PDA

View Full Version : Too Tall Is Just a Wimp

Sandy
07-31-2004, 08:28 AM
So I lead a ride yesterday at which 2 cyclists show up with bikes made be Lennard Zinn. The wife is 5'4" and the husband is 6'6" (Actually appeared shorter). Anyway Too Tall, the husband, who wears size 14 shoes had a bike with crank arms that made me think that Too Tall is just a wimp. I believe that you use mere 180 mm cranks. This real man, this real cyclist, had 195 mm cranks (which looked like little fan blades), and he told me that Lennard Zinn uses 205 mm cranks.

So Too Tall, or should I say Not Too Tough, aren't you stong enough to turn 195 cranks? Do you have a power producing problem? No endurance? What IS your problem? Please tell. You were my idol, my inspiration. Now I find out that Too Tall is just a wimp. I am devastated, truly devastated.

Ordering 205.5 mm cranks,

Sometimes Cranky But Always Serotta Sandy

William
07-31-2004, 10:37 AM
I was in Barnes & Noble last week and came across one of L. Zinns books in the cycling section. The chapter on cranks caught my attention. Some of his testing was interesting and made sense...anatomically speaking, for the case of longer cranks for taller riders.
When I bought my DA grouppo, 180's were the max (as far as I knew). If they had longer ones I would have gone for it. Now that I know that there are longer ones available I'm going to have to re-visit the issue.

Calling Too Tall a wimp? :confused: :no: Sandy, you better watch out for his magical, massaging, manipulating, myofascia separating, monogamous, moose like elbows. He might want to manipulate your noggin with them for speaking such things. :D

Wincing (in anticipation of the coming melon like thud) William :D

Sandy
07-31-2004, 11:39 AM
I know that I am afraid of you, but certainly not the Wimp. I have a close animal friend,a boa constrictor, Squeezing Sally.

If Wimp aka Too Tall even thinks about touching me with one of those elbows, he will get my message:

Squeezing Sally Sending Supersonic Smashing Shoulder Separating Squeezes

:) Sally and Sandy :)

PS- I'm really not afraid of you either, since Sally has a friend- Pulverizing Python Paul :D :D

Smiley
07-31-2004, 12:08 PM
William and all believers in using longer leverages for your cranks , I think Zinn builds his frames with Higher BB to accomodate this feature. I would not venture to go too long with say a 8 cm bb drop . But I do believe it can be done but not with 205 mm cranks. Personnally I'd like to see Sandy using longer cranks cause he's a spinmiester using 175's currently . :banana:
The Captain who works hard to turn 172.5's :banana:

Kevan
08-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Sandy's already a pretty big crank already. :D