PDA

View Full Version : shouder sling, trainer sweat?

Fat Robert
12-14-2007, 05:47 AM
ok

did my clavicle last night

good news: rode on it for an hour after i went down, just didn't do any mounts or dismounts, so it must not be that bad (I didn't see the x-rays)

bad news: it is, you know, well, broken.

so

how to manage the trainer sweat problem? a second sling? just let this one get funky? cut a piece of towel and put it inside? what?

ericspin
12-14-2007, 06:04 AM
I had two slings when I broke mine. One for dress up and one for play!!

hypnos
12-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Take the winter off. Sit on the sofa and drink :beer: .

Too Tall
12-14-2007, 08:00 AM
Did I miss this before? When did you break your clavicle and ***?
Am MORE concerned about aggressively treating post recovery. These are nasty and painful to rehab esp. if you delay. Let me know dewd, my pals are not allowed to get hurt...did you miss the memo?

Ozz
12-14-2007, 08:19 AM
ok

did my clavicle last night...
bummer....let's hear the story.

Did you go cheap on the trail light and run into somethin?

Best wishes for speedy recovery!

sg8357
12-14-2007, 08:21 AM
At least you picked the right time of year.
Post some xrays. My doc said Ti fixation bits can break, so I went with
stainless steel.

I had a cloth sling, washed cold, it survived.
There was a more elaborate thing involving lots of straps, that
I took off for the trainer and used the cloth sling.

Fat Robert
12-14-2007, 08:42 AM
too tall

was rolling 'cross with my pal

effed up a fast, descending radius sweeper that i've done dozens of times

landed on shoulder

rode another three laps after (45 min) -- kinda stoopid

x-rays at a mcdoc last night

ortho today

its near the humerus, my guess is non-displced, non-angulated (don't think I could have hammered around the course like I did, or get in and out of the saddle, if it is)

doc said the x-rays showed an old fracture. news to me....

DarrenCT
12-14-2007, 08:47 AM
robert

sorry to hear bro. enjoy the relaxation and get well soon

-d

Fat Robert
12-14-2007, 08:52 AM
relaxation?

i'm riding the trainer

got 'cross races and crits in jan

asthma will kick in around may

the future is now, baby

Too Tall
12-14-2007, 08:52 AM
Dewd, you got lucky....living right I'm guessing.

93legendti
12-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Bummer, hope it heals quickly.

From your other post about turning the house temp down to 65 to ride, I am guessing you don't use a fan when you ride the trainer. If so, that would be where I would start. I do not know how anyone would ride the trainer without a fan.

chrisroph
12-14-2007, 09:50 AM
sorry you wrecked

hope it heals quickly and completely

maybe its a sign that you should take an itty bitty little bit of rest, usually the last thing us nutty cyclists ever seem to understand

slowgoing
12-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Two slings. Either one clean, one dirty, or just wash one while you wear the other. And wear a headband.

Fat Robert
12-14-2007, 09:59 AM
sorry you wrecked

hope it heals quickly and completely

maybe its a sign that you should take an itty bitty little bit of rest, usually the last thing us nutty cyclists ever seem to understand

thanks

just got through with a rest week

i tried to push it harder through that turn than i ever have before, didn't countersteer hard enough, bounced off a hedge

my pal thom is an ex-hotshot bmx'r with sweet handling skills -- i was trying to match him through that turn, and zunked myself for it

bad bike handling is to blame

Ginger
12-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Ah, something I have lots of experience with...Two slings. One for the trainer that you only wash when it gets too disgusting or once a week...and one for "regular" wear.

You can keep your fitness up while you heal your upper body.

vaxn8r
12-14-2007, 03:16 PM
You're looking at 6 weeks before you can race, is my guess. It's possible you may need surgery. Chance for non union in....old guys.

Fat Robert
12-14-2007, 03:25 PM
You're looking at 6 weeks before you can race, is my guess. It's possible you may need surgery. Chance for non union in....old guys.

just got back from the ortho

said mine was the way to break it -- non displaced, non-angulated, no fragments, not a deep fracture, and right on the end so it has plenty of support from the ligaments

maybe two weeks in the sling, then two more weeks of just trainer riding until I'm on the road

will probably miss winter cross, but will make the start of crits

PaulE
12-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident. Sounds like you will be back soon. Ask your doctor about taking calcium citrate and vitamin D to help your clavicle heal - unfortunately none of us are getting any younger. Also make sure you don't lose any range of motion on that side after you've recovered, although it sounds like you won't be too imobilized while you're healing.

stevep
12-14-2007, 04:26 PM
do me a favor robert.
take 5 days off and then get on the trainer.
will work better.
you will lose nothing in 5 days except yr sling.
and drink a lot of milk.

a week after that and you can go out and beat the 'ell out of yrself

manet
12-14-2007, 04:35 PM
do me a favor robert.
will work better.
and drink a lot of milk.

years ago, before they cabled your part of new belgium, we had quite a time here on the forum dealing with milk stains on jerseys.

Dr. Doofus
12-14-2007, 06:54 PM
do me a favor robert.
will work better.
and drink a lot of milk.

if pooch says it

i gotta do it

palincss
12-15-2007, 07:15 AM
relaxation?

i'm riding the trainer

got 'cross races and crits in jan

I hardly think that would be smart. January is only 2 weeks away, and the chance of that broken collar bone healing properly by then are somewhere close to zero. Crash again with an unhealed break, and there's a chance you could spoil the rest of your cycling life.

vaxn8r
12-15-2007, 02:52 PM
I hardly think that would be smart. January is only 2 weeks away, and the chance of that broken collar bone healing properly by then are somewhere close to zero. Crash again with an unhealed break, and there's a chance you could spoil the rest of your cycling life.
It'll be "sticky" in 3 or 4 weeks, but I agree, I'd give it another 2 before risking a hit. You might get a way with it but is a January race worth it? Not for me atmo.

Heal fast.

palincss
12-15-2007, 04:02 PM
It'll be "sticky" in 3 or 4 weeks, but I agree, I'd give it another 2 before risking a hit. You might get a way with it but is a January race worth it? Not for me atmo.

Heal fast.

You can't count on that. When I broke mine in 1995, it took me almost a year before it fully healed properly. The doctor kept telling me it was all my fault because I couldn't stay off the bike the whole time as he suggested, but I think simply being over 50 had something to do with it, too.

Dr. Doofus
12-15-2007, 04:10 PM
you guys have me sold

no winter 'cross series in jan

(dang it...missed the fall 'crosss series cause of a class)

will do the feb crits though

didn't use my sling today...can wash my hair, brush my teeth, wipe my butt, all that fun stuff...so far so good