PDA

View Full Version : OT: Barry Bonds-Interesting Perspective

Acotts
12-12-2007, 06:18 AM
So, my girlfreind’s father-in-law told me an interesting tidbit last night. I thought I would share. This comes from her father, an ardent baseball card collector and amateur ball player, who learned this tidbit while talking with a former MLB’er who was on the 88 pirate team. This was about 7-8 years ago, before all this steroids stuff blew-up. I know, I know. Sh*tty connection. But bear with me.

So, the former MLB’er was talking about how strange Barry Bonds was as a person, and said something along the line of how “unless you really know him, you will never understand him because he just is not like you and me.”

When asked “what do you mean” this is what he said. [I am switching to first person now to make this easier to write.]

Barry Bonds is just not like you and me. You have to understand, he had no youth. He grew up in the locker rooms and in the field house. His dad Bobby used to take him everywhere with him. He would go to all the games, and hag out in the clubhouse as soon as he could walk. Bobby loved his son, and his son loved baseball. Just like Barry and his son now, Barry used to sit next to his dad in the dugout and was the batboy. Willy was the same way. Neither Bobby or Willy could leave the job at work. They talked baseball all the time. The kid was scratching his crotch and chewing tobacco at 8 years old.

From the get go, Barry excelled as an athlete. Even in T-ball he crushed it. By the time he was in 11, he was in the 14-16 y/o league and cleaning up. He started on his high-school team when he was 13. And he was still cleaning up. He went right from high-school to the AAA’s and again he cleaned up. His whole life revolved around baseball and he was number 1 the whole time. He got drafted into the first round and from 22 until today he has been an all-star player. People were telling him he was going to be an HOF'er from the age of 5, and he was pretty much on track.

From the first to the last inning, he is a great guy. But no one ever went out with drinks with him afterwards. He was just strange. He didn’t understand, nor could relate to “normal” baseballers.

[back to my commentary]
So, when you try understand that guy, you have to realize that he has had no childhood. He grew up in one of the nuttiest bubbles ever. He never had to worry about food, money, grades, or women. Most of his friends were adults. All he knows is baseball. Even Michael Jackson had to work for it in the beginning. This guy lacks so many social skills and coping skills. He has had “fans” his whole life and never understood why. For him, that is just the way it is. For him, MLB is the real world and the fans are just some weird prop. He doesn’t get it.

It’s a strange thought. That we can never imagine what is going on in his head because 99% of the things that concern us, has never crossed his mind.

Anyways, I thought it was interesting. It explains a lot. They dude is plum crazy. I don’t think he blinked twice about steroids because he lived by baseballs rules, and baseball didn’t care.

Russell
12-12-2007, 07:16 AM
Very enlightening. You can take your last sentence and insert any sport in place of "baseball" and it would still be true...sad, but true.

darylb
12-12-2007, 07:46 AM
I was around him for a couple of months back in the late 80's and would say that your contact's description is pretty insightful and accurate. He wasn't as grumpy as we have seen him over the last several years but he certainly lacked social skills. It actually make some sense and I have known a lot of guys like that. They could function perfectly on the field and in the locker room but were like a fish out of water away from baseball.

Acotts
12-12-2007, 08:25 AM
I was around him for a couple of months back in the late 80's and would say that your contact's description is pretty insightful and accurate. He wasn't as grumpy as we have seen him over the last several years but he certainly lacked social skills. It actually make some sense and I have known a lot of guys like that. They could function perfectly on the field and in the locker room but were like a fish out of water away from baseball.

Cool. Thanks for the back up. I thought it was pretty interesting myself. It kind of makes you feel bad for the guy doesn't it. (at least for me it does.) It kind of reminds me of the of Stranger in a Strange land. Bonds=no grok.

barry1021
12-12-2007, 09:32 AM
-And he was still cleaning up. He went right from high-school to the AAA’s and again he cleaned up-

This comment is just 100% wrong. He was drafted out of high school but did not sign. He went to Arizona State. Not sure I get the insight thing here too. Yeah he lived a different life, so do many gifted young athletes that have a warped view of the world (see Vick, Michael). But hey, he lied to a grand jury. That is what got him into this mess. If he told the truth, he would just be Jason Giambi.

b21

darylb
12-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Cool. Thanks for the back up. I thought it was pretty interesting myself. It kind of makes you feel bad for the guy doesn't it. (at least for me it does.) It kind of reminds me of the of Stranger in a Strange land. Bonds=no grok.

I wouldnt say it makes me feel sorry for him. It's not like he had a bad life, just a different one. He was given a gift and used it to make bizillions. He is basically a jerk with or without steroids from my experience but I dont lose sleep over it.

There is merit to the insight you originally posted because even with just playing though college and a few years of minor league ball, I found challenges in adjusting back to the "real world". I know it sounds silly but it is a lifestyle unlike any other and the dynamics are far different than what most people experience. It would be similar to living the lifestyle of an entertainer or even a military lifestyle. Just like all of us trying to make sense of why athletes use substances. It is difficult to truly understand what goes on in their minds because most of us have never lived that life.

I am not saying any of that is an excuse for using drugs or being anti-social. I guess I'm just sayin.

darylb
12-12-2007, 09:47 AM
-And he was still cleaning up. He went right from high-school to the AAA’s and again he cleaned up-

This comment is just 100% wrong. He was drafted out of high school but did not sign. He went to Arizona State. Not sure I get the insight thing here too. Yeah he lived a different life, so do many gifted young athletes that have a warped view of the world (see Vick, Michael). But hey, he lied to a grand jury. That is what got him into this mess. If he told the truth, he would just be Jason Giambi.

b21

I dont think a warped view of the world is limited to talented athletes. I was a pretty mediocre athlete and I am plenty warped. ;)

link
12-12-2007, 09:47 AM
My father in law has been a sports agent - sports lawyer for 30 something years. His firm specializes in baseball and hockey. I have met a lot of players over dinner and other events and I can honestly say that most -IMO- are not very well "socialized".

When you combine owners and players in a social situation it sometimes plays like an episode of the Sopranos ...go figure.

I have learned to admire the players for their athleticism ...and leave the rest as background noise.

There are certainly exceptions to the rule.

Acotts
12-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks for clearing that up. I personally kow little about baseball. I jut thought it was an interesting tidbit.

I guess I was trying to show how extreme/sheltered his life as a gifted athlete was.

From Wiki:
Bonds attended Arizona State University, where he had a stellar baseball career, hitting .347 with 45 home runs and 175 RBI.[5] In 1984 he batted .360 and stole 30 bases. In 1985 he hit 23 home runs with 66 RBIs and a .368 batting average. He was a Sporting News All-American selection that year. He tied the NCAA record with seven consecutive hits in the College World Series as sophomore and was named to All-Time College World Series Team in 1986.[5] He graduated from Arizona State in 1986 with a degree in criminology.

...even more interesting. Criminology huh. Thanks for the lead.

Acotts
12-12-2007, 10:00 AM
My father in law has been a sports agent - sports lawyer for 30 something years. His firm specializes in baseball and hockey. I have met a lot of players over dinner and other events and I can honestly say that most -IMO- are not very well "socialized".

When you combine owners and players in a social situation it sometimes plays like an episode of the Sopranos ...go figure.

I have learned to admire the players for their athleticism ...and leave the rest as background noise.

There are certainly exceptions to the rule.

I heard that in an interview with Lance Armstrong at restaurant in Austin, TX some female reporter, I dont know who, got a talkin' to. During the introductory phases of the converstaion, Lance looked uneasy and then blurted out:
"do you know how many calories are in that tortilla chip, at least 50!" As a woman on TV, always on guard in regards to her figure, she was taken a back and kinda thought he was a jerk. Lance-buddy just couldn't contain himself. Social-norms be damned.

I will mention that this is pure heresay. Second, I heard that this was during a rest period between training and the TDF so he was probably pretty edgy without his beer and an extra 1000 calories the rest of us enjoy.

BigDaddySmooth
12-12-2007, 10:36 AM
[back to my commentary]
So, when you try understand that guy, you have to realize that he has had no childhood. He grew up in one of the nuttiest bubbles ever. He never had to worry about food, money, grades, or women. Most of his friends were adults. All he knows is baseball. Even Michael Jackson had to work for it in the beginning. This guy lacks so many social skills and coping skills. He has had “fans” his whole life and never understood why. For him, that is just the way it is. For him, MLB is the real world and the fans are just some weird prop. He doesn’t get it.

So Barry is 'just a little off' compared to the rest of the pampered over-paid athletes out there...okay. However, something went wrong in his brain when he decided being "great" wasn't good enough. Maybe he thought Roy Hobbs' comment in "The Natural"...'to be the greatest there ever was' inspired him to go for the clear. Whatever. He'll be politicing like Pete Rose many years after he is denied entry into the HOF. Good thinkin there Barry! :rolleyes:

"I care about me" :no:
-Barry Bonds

Acotts
12-12-2007, 10:57 AM
I am not vindicating the guy. He is not in trouble for steroids. He is in trouble for lying. I get that. He shold be punished for that.

I am just trying to point out that our perspective on performance enhancing drugs comes from a different place than his. He is not like your average pampered athlete. He is on an entirely new level. Like Floyd Mayweather, he has been bred to play a sport. That kind of upbrining is pretty different than your typical proffesional athlete. (who already a pretty nutty group.)

So I am trying to shed some light as to why he thought that "good wasn't good enough" and why he only "cares about me."

Many of us are projecting our personal values and expireinces on someone who shares neither values or expireinces with us, the common man.

That said; A lie is a lie. Plain and simple. He should be punished for it. That is what he is in trouble for. It is hard to justify that one, even for him.

-A

MarleyMon
12-12-2007, 11:17 AM
So, my girlfreind’s father-in-law...
Your girlfriend has a father-in-law? What does his son think about your relationship? :rolleyes:

Bonds saw that the long ball was the ticket to mega $$$, and he knew how to get more power in his swing.
"no common values"? Bonds wants the rules enforced when they work in his favor - like not throwing at his big head.
He's not different, just consumed by hubris. This is not a new story.