PDA

View Full Version : East Coast Snow Storm - Are you guys ready?

DarrenCT
12-13-2007, 06:02 AM
supposed to get about 5 inches here in Connecticut. Saturday is apparently supposed to be worse.

some school's have already canceled the day and it's not even snowing yet. whadddda bunch of wimps!!#

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/1268/snowstorm7678wu8.th.jpg (http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snowstorm7678wu8.jpg)

myette10
12-13-2007, 06:06 AM
effen a right... bring it on!!!

William
12-13-2007, 06:20 AM
Heavy Snow Warning last night. Predicting 6 - 10 inches for Thursday evening into Friday morning.

Yee Haww!!! :banana:

William

Peter P.
12-13-2007, 06:29 AM
I'm scheduled to service some radio equipment today that's AT THE TOP of a ski slope in Pittsfield MA (Bosquet Ski Area). I actually have to take the lift to the top of the mountain with my equipment! Let's hope I don't forget anything because it's a LONG trip back to my truck!

Then, when presumably the storm will be starting (midday), I have to go to Springfield to do the same.

Boss sends me an e-mail this morning-"Hey Pete; if you have time after Springfield, can you PM the site in Hartford as well?"

I don't think that'll be happening.

To keep this cycling related, today is my day off-no rollers.

old_school
12-13-2007, 06:32 AM
fark ... 6"-10" and we have a x-mass party booked for tonight, along with several other good reservations. The Saturday/Sunday doesn't look any better.
Can anyone tell me how much fish we will be needing for the weekend?

Fixed
12-13-2007, 06:59 AM
I'm scheduled to service some radio equipment today that's AT THE TOP of a ski slope in Pittsfield MA (Bosquet Ski Area). I actually have to take the lift to the top of the mountain with my equipment! Let's hope I don't forget anything because it's a LONG trip back to my truck!

Then, when presumably the storm will be starting (midday), I have to go to Springfield to do the same.

Boss sends me an e-mail this morning-"Hey Pete; if you have time after Springfield, can you PM the site in Hartford as well?"

I don't think that'll be happening.

To keep this cycling related, today is my day off-no rollers.
bro sounds like an adventure be cool be safe
cheers

Tom
12-13-2007, 07:05 AM
I want it to snow like hell, and then pop up to 40 or so just for a couple of days long enough for the banks to retreat a little. Then I'll get to go out riding with lots of snow all around to look at. That's when you're really stealing it.

dauwhe
12-13-2007, 07:08 AM
Skiing is more fun than biking.

There, I've said it! :)

Dave

CNY rider
12-13-2007, 07:10 AM

Dave

Right now, I would agree with you.
The past week has been a series of ice storms for us. No good for skiing, awful for biking and just about anything else.
Looking forward to some powder!

Kevan
12-13-2007, 07:49 AM
shot ta hell.

ClutchCargo
12-13-2007, 07:53 AM

Dave

Winter is the time to focus on the broads !

er, I mean "boards" . . . yeah, that's right, boards. yeah
:D

p.s. this wkend will find me cuttin' through the fluff 'n' crud up in Vermont,
on my Atomic Metron M11's. hope the storm(s) put down enough cover for
some tree skiin'! Sweeeeeet !!!

ti_boi
12-13-2007, 08:02 AM
I could go for some snowboaring....this is my local hill:

http://www.mountaincreek.com/

....45 minutes from me...not bad if they get some real snow there.
Can be a little crowded though...another little hill is around the corner...a 'secret spot'....

I put my snow tires on last week...to some mild mocking from my wife...gee aren't you glad you put 'those' on.....uh, yeah....I am. Thanks! :banana:

DarrenCT
12-13-2007, 08:14 AM

Dave

you should have to climb up the mountain in order to go down.

buncha wimps :)

ti_boi
12-13-2007, 08:27 AM
:cool: as long as it stays powdery....the sleet...not so good.

pjm
12-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Could be good news for the New York Jets. Maybe with bad weather, the slaughter won't be so bad on Sunday. :p

roman meal
12-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Aaaaah! We're surrounded!

DarrenCT
12-13-2007, 09:22 AM
snow isnt here yet. im heading out to spin!

-snowy d

DarrenCT
12-13-2007, 10:26 AM
JUST starting snowing here.

went from nothing to heavy snow :p

Kevan
12-13-2007, 10:28 AM
we're about to be buried alive.

DarrenCT
12-13-2007, 10:30 AM
we're about to be buried alive.

Let's go to the Captain Lawrence brewery so we'll at least have beer to keep
us warm

GregL
12-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Here in the Siber-acuse area, anything less than 2 feet is just a minor annoyance...

Seriously, upstate NY residents (especially those in the lake effect zones) are a hardy lot. Snowfall that would paralyze other areas is taken in stride. I can't wait to XC ski this weekend!

Regards,
Greg

Kevan
12-13-2007, 10:51 AM
a palm tree.

Bruce K
12-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Nothing here yet. The snowblower is gassed and ready to go.

The kid has the SUV at school until tomorrow night and I forgot to put the snows on the Mini Cooper. :crap:

At least the BMW has AWD.

They're predicting 6" here starting any time until about midnight and our bike club holiday party is tonight.

BK

ti_boi
12-13-2007, 11:32 AM
It's rough out there...a lot of non drivers with the wrong tires spinning away....but the X is rockin! baahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa eat my dust people. :rolleyes:

pjm
12-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Changed the oil in my snowblower last night. Shot down to the local Pep Boys to get a quart while the oil drained. Grab the bottle off the shelf and when I get up to the cashier I discover the bottom of the bottle is covered with oil, which is now all over my nice clean jacket! I ask the girl if they'd like to pick up my drycleaning tab. I got a blank stare. At least she gave me a paper towel.

I'm sick of winter already, and its not even here yet. :crap: :fight:

dauwhe
12-13-2007, 11:55 AM

I do. By skiing I mean cross-country and backcountry skiing. I do not enjoy the lifts!

:)

Dave

Andreas
12-13-2007, 12:15 PM

?????

No other option skiing Mt. Washington.

Lifts are for people who ride bicycles with gears :D

William
12-13-2007, 12:18 PM
We're at about 2.5 - 3 inches already and coming down fast. Bunch of du-mosses on the road. I went to pick up the kids in the old landcruiser. Felt it starting to slip a little so I got out and locked the hubs in. Hooked up and was like driving on dry pavement. Got to love the old skewel 4X4. :cool:

William

Dave Hickey
12-13-2007, 12:21 PM
We're at about 2.5 - 3 inches already and coming down fast. Bunch of du-mosses on the road. I went to pick up the kids in the old landcruiser. Felt it starting to slip a little so I got out and locked the hubs in. Hooked up and was like driving on dry pavement. Got to love the old skewel 4X4. :cool:

William

Any one in the Windsor Locks, CT area? I have to decide whether to close an office...

William
12-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Any one in the Windsor Locks, CT area? I have to decide whether to close an office...

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/USCT0266?from=36hr_fcstHourLink_undeclared

Currently heavy snow there, but I can't find a current amount of snowfall listed. I'm East and a little south of there and we're getting socked at the moment. They just closed my wifes office down in Wakefield.

William

Dave Hickey
12-13-2007, 12:45 PM
http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/USCT0266?from=36hr_fcstHourLink_undeclared

Currently heavy snow there, but I can't find a current amount of snowfall listed. I'm East and a little south of there and we're getting socked at the moment. They just closed my wifes office down in Wakefield.

William

Thanks....It's difficult making that call when I'm sitting here in Texas... We're going to shut it down,,,

davids
12-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Someone flipped the switch here in downtown Boston. A few lazy flakes drifted by my window an hour ago (half of them heading up...) An hour later, there's 1/2" on the sidewalks, and we're shutting down for the day.

roman meal
12-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Someone flipped the switch here in downtown Boston. A few lazy flakes drifted by my window an hour ago (half of them heading up...) An hour later, there's 1/2" on the sidewalks, and we're shutting down for the day.

Sigh.. We're still on here at UNH. I want to go drink beer. Hey, that never stopped the students..

William
12-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks....It's difficult making that call when I'm sitting here in Texas... We're going to shut it down,,,

WOW! I have the power!!! :banana:
Anyone else want to go home for the day?? ;) :)

Not a problem,
William

Dave Hickey
12-13-2007, 01:47 PM
WOW! I have the power!!! :banana:
Anyone else want to go home for the day?? ;) :)

Not a problem,
William

Ha ...you give a great second opinion.... The manager in CT called me this morning and according to him, the world was coming to an end....I wanted to confirm from a second source that it's that bad... :beer:

cheers

stevep
12-13-2007, 02:03 PM
snowing hard here.
just lit the wood stove for the first time. nice and warm.

last winter- never lit it once.. it was really warm pretty much all winter.

ti_boi
12-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Turning to rain....icy....rain.

Wife...child...dogs...and I all home...good to be here. :beer:

roman meal
12-13-2007, 02:27 PM
snowing hard here.

Steve-

I' sending about 3,500 drunken undergraduates down to your house for a party.
How much Keystone Light do you have?

stevep
12-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Steve-

I' sending about 3,500 drunken undergraduates down to your house for a party.
How much Keystone Light do you have?

there's a half a case and 1 bottle of chimay that you could not find last time you were in my refrigerator...it was under the box of tubes in the basement.

roman meal
12-13-2007, 02:53 PM
there's a half a case and 1 bottle of chimay that you could not find last time you were in my refrigerator...it was under the box of tubes in the basement.

That'll have to do. Pinto's getting Flounder's brothers Lincoln ready.

Dave Hickey
12-13-2007, 03:00 PM
That'll have to do. Pinto's getting Flounder's brothers Lincoln ready.

was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

davids
12-13-2007, 03:40 PM
snowing hard here.

Remember last year's cross nats? It was frickin balmy.

I just spent an hour shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. When I finished round 1, there was another inch of snow where I'd started. And then the snowplows went by.

Save one of those Keystone Lites for me.

Blue Jays
12-13-2007, 03:51 PM
"...I want to go drink beer..."Isn't that a line from the old Cheers television show or something?

"I think I'll have another beer."
"And why wouldn't you?!"

:beer:

stevep
12-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Remember last year's cross nats? It was frickin balmy.

I just spent an hour shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. When I finished round 1, there was another inch of snow where I'd started. And then the snowplows went by.

Save one of those Keystone Lites for me.

its here when you finish shoveling.

davids
12-13-2007, 04:09 PM
its here when you finish shoveling.
I'll just hop in my car. Where in CT did you leave it?

myette10
12-13-2007, 04:59 PM
days like this remind me why I love NE, even in the winter.

let it snow.

stevep
12-13-2007, 05:36 PM
I'll just hop in my car. Where in CT did you leave it?

yeah, i forgot about that.
you owe me some money for a bus ticket home...
thanks for the reminder.
s

Karin Kirk
12-13-2007, 07:12 PM
There is a certain sound... a sort of whump...whump
as you flop one ski and then the other down onto the soft powder and prepare to step into them. Skiers, do you know that sound? It's a beautiful thing, filled with anticipation of powder turns about to be realized.

That was the sound this morning, with an unforecasted snow event here, which deposited snow at a rate of 1 inch per hour at the ski hill while the sun was shining in town. Days like this are such a treat because no one knows its snowing and the place stays empty for endless freshies. The snow started at 7:00 and we got over 6 inches in a hurry. We got 11" throughout the day. And what a fine day it was! :)

I hope you east coast skiers get a nice storm. And for the non-skiers, I hope the driving/shoveling is not too bad.

roman meal
12-13-2007, 07:17 PM
It's a nice, powdery snow. I hope the nor'easter snow we get on Sunday doesn't kill it too soon.

DarrenCT
12-13-2007, 09:13 PM
It's a nice, powdery snow. I hope the nor'easter snow we get on Sunday doesn't kill it too soon.

for sure.

good snowball weather today.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1524/snowballfightyk2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

DarrenCT
12-13-2007, 09:15 PM
remember the old snowball trick when you toss up a high one and then sock the guy right in the nuts????