PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Cycling Tours?

TomP
12-15-2007, 06:23 AM
I have been on two Andy Hampsten tours in Italy. One was in Tuscany and the other last year in the Dolomites. Both were fantastic. This year, I would like to go on one either in Northern California, or British Columbia. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm thinking of August, going for about a week, and with some moderately hard riding. Thanks!

Blue Jays
12-15-2007, 06:35 AM
How about booking the Tour of California ~ Solvang (http://www.hampsten.com/Lounge/toc.html) for 240 miles riding / 13,300 feet of climbing over the course of five days early next year?

There is also the Spring Classic Camp ~ Los Alamos (http://www.hampsten.com/Lounge/springclassic.html) for 380 miles of riding / 25,000 feet of climbing over seven days in early-Spring?

As far as late-Summer goes...will have to leave that to the others. I have heard good things about Western Spirit Cycle Tours (http://www.westernspirit.com/trips/rb-undiscovered_california/undiscovered_california.html) and you would have to see what they're doing about announcing more summertime rides.

jmewkill
12-15-2007, 07:02 AM
I have been on two Andy Hampsten tours in Italy. One was in Tuscany and the other last year in the Dolomites. Both were fantastic. This year, I would like to go on one either in Northern California, or British Columbia. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm thinking of August, going for about a week, and with some moderately hard riding. Thanks!
Tom,
What bike were you riding on the Dolomite trip? So many faces and names I can only recall people by their bikes.

White Kirk for me.

Jim

TomP
12-15-2007, 07:45 AM
Hi Jim,

I was riding a Merlin Extralight. Now that was some nice climbing.

TomP
12-15-2007, 07:49 AM
Thanks Blue Jays. That may work great. Our anniversary is in February and my wife would love it.

jmewkill
12-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Tom,
I think Coppolillo did some guiding for Western Spirit awhile back. He may be a resource on recommendations.

I am looking forward to going back those climbs one day.

Jim

Walter
12-15-2007, 09:01 AM
I have been on a couple of the Breaking Away tours some years ago in conjunction with major races. Very well done: superb organization, flexible, no hassles, & great riding. Highly recommended.

Ti-Boy
12-15-2007, 03:07 PM
I did two Western Spirit Tours mountain biking trips. The trips/people/organization/food were outstanding.

Pete Serotta
12-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Steve Hampsten has some wonderful camps in SOLVANG (Feb and March) I think those are the ones that were referred to above.

As to AUGUST, I would suggest the SANTA ROSA area (in fact you can probably make your own tour by getting routes from the SANTA ROSA (alexander valley area) cycling club.

Folks here can give you some names of good Inns. If you want a high comfort tour look at BACKROADS.

PETE

CNY rider
12-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Tom if dbrk is so good as to have another Ramble this summer, stop by the Finger Lakes and get some riding in.
I have an Hors that might fit you just right. ;)

DarrenCT
12-15-2007, 07:41 PM
how about a bike tour that offers the best beer and wine?

anyone?

TomP
12-16-2007, 06:52 AM
Tom if dbrk is so good as to have another Ramble this summer, stop by the Finger Lakes and get some riding in.
I have an Hors that might fit you just right. ;)

Hey Buddy,

How are you liking the Hor's and how's life treating you?

Crazy Chris
12-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Look at the Colorado HeartCycle website: heartcycle.org The new schedule for '08 should be out in January. HeartCycle is a non-profit, uses two SAGs and visits interesting places, e.g. Europe and Vietnam recently. I toured with them in Texas Hill Country; except for the heat and the humidity an excellent trip. I have heard that the organizers of that trip will do two trips in '08--Big Bend National Park and Utah to Jackson Hole and environs. A tandem couple will lead a trip in the San Juan Islands of Washington State. I have done trips to southern Utah, Idaho, northern New Mexico, southeast Arizona, and two in Colorado. Small groups of around 25 people. Shared room or pay half again for your own room where possible. Worth a look.

bocarider
12-17-2007, 07:25 PM
DarrenCT:

My wife and I have done the Backroads California Wine Country trip. The wine tasting opportunities are ridiculous – Berringer, Silver Oak, Opus, Hanna, Modavi. We made a reservation at Caymus and went off the prescribed route and did a tasting in our sweaty bike gear among the polo shirted crowd that was there.

This past summer, we did the longer trip that Backroads has in Tuscany and road through the regions that produce Chianti, Brunello, and Vino Noble. No tastings during the day, but we had some great wines at diner in the evenings. The riding and food didn’t suck either.

Backroads and Trek both put a big emphasis of the food and wine components of a lot of their trips.

maunahaole
12-17-2007, 07:46 PM
If you want to do some nice tasting and riding in California, park in Plymouth and ride up and around the Shenandoah Valley area in Amador County. The wineries are for the most part small, low key and friendly. The tasting is less expensive as well. The local vines feature a lot of zinfandel and sangiovese. A lot less traffic than Napa or Sonoma. The big plus is that Plymouth is at the bottom of the hill.

Jack Brunk
12-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Tom,

Go to the eagle cyling club of Napa valley and check out their tour of Napa Valley(tthe ride is usually on Sun). If it works for you, I will be planning my usual 5 day trip to Napa around that ride. I can show you a week plus amount of fantastic riding and you'll save a whole bunch of cash. The ride usually has 1500 plus riders and it's a great time of year to visit the Valley. I can show you some great wineries around the valley that very few people know about.

Vancouverdave
12-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Check out the 2008 Ride Around Washington, on cascade.org. It's going to be spectacular. You'll need heat tolerance--central WA in August.
There is a slight risk of a volcanic eruption during the ride, too. Are you the Tom from Colorado that was on the Eroica tour in 2006?

sg8357
12-18-2007, 10:17 AM
France & Switzerland, Michelin Red Guide for city maps and where to eat.
Lonely Planet & Relais & Chateau for where to stay.
Bring bike and SO, have fun.

Switzerland is like DisneyLand for bikies, but cleaner and better run.
Lovely big hills and a nationwide sag service, SBB aka Swiss Rail.

Scott G.

fiamme red
12-18-2007, 10:21 AM
France & Switzerland, Michelin Red Guide for city maps and where to eat.
Lonely Planet & Relais & Chateau for where to stay.
Bring bike and SO, have fun.

Switzerland is like DisneyLand for bikies, but cleaner and better run.
Lovely big hills and a nationwide sag service, SBB aka Swiss Rail.

Scott G.Great advice. :beer:

BumpyintheBurgh
12-19-2007, 10:49 AM
For British Columbia, I highly recommend Peter Weiland's Rocky Mountain Cycle Tours. www.rockymountaincycle.com
Peter is a great guy and avid cyclist who leads the trips. He has a top notch team of guides who work for him. Last summer we did the Jasper to Banff trip and had a wonderful time with spectacular scenery.
He also does a British Columbia Mountain Lakes Region tour which takes you through the Revelstoke, Kootenay BC area. After the great time we had on the Banff trip, we're thinking about going on the mountain lakes tour next summer. Peter also does a Gulf Islands Tour of the islands off the coast of Vancouver, BC. He lives in the Whistler BC area and can be found on the slopes of Whistler/Blackcomb during the winter giving ski lessons.