates jammed to the gills with camping equipment, kids toys, etc. They made these people stand there and watch as they pulled every item possible out of his camper and poked through it while the mom tried to quiet the screaming kids. Then after pulling it all out, they threw it in a pile on the pavement and walked away. These poor folks forlornly started picking things up and trying to fit them back in the car as the kids continued to scream. That episode still haunts me whenever I consider taking my bike along in the Trico box in this post-911 world because i feel like that same thing could happen to my bike box.

BBD

I was going thru customs to catch my connecting flight which was tight. I got pulled out for a more complete inspection, at which point I politely said to the agent that my flight has arrived late and that my connecting flight was in 15 minutes.
THe kid, maybe 25, dumped my suitcase out on the table, looked thru it slowly, then walked away without saying anything.
Spend the night in a fleabag hotel, and got the first flight out.

b21

Fixed
12-15-2007, 03:40 PM

what size ? i can loan you one
cheers

GregL
12-15-2007, 05:39 PM
If you can stand being "bikeless" while the bike is in transit (or if you have more than one bike), I recommend shipping your personal bike to your vacation destination. Use a good, hard shell case (e.g., Trico). I own a case (birthday gift from very thoughtful wife!), but they are usually available for rental from a local bike shop. The cycling club I belong to owns several cases which are available for loan to club members.

I like FedEx Ground for shipping. From my home in upstate NY to my typical vacation destination in south FL, the transit time is 4 days. The price is very reasonable (~$30-35 including insurance last I checked). You can track the shipment's progress from their website.

I've never had any problems whatsoever using FedEx Ground. The bike was waiting for me at my destination. No hassles from airlines or TSA, no need for a larger rental vehicle. My wife liked the idea so much that we typically ship another box full of vacation gear (toys, beach blanket, etc...) along with the bike. I even prepare the return shipping documents in advance so that shipping the bike home is as easy as re-packing and dropping at the local FedEx office.

Regards,
Greg

BumbleBeeDave
12-15-2007, 06:17 PM
. . . I'd just bring my shoes and saddle and rent something.

. . . my first option. The only place I've been going regularly the last few years is the KC area, and I found a bike shop there that will do a rental for me. (Chris Smedley at the Bike Shack in Grandview. Great people, great shop!) So I just don't bother--call Chris, reserve the bike, and take my pedals, shoes, and helmet and some clothes. If it were a special cycling only trip--like to France for TdF climbs or something--then I'd go to the trouble to take the nice bike. But for a regular old "business" trip and just for stress management and to keep up fitness, I just go with Kervin's solution . . .

BBD

KeithS
12-15-2007, 09:55 PM
for all the input guys. I think the ship to LBS is the way I'm going to do it. I was never fond of the idea of bringing it along on the plane, being without it for a few days is not an issue. This is Minnesota after all, I don't ride my Serotta outdoors from November to April, that's what the beater bikes are for. The only upside of having it with me when I land in Tampa was the idea that I could try and talk Fixed into meeting me for a ride while we were in Tampa overnight. Not that he seems difficult to convince of these things.

Thanks all for the advice. Now does anyone know of any good places to ride around Marco/Naples? I may just take SteveP's advice and walk the beach, like we did last year, not the running type. There just seems to be so many cool places to ride around that part of FL. High blue hair coefficient...

Fixed
12-16-2007, 08:01 AM
let me know bro i'll give you the tour it will be fun
cheers :beer: i'll come up with a ride for you, just let me know your frame size

ericspin
12-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Tony Prioli's shop (Chainwheel drive or close to that) is in Tampa but I don't know if he rents.

Tony, you out there?
BK

Bruce,

Tony has moved on (much to my dismay) to a new gig in the 'puter biz. Although I think he may still do a thing or two out of his garage.