PDA

View Full Version : For Steel Lovers: Which all ALU bike would u get?

amator
12-12-2007, 02:28 AM
esp if Its wet and mucky outside and you want your steel babies to be protected.
they can be off the shelf or bespoke.

Its been carbon carbon carbon these days getting the limelight so much so that alu bikes are thrown into the shadows.....which modern alu bike feels the most compliant in this respect and has the forgiving nature of good steel.

yim
12-12-2007, 02:36 AM
Bianchi fg

3chordwonder
12-12-2007, 02:53 AM
I was going to type Bianchi FG Lite too but since I've been beaten to it, Cannondale CAAD9. Much bang for the buck imho.

Think I saw a cool alu bike on the Hampsten website too (?)

Edit - sorry just saw the 'COMPLIANT' bit.

Personally I think either would be plenty compliant with a sensible wheel and tyre choice, but I guess there will be 2 million people weighing in to tell you the FG and CAAD9 are too stiff compared to a soft steel frame.

DarrenCT
12-12-2007, 05:32 AM
http://www.strongframes.com/

look no further...

ashwa64
12-12-2007, 05:47 AM
i love steel bikes and would get a love #3, although i have not ridden one (i do, however, have a fina -- my only non-steel bike).

cs124
12-12-2007, 05:58 AM
.....which modern alu bike feels the most compliant in this respect and has the forgiving nature of good steel.

I'd not ask an alu bike to mimic steel, but rather enjoy the "directness" that the material can provide. A well designed alu race bike (like those mentioned already) may not be an heirloom but will sure as hell be fun to ride.

For a rain bike, I think one of the cheaper, straight gauge Ti frames would be a good choice.

Fixed
12-12-2007, 05:58 AM
cdale but i like my steel bike better
cheers imho

Climb01742
12-12-2007, 06:07 AM
a love #3 isn't harsh at all, has at least a steel-esque ride, but isn't terribly affordable. alu is interesting because there are some real bargains out there in alu and alu lends itself to performance-per-buck. check out an orbea arin, it's under $2k. as are strong alu and c'dales. the compliance is the trick at a good price.

Fat Robert
12-12-2007, 06:42 AM
I'd have paul sadoff build a 7005 AL copy of my pacenti

only 1100.00 and I'd be happy

Bittersweet
12-12-2007, 06:52 AM
Merckx team sc
quite a few floating around for fairly cheap
I have one and like it a lot

amator
12-12-2007, 07:11 AM
a love #3 isn't harsh at all, has at least a steel-esque ride, but isn't terribly affordable. alu is interesting because there are some real bargains out there in alu and alu lends itself to performance-per-buck. check out an orbea arin, it's under $2k. as are strong alu and c'dales. the compliance is the trick at a good price.

Talking about the affordable bit, I see the 8.30am has been deleted from the range. Was it so inferior to the Love 3 that it didnt sell so well or was it so close to the Love 3 that one alu bike within the range would suffice....
not many people have gotten the 8.30 I see.

majorpat
12-12-2007, 07:13 AM
Cannondale, hands down. CAAD8 is a great ride, quite an evolution from my 1987 frame (with the cool airbrushing paint job, still in the garage in case the Cannondale Museum needs one). But you better hurry, read a post on here that Pacific wants o buy them, in which case you'll be able to get the new ones at your local convenience store.
Pat

amator
12-12-2007, 07:17 AM
I'd not ask an alu bike to mimic steel, but rather enjoy the "directness" that the material can provide. A well designed alu race bike (like those mentioned already) may not be an heirloom but will sure as hell be fun to ride.

For a rain bike, I think one of the cheaper, straight gauge Ti frames would be a good choice.

Much talk about alu fatigue life and losing its spring.
hmmmm....Has anyone ever felt that their frame has lost its zest after 5 years of regular riding

amator
12-12-2007, 07:20 AM
i love steel bikes and would get a love #3, although i have not ridden one (i do, however, have a fina -- my only non-steel bike).

Is the Fina a scandium?

sspielman
12-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Much talk about alu fatigue life and losing its spring.
hmmmm....Has anyone ever felt that their frame has lost its zest after 5 years of regular riding

I've never seen any evidence of an aluminum frame losing its zest after some years of use. Instead of losing its stiffness, aluminum's mode of failure is to fail catastrophically...that is to crack.

ashwa64
12-12-2007, 07:29 AM
Is the Fina a scandium?

no, it's dedacciai sc 61.10 aluminum.

darylb
12-12-2007, 07:36 AM
Bill Bove has been riding a Storck that he speaks very well of. I love the stealth look too so I would throw that in the mix.

swoop
12-12-2007, 08:11 AM
mercxks premium.

i'm answering the question as asked.. alum for steel lovers.

Chris
12-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Cannondale for the racer crew who will be replacing periodically. I say that not because they aren't great bikes; they are, but because they are so damn common, that most bike snobs like us don't want to see 30 of the same bikes go by on a spin around the lake.

Now if you are going to go exotic, I think a lot of the ones that have been mentioned are great. I love the idea of a Peg, but I can't handle the headtube extension.

I honestly think that just as aluminum was becoming a viable tubing for cycling, it got eclipsed by carbon.

How about Duratec? Anyone have one of those. I'm thinking about picking up a couple.

toaster
12-12-2007, 08:26 AM
I'll second the Cannondale CAAD 8. Get one now if you need a good basic machine.

amator
12-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Merckx team sc
quite a few floating around for fairly cheap
I have one and like it a lot

they look heavy duty powerhauses

Big Dan
12-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Cannondale, whatever number they are using now....

:)

amator
12-12-2007, 08:35 AM
no, it's dedacciai sc 61.10 aluminum.
.. thought the SC designation was scandium.

so in terms of improving smoothness....its 8.30 (altec 2) fina (sc61.10) and Love (xl8r) or is the scandium material more for power delivery and lightness

ashwa64
12-12-2007, 09:11 AM
.. thought the SC designation was scandium.

i don't think so, but i am not certain. regardless, it's a really nice ride for an aluminum frame.

PacNW2Ford
12-12-2007, 09:59 AM
I would love to find a nice Klein Team Super

TAW
12-12-2007, 10:41 AM
DeRosa Merak.

jeffg
12-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Cannondale for the racer crew who will be replacing periodically. I say that not because they aren't great bikes; they are, but because they are so damn common, that most bike snobs like us don't want to see 30 of the same bikes go by on a spin around the lake.

Now if you are going to go exotic, I think a lot of the ones that have been mentioned are great. I love the idea of a Peg, but I can't handle the headtube extension.

I honestly think that just as aluminum was becoming a viable tubing for cycling, it got eclipsed by carbon.

How about Duratec? Anyone have one of those. I'm thinking about picking up a couple.

On the Love#3, just don't get a big :bike: HT extension ...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=29755&highlight=nerac

that's a stock bike, and here's a custom:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=35693&highlight=marcelo

On price, I agree with Climb that an Orbea would be sweet, but the Arin is not likely to last all that long given how thin the tubes are. On price point a Hampsten/Co-Motion would be my choice ...

vaxn8r
12-12-2007, 10:52 AM
I would give a serious look at the Co Motion Ristretto. It's all business. Rides great, looks aggressive. It's a race bike.

alancw3
12-12-2007, 11:14 AM
definitely c'dale. you can't go wrong with a caad9 but i would suggest you try a six13 team with the carbon down and top tubes. i love steel but when i bought a six13 team i sold all of my steel bikes including a very special bob jackson. i have never looked back. imho opinion , if you are not concerned about bling, then a c'dale is an absolute best buy. great technology and customer support albeit through their dealer network and not directly with the customer.

Grant McLean
12-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Which 4 hour long boring movie would you like to see this weekend, dear?

:confused:

Ride whatever you want...
or buy a nice steel Serotta, they don't make Alu for a reason...

-g

Chris
12-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Ride whatever you want...
or buy a nice steel Serotta, they don't make Alu for a reason...

-g

Or use braze on front derailleurs... :beer:

Kervin
12-12-2007, 02:42 PM
I've had mostly Columbus tubed bikes from SL/SP to EL OS. Two weeks ago I got a Merckx SC and it is really smooth. It's got a bit of carbon in the chainstay, I'm not sure how much that helps. I think it is the relaxed angles and extra fork rake. Comfort wise, it reminds me of the little lugged round tube days.

Climb01742
12-12-2007, 02:47 PM
It's got a bit of carbon in the chainstay, I'm not sure how much that helps.

it isn't actually carbon. just a bit if cosmetic tape. that nit aside, it is quite a nice ride. enjoy.

cmg
12-12-2007, 04:24 PM
if i had to pick an Alu rain bike it would be a KHS 2000 (team). the one where the down tube has a depression to accept the rear wheel. comes in a red/white paint job. Closest thing i've ridden that felt like a steel bike. the one had was about 3 sizes too big.

Ozz
12-12-2007, 04:26 PM
esp if Its wet and mucky outside and you want your steel babies to be protected.
they can be off the shelf or bespoke.....
I found a used Legend Ti in "just my size"! :banana:

Not aluminum....but still rust-proof.

Blue Jays
12-12-2007, 05:12 PM
amator, place a call to Steve Hampsten @ 206-524-6010 and see about having him work a design for a Co-Motion Cycles aluminum bicycle.
Perhaps you could even obtain it with fenders, which would be the bee's knees for winter training.

justinf
12-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Pegoretti or Strong gets me vote.

markie
12-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Hey, straight guys, which guy would you most like to nail?

If you like steel, ride steel, duh!

amator
12-12-2007, 07:02 PM
amator, place a call to Steve Hampsten @ 206-524-6010 and see about having him work a design for a Co-Motion Cycles aluminum bicycle.
Perhaps you could even obtain it with fenders, which would be the bee's knees for winter training.

The ristretto looks like it means business

amator
12-12-2007, 07:22 PM
anyone know of the Torelli cortona.
At $800 with a carbon fork, looks like a good solid workhorse

http://www.bikyle.com/TorelliFrames.asp

flux
12-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Scandium is not aluminum!

Scandium is Scandium.

shinomaster
12-12-2007, 07:58 PM
get a caad8-9

shinomaster
12-12-2007, 07:59 PM

Scandium is Scandium.

I thought Scandium was crap with corn mixed in?

ashwa64
12-12-2007, 08:32 PM

Scandium is Scandium.

i hate to disagree, but scandium (in this context) refers to aluminum with scandium alloy added. that's seems to be splitting hairs a bit though.

flux
12-12-2007, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=ashwa64]i hate to disagree, but scandium (in this context) refers to aluminum with scandium alloy added. that's seems to be splitting hairs a bit though.[/hen whatsQUOTE]
Then what is aluminum? Scandium without the scandium in it?

Scandium is Scandium. It is its own material.

Fixed
12-12-2007, 09:01 PM
bro I do a peg if i had bread cadd something on the cheap
cheers

rustychisel
12-12-2007, 09:02 PM
This seems to have been covered to some degree, but to the OP, I'd go Scandium. In fact, I do.

Scandium is it's own element, alloyed with aluminium in small amounts. It's good gear. In fact, it may even be stiff yet compliant.

Grant McLean
12-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Scandium is it's own element, alloyed with aluminium in small amounts. It's good gear. In fact, it may even be stiff yet compliant.

This first bit is correct . To make "Scandium tubes", scandium is added to mostly aluminum
in very small amounts to improve the grain structure of the tube, and especially improve the
tubes ability to keep strength after welding. "Scandium tubes" are over 90% aluminum,
with the rest of the bits being made up of copper, silicon (or silicone, i never remember)
and some other junk that's on the periodic table that i slept through in high school,
so don't test me...feel free to correct me.

But "scandium" tubes have the same ride properties as non super aluminum tubes,
but the scandium tubes are often smaller in diameter, or have thinner walls
than comparable aluminum tubes because the scandium tubes can create
a stronger finished frameset, so the tubes are optimized to shave weight.
If the "scandium" tubes are smaller and lighter, they will feel more forgiving,
therefore many people assume this pleasant riding quality comes from the
alloy itself, when it's really a property of the design of the tubes.

Every aluminum alloy has the same stiffness, every steel alloy has the same
stiffness... the ride quality is adjusted by changing the diameter and wall thickness.

-g

amator
12-12-2007, 09:29 PM
bro I do a peg if i had bread cadd something on the cheap
cheers

I wouldnt want to spend too much on an Alu peg.
the Love 3 that everyone raves about retails for as much as a marcelo.
Anyone had experience with the 8.30am?
It is "advertised" as being 90% of the Love 3 whilist being cheaper.

rustychisel
12-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Thank you, indeed I think you've explained it most eloquently.

I hope you agree this: "In fact, it may even be stiff yet compliant." counts as my attempt at poor humour.

amator
12-12-2007, 09:31 PM
This first bit is correct . To make "Scandium tubes", scandium is added to mostly aluminum
in very small amounts to improve the grain structure of the tube, and especially improve the
tubes ability to keep strength after welding. "Scandium tubes" are over 90% aluminum,
with the rest of the bits being made up of copper, silicon (or silicone, i never remember)
and some other junk that's on the periodic table that i slept through in high school,
so don't test me...feel free to correct me.

But "scandium" tubes have the same ride properties as non super aluminum tubes,
but the scandium tubes are often smaller in diameter, or have thinner walls
than comparable aluminum tubes because the scandium tubes can create
a stronger finished frameset, so the tubes are optimized to shave weight.
If the "scandium" tubes are smaller and lighter, they will feel more forgiving,
therefore many people assume this pleasant riding quality comes from the
alloy itself, when it's really a property of the design of the tubes.

Every aluminum alloy has the same stiffness, every steel alloy has the same
stiffness... the ride quality is adjusted by changing the diameter and wall thickness.

-g

great discourse.

So the ovalized tubes that many bikes have help to stiffen the frame?

ashwa64
12-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Then what is aluminum? Scandium without the scandium in it?

Scandium is Scandium. It is its own material.

that squares are quadrangles does not mean quadrangles are necessarily squares.

we are referring to the square, but it's still a quadrangle.

ashwa64
12-12-2007, 09:40 PM
i would be patient and get a used (or nos) fina rather than an 8:30 for a similar price.

Grant McLean
12-12-2007, 09:48 PM
So the ovalized tubes that many bikes have help to stiffen the frame?

Oval tubes are there to optimize the diameter of the tube, but it's a pretty
small difference, and it's debatable that it does anything except look cool.

An oval tube is simply a round tube with two diameters in different directions.
It makes the tube stiffer in the direction where the tube has a larger cross section.
But how much of the length of the tube is oval? If it's 2" at the end of the
tube, then you have only a small amount of larger tube to put to work.
Flex doesn't just apply to the last inch of the tube, the force is spread across
the tube, and therefore ovalizing only the end of the tube doesn't have a great
impact on the stiffness of the whole tube.

Lot's of great riding frames have 100% round tubes. Serotta is a great example
of engineering the diameter of the tube to the stress level of the forces
acting on the tube, not just squishing a round tube into an oval. The Serotta
downtube is significantly larger than what you generally see in an ovalized
cross section, and therefore has greater effect on the tube stiffness.

I often joke that the oval shape is there to help sell the frame :D

-g

amator
12-12-2007, 09:51 PM
i would be patient and get a used (or nos) fina rather than an 8:30 for a similar price.

As I know(now), The Fina is NOT scanadium unlike the Love 3 , but a Dedacciai Sc61.10 alu. The 8.30 which came later is using a columbus 7005 altec 2.
I may be wrong, but the 8.30 may be just another Fina but using another tube manufacturer.

ashwa64
12-12-2007, 09:57 PM
As I know(now), The Fina is NOT scanadium unlike the Love 3 , but a Dedacciai Sc61.10 alu. The 8.30 which came later is using a columbus 7005 altec 2.
I may be wrong, but the 8.30 may be just another Fina but using another tube manufacturer.

actually, for a time they were made at the same time (i.e. 2005 (with a $500 price difference)). i have not ridden an 8:30, but it seems as though they are different frames.

93legendti
12-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Did anyone mention Co-Motion?

edit, oops, I see Blue Jays did.

Marco
12-12-2007, 10:09 PM
...from our friend Steve H. Check it out. All Business!

amator
12-12-2007, 10:11 PM
actually, for a time they were made at the same time (i.e. 2005 (with a $500 price difference)). i have not ridden an 8:30, but it seems as though they are different frames.

You are right there.
i think that the 8.30 was never really explored/tested whilst people raved about the Fina.
Not many people would have bought it with such rave reviews on Fina.
Based on RRP, Now there is a $7-800 (mebbe even $1k if you look hard enough for NOS :) differential between the 8.30 and Love 3 and that can get a very good wheelset which could make much more of a difference I reckon.

Elefantino
12-13-2007, 04:05 AM
None of the above.

I echo the ti lovers: Steel ride, no rust.

Aluminum, or scandium, or schmandium, just beats me up too much. That includes all the CAAD-whatevers.

Climb01742
12-13-2007, 04:38 AM
a used fina would be very nice indeed.

whammo45
12-13-2007, 05:55 AM
I would buy the most compliant bike I could afford seeing that your going to be riding in harsh conditions anyway, besides how long do you plan to stay out in inclement weather, normal people (probably not here :rolleyes: ) just go ot for a short ride or shorten the ride anyway in foul weather,
I dunno just thinking and typing at the same time.
Snow today, ride in basement :p

good luck
Ron C

flux
12-13-2007, 06:12 AM
"compliant" is not a word I would use to describe the 830 or love3. And yes, I have trained and raced on both models extensively. These are performance machines and serve their purpose extremelly well.

vaxn8r
12-13-2007, 11:38 AM
I've ridden AL Co-Mo and CDales and their is really nothing harsh about the ride. I have done centuries on a CAAD 7 without thinking about what bike I'm on.

Having said that, a well made steel bike is going to last for years, even when ridden in slop. I have the view that you should buy what you truly like. If you can wear it out/rust it out then you deserve a new one.

gforce
12-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Third vote for the Merkcx Team SC. I got one about a month ago and am very impressed with the ride quality as well as overall handling.

amator
12-13-2007, 01:35 PM
"compliant" is not a word I would use to describe the 830 or love3. And yes, I have trained and raced on both models extensively. These are performance machines and serve their purpose extremelly well.

hmm.... finally someone who can enlighten, my friend got a 30%off RRP for a 8.30 in a v small size that they couldnt clear (blue). He is wondering whether its miles different from a Fina, for better or worse.

flux
12-13-2007, 01:47 PM
hmm.... finally someone who can enlighten, my friend got a 30%off RRP for a 8.30 in a v small size that they couldnt clear (blue). He is wondering whether its miles different from a Fina, for better or worse.

Never ridden a Fina. Sorry.

amator
12-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Never ridden a Fina. Sorry.
sorry , I meant Love. they are the only two available rt now new.
is it worth the extra (say $8-900).

flux
12-13-2007, 06:00 PM
sorry , I meant Love. they are the only two available rt now new.
is it worth the extra (say $8-900).

If you want to win Pro races. Yes.

If you want to win the local Cat3 race. No.

Not trying to be offensive. Just honest.

Good Luck,
Justin

merckx
12-13-2007, 06:30 PM
A couple of things:

When we discuss how comfortable a frame is, there are too many variables to filter to pin a characteristic on the material it is made from. I can tell you that two individuals who ride the same machine will have different sensations simply because of the road conditions that they ride on. (I'm not going to even get into wheel, rubber, seat etc. selection, and fit) Rider A who is blessed with smooth tarmac will say that a CAAD 7 is the smoothest machine made, while rider B who rides on pave will say that a CAAD 7 is a jackhammer. You simply have to take the plunge and hope for the best. If it doesn't work out, sell it. Folks do this all the time. Even ones who frequent this forum.

capybaras
12-13-2007, 06:33 PM
A couple of things:

When we discuss how comfortable a frame is, there are too many variables to filter to pin a characteristic on the material it is made from. I can tell you that two individuals who ride the same machine will have different sensations simply because of the road conditions that they ride on. (I'm not going to even get into wheel, rubber, seat etc. selection, and fit) Rider A who is blessed with smooth tarmac will say that a CAAD 7 is the smoothest machine made, while rider B who rides on pave will say that a CAAD 7 is a jackhammer. You simply have to take the plunge and hope for the best. If it doesn't work out, sell it. Folks do this all the time. Even ones who frequent this forum.

+1
When is comes to comfort, stiffness is definitely important.

jeffg
12-13-2007, 07:04 PM
If you want to win Pro races. Yes.

If you want to win the local Cat3 race. No.

Not trying to be offensive. Just honest.

Good Luck,
Justin

I can't say anything about racing on a Love#3; however, I give it a big thumbs up for guiding me over the Gavia & Mortirolo during the GF Pantani and a very hilly double century without beating me up (lots of credit goes to the handbuilts, too).

Any bike you can ride for 7.5-14 hours and say, heck my feet and my arse hurt but that's one fine bike gets the nod in my book ...

thwart
12-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Surprisingly no one has mentioned the Colnago Dream or Dream Plus.

Bought a very well used one recently for a winter bike and found it to have a very nice solid ride and to climb beautifully. With a chrome Precisa straight fork (hey, the frame's a little beat up, but it has to have style... :D ) it descends as well as anything I've ridden.

Fixed
12-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Surprisingly no one has mentioned the Colnago Dream or Dream Plus.

Bought a very well used one recently for a winter bike and found it to have a very nice solid ride and to climb beautifully. With a chrome Precisa straight fork (hey, the frame's a little beat up, but it has to have style... :D ) it descends as well as anything I've ridden.
bro i bet it does ride great a good fork is a great thing imho
cheers

BillyBear
12-13-2007, 08:53 PM
none

I Want Sachs?
12-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Hard Tail MTB in Aluminum would be more comfortable, and stable. Although would be more rolling resistance.

swoop
12-13-2007, 09:25 PM
i don't really understand the answers... the dude wants aluminum and likes the feel of steel.

not all steel bikes feel the same to me...nor do aluminum ones. they feel the way they're designed to feel. if it fits... the geo on the merckx premium makes the bike feel like a traditional euro road race bike. and i think that is the feel that many derive from steel.

the answer is in the geo.. and with alum.. sometimes its in the slackening of the angles and sometimes its in other things

if the assumption that 'steel' means a classic road race bike...
and we're sayng which one feels closer to that classic feel...
the merckx or the cdale? its no contest.. the merckx conveys a set of sensations like a classic road bike. it has a classic road bike feel and it happens to be made of aluminum. a cdale feels wonderful.. but it feels like a cdale.

they're all great bikes.... but man... let's try and give the dude an answer that considers the question. right?

i'm not saying only merckx...... but give some insight on why your pimping your recommendation.. coz i'm curious too.

rustychisel
12-14-2007, 12:35 AM
An excellent and considered response to the OP, swoop.

I suggested a Scandium framed cycle, partly in response to the question, partly aslo due to the number of people who suggested a Merckx Sc (I've never ridden one) and partly because of what I know.

My ride is a custom Scandium and I suggest it combines a little of both which the OP might be seeking. It is undoubtedly aluminium in respect of some characteristics, but to my way of thinking combines some real 'steel' feel that many alu bikes with oversized and profiled tubes simply do not. It feels lively and crisp underneath me, it does not flex when the power goes down but you can feel it working underneath you. Where it really does differ is in what seems obvious enough: the front end is very direct and combined with a carbon fork feels nothing like a steel framed bike with a steel fork. How could it? There's something seductive about slim fork blades which flex an inch or so.
The rear end is very plush, but does not feel like steel in any way. On one of my other bikes - steel road/track frame (1964) the stays are so thin there's a real spring in the step of the bike.
But it's nothing like the 'snap' of a top line Sc or aluminium bike.
Them's my reasoning. FWIW, I do not endorse much in the way of a 7005 or 7006 or whatever alu bike for someone as posed the original question.

amator
12-14-2007, 02:15 AM
Thanks All,
To be honest, I really am at too minds whteher to just get a beater (be in steel or alu) or a good alu bike (merckx SC?) that can take the salt spray, mush and rain, functioning as a bad weather commuter bike that I can chain to a fencing in all conditions.
yes, i do like steel and very definetely not all steel is the same. Ive had 531 reynolds bikes that were more cushiony and walloy than my current Deda 16.5 or zero uno frames.
Ive had several brushes with alu (easton tuning , treks etc) which I never fully appreciated in the long run.

Swoop has it nailed: different geometry can give a different ride feel.
Steel can be stiff too but it is seldom harsh that most alu bikes can be.

Yeps, I could just get a Ti, yes, I can change to 25 tires and softer wheelsets .....but I really like to know whether there are any decent alu bikes than harness the good power transfer that alu gives ,yet wont beat u up in the long run.

So an alu that rides like steel is the simplest I can put it across :beer:

An excellent and considered response to the OP, swoop.

I suggested a Scandium framed cycle, partly in response to the question, partly aslo due to the number of people who suggested a Merckx Sc (I've never ridden one) and partly because of what I know.

My ride is a custom Scandium and I suggest it combines a little of both which the OP might be seeking. It is undoubtedly aluminium in respect of some characteristics, but to my way of thinking combines some real 'steel' feel that many alu bikes with oversized and profiled tubes simply do not. It feels lively and crisp underneath me, it does not flex when the power goes down but you can feel it working underneath you. Where it really does differ is in what seems obvious enough: the front end is very direct and combined with a carbon fork feels nothing like a steel framed bike with a steel fork. How could it? There's something seductive about slim fork blades which flex an inch or so.
The rear end is very plush, but does not feel like steel in any way. On one of my other bikes - steel road/track frame (1964) the stays are so thin there's a real spring in the step of the bike.
But it's nothing like the 'snap' of a top line Sc or aluminium bike.
Them's my reasoning. FWIW, I do not endorse much in the way of a 7005 or 7006 or whatever alu bike for someone as posed the original question.

theprep
12-14-2007, 07:54 AM
I don't see the Premium in the 2008 lineup on the Gita website.

Too bad, I only heard great things about this model and was on my shortlist before picking up my Love No. 3.

ashwa64
12-17-2007, 05:13 PM
this frame would seriously interest me (if it were my size and i wanted an aluminum bike): http://cgi.ebay.com/Pegoretti-CCKMP-54-cm-new-Campagnolo-seatpost_W0QQitemZ180196853141QQihZ008QQcategoryZ9 8084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Fixed
12-17-2007, 05:30 PM
alum fork too ?
cheers :beer:

theprep
12-18-2007, 07:01 AM
I would be all over that frame if I didn't already own an aluminum Peg. I believe the CCKMP is Climb's favorite Climbing bike.

amator
12-18-2007, 11:20 AM
doesnt the cckmp (u2 tubing) have a 160ib weight limit?
I woul grab it as its my size but i weigh close to 200lb in the holiday season

swoop
12-18-2007, 11:24 AM
no team sc or premium for 2008. what a shame. its really becoming the end of days for the real euro handmade race bike. its damn near to the truth that dario is the last of the guys connected to the real race bike. everything else looks like a mass production process...

this is like on npr when they talk about a native language dying out.

Climb01742
12-18-2007, 11:47 AM
I would be all over that frame if I didn't already own an aluminum Peg. I believe the CCKMP is Climb's favorite Climbing bike.

oh yes. i love these frames. if it was my size, i'd buy it just to have in reserve, and i already have 3!

amator
12-18-2007, 11:54 AM
oh yes. i love these frames. if it was my size, i'd buy it just to have in reserve, and i already have 3!

u have ahem..3 cckmp's???????????????
are they that fragile or are they that special?

Climb01742
12-18-2007, 12:12 PM
i like 'em. the tubing is thin but i wouldn't call in fragile. hard to always explain why a certain bike just "speaks" to you but these do for me.

MilanoTom
12-18-2007, 01:14 PM

I test rode an 8:30 AM in a small size (maybe the same one - is your friend in Boston???) and it was as harsh as anything I'd ever ridden. Switching to a different saddle made things a little more tolerable, but it was still pretty awful. To be honest, it reminded me of the first time I rode a Cannondale.

To address the original question, if I had to pick an aluminum bike, I'd probably narrow it down between a Love #3 and a curvy-stay Cannondale, then decide based on the ride quality.

Regards,
Tom

Grant McLean
12-18-2007, 02:32 PM
i like 'em. the tubing is thin but i wouldn't call in fragile. hard to always explain why a certain bike just "speaks" to you but these do for me.

I just figured you ran out of new bikes to try, so you started over at the beginning again...and again...and again...

:D

-g