PDA

View Full Version : Ottrott Disaster!

mail2josh
07-30-2004, 10:42 PM
I just returned from a two week bicycle trip to France to witness Lance win his sixth tour. The trip was absolutely incredible and I rode the most beautiful terrain I've ever seen. Climbing 22km such as the Col du Glandon or Mt. Ventoux really makes my local 5-6 mile climbs seem easy.

Here's the disaster:
Before my trip I was debating which bike I should bring to France between my prized Ottrott ST, or my backup bike. Logic told me to bring the back up bike because I was traveling with 8 cyclists and my bike was likely to get banged up. With this in mind why risk beating up the ultimate bicycle ever produced? Emotion told me that I am going to ride the mecca of cycling and that's exactly where the Ottrott should be. I started to ask myself if I'd bring my backup clubs if I ever have the opportunity to golf Pebble Beach. Easy decision, I'm taking the Ottrott.

Three days prior to departure I brought my Ottrott to City Cycle in San Francisco to get a full tune up and a new chain so that I'd be all dialed in for the trip. I picked up the bike and it worked perfectly. This is when the nightmare began.

On the way home my wife asked me to stop at a local store so that she could run an errand. When I pulled into the parking lot I didn't notice the low hanging pipe overhead, nor did I think about the fact that my bike was on the roof rack. All of the sudden I heard a scraping sound that seemed as if I were running over a big piece of metal! I didn't realize what was happening until I saw my prized possession falling over the side of my car. Silence. Silence was all that occured for the next few minutes, as I hoped that I would awake from this nightmare.

The bike was ripped out of the fork mounted roof rack, there was a huge gauge down to the carbon in the top tube, my shifter was bent inwards, and the only part of my Fizik Arione saddle left on the bike was the Ti rails.

At this point I decided that maybe I should take the backup bike to France!

City Cycle re-fitted me on the back up bike to match my positioning on the Ottrott and I bought a new Arione so that I didn't need to get used to a new saddle on my trip. I broke a spoke on my Ksyrium SL's which are the 2004 silver version. They replaced it with a black spoke that they had in stock. They got me in right away and really helped me out when I needed it.

The good news about this story is that when I bought the bike, I also purchased the owners club with crash coverage. I was told that most of the repairs performed occured from roof rack incidents and remember thinking, what kind of idiot wouldn't know he had a bike on the roof? Fortunately, the crash coverage is covering most of the damage.

The entire front end of the bike is being replaced. I actually have to decide if I want to keep the same appearance, or opt for a new look. Either way I plan on keeping the one black spoke on a silver wheel in memory of the original frame.

Hope this never happens to any of you.

Cheers,

Josh

Dekonick
07-30-2004, 10:46 PM
Lets hear it for Ben and Co. for offering the owners club lvl 2 frame crash protection!!!

Ill bet that was the best $250 you have ever spent!

mail2josh
07-30-2004, 11:04 PM
No Doubt! it was money well spent.

Russ
07-30-2004, 11:55 PM
....I actually have to decide if I want to keep the same appearance, or opt for a new look.... Either way I plan on keeping the one black spoke on a silver wheel in memory of the original frame...

Sorry to hear that josh!

Hey, if I were you I would get a totally different look on the bike AND get rid of that black spoke! This is like keeping pictures of an old wife where the marriage went south and you decide to keep pictures of your ex, so you don't make the same mistake with the new wife... Kick the bad Karma! Never look back again! Believe me, the arrival of the repaired bike will be a great reminder of never leaving the thing on top of your car...

Cheers :)

Needs Help
07-30-2004, 11:57 PM
Silence. Silence was all that occured for the next few minutes, as I hoped that I would awake from this nightmare.

Ohhh...man. That must have been the worst feeling. :(

Ozz
07-31-2004, 06:53 AM
sorry for your loss...glad things are working out O.K.

Tip for the future: Bikes on back, everything else up top....

How was the trip??

Kevin
07-31-2004, 06:58 AM
Tough break. Glad to hear that you are a Club Member.

Kevin

mail2josh
08-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Excellent Quotes!

Huffy_7-eleven
10-30-2004, 09:08 PM
This thread is worthless without pics! ;)

j/k, Sorry to hear about your bike.

BumbleBeeDave
10-30-2004, 09:28 PM
When I think of those moments of silence, and if it were me with the Queen Bee up there . . . Oh. My. God. :eek:

Oh. My. God. :eek:

Oh. My. God. :eek:

I am only glad you HAD a “back-up bike” so that your trip of a lifestime was not also ruined.

BBDave

toaster
10-30-2004, 10:32 PM
I like the black spoke memorial.

Someone's bound to ask, "Hey how come your wheel has a black spoke?"

Then you gotta tell your story. Everytime.

Jeff N.
10-30-2004, 10:38 PM
Happened to me once when I had a C'Dale on the roof rack. Destroyed the fork, thrashed the frame. Was driving into my work underground parking lot. Felt like a horses-***. Luckily nobody was around to see. I got rid of the roof rack. Will never use them again, and so I know that it will never HAPPEN again. Live and learn.
Jeff N.

dgauthier
10-31-2004, 01:55 PM
Kick the bad Karma!

Kick the roof rack, too.

Opt for something on the rear of the car, or better yet, stuff yer bike in the back seat, on a blanket to protect the upholstery.