PDA

View Full Version : Led Zep Concert (with cycling content !!!)

Louis
12-10-2007, 10:32 PM
NYT - December 10, 2007
Music Review
Led Zeppelin Finds Its Old Power
By BEN RATLIFF

LONDON, Dec. 10 — Some rock bands accelerate their tempos when they play their old songs decades after the fact. Playing fast is a kind of armor: a refutation of the plain fact of aging, all that unregainable enthusiasm and lost muscle mass, and a hard block against an old band’s lessened cultural importance.

But Led Zeppelin slowed its down a little. At the O2 arena here on Monday night, in its first concert since 1980 — without John Bonham, who died that year, but with Bonham’s son Jason as a natural substitute — the band found much of its old power in tempos that were more graceful than those on the old live recordings. The speed of the songs ran closer to those on the group’s old studio records, or slower yet. “Good Times Bad Times,” “Misty Mountain Hop,” and “Whole Lotta Love” were confident, easy cruises; “Dazed and Confused” was a glorious doom-crawl.

It all goes back to the blues, in which oozing gracefully is a virtue, and from which Led Zeppelin initially got half its ideas. Its singer, Robert Plant, doesn’t want you to forget that fact: he introduced “Trampled Underfoot” by explaining its connection to Robert Johnson’s “Terraplane Blues,” and mentioned Blind Willie Johnson as the inspiration for “Nobody’s Fault But Mine.” (Beyond that, the band spent 10 luxuriant minutes each in two other blues songs from its back catalog — “Since I Been Loving You” and “In My Time of Dying”).

Ahmet Ertegun, the dedicatee of the concert, would have been satisfied, sure as he was of the centrality of southern black music to American culture. Ertegun, who died last year, signed Led Zeppelin to Atlantic Records; the show was a one-off benefit for the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund, which will offer music students scholarships to universities in the United States, England, and Turkey, his homeland.

By the end of Zeppelin’s two-hour-plus show, it was already hard to remember that anyone else had been on the bill. But the band was preceded by Bill Wyman’s Rhythm Kings—a good-timey rhythm-and-blues show with revolving singers including Paolo Nutini and Albert Lee, as well as a few songs each by Paul Rodgers (of Free and Bad Company) and Foreigner — all of whom had recorded for Atlantic under Ertegun.

There was a kind of loud serenity about Led Zeppelin’s set. It was well-rehearsed, for one thing: planning and rehearsals have been underway since May. The band wore mostly black clothes, instead of its old candy-colored wardrobe. Unlike Mick Jagger, Mr. Plant — the youngest of the original members, at 59 — doesn’t walk and gesture like an excited woman anymore. Some of the top of his voice has gone, but except for one attempted and failed high note in “Stairway to Heaven” (“there walks a la-dy we all know{hellip}”), he found other melodic routes to suit him. He was authoritative; he was dignified.

As for Mr. Page, his guitar solos weren’t as frenetic and articulated as they used to be, but that only drove home the point that they were always secondary to the riffs, which on Monday were enormous, nasty, glorious. (He did produce a violin bow for his solo on “Dazed and Confused,” during that song’s great, spooky middle section.)

John Paul Jones’s bass lines got a little lost in the hall’s acoustics — like all such places, the 22,000-seat O2 Arena is rough on low frequencies — but he was thoroughly in the pocket with Mr. Bonham; when he sat down to play keyboards on “Kashmir” and “No Quarter” and a few others, he simultaneously operated bass pedals with his feet, keeping to that same far-behind-the-beat groove.

And what of Jason Bonham, the big question mark of what has been — there’s no way to prove this scientifically, but let’s just round it off — the most anticipated rock reunion in an era full of them? He is an expert in his father’s beats, an encyclopedia of all their variations on all the existing recordings. And apart from a few small places where he added a few strokes, he stuck to the sound and feel of the original. The smacks of the snare drum didn’t have exactly the same timbre, that barbarous, reverberant sound. But as the show got into its second hour and a few of the sound problems were gradually corrected, you found yourself not worrying about it anymore. It was all working.

Led Zeppelin has semi-reunited a few times in the past, with not much success: short, problematic sets at Live Aid in 1985, and at Atlantic Records’ 40th Anniversary concert in 1988. But this was a reunion that the band had invested in, despite the fact that there are no plans yet for a future tour; among its 16 songs was one the band had never played live before: “For Your Life,” from the album “Presence.”

The excitement in the hall felt extreme, and genuine; the crowd roars between encores were ravenous. At the end of it all, as the three original members took a bow, Mr. Bonham knelt before them and genuflected.

93legendti
12-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks. That took me back to '77 at the Pontiac Silverdome; 3 hours; no warm up act and my favorite band...

rwsaunders
12-10-2007, 11:01 PM
I remember hiding their albums and a Stratocaster at my house for a friend of mine who wasn't permitted to have either at home. His folks forced violin lessons on him, but we (tried) played the Strat to Led Zepp, The Who and Hendrix in my basement. To be young....

3chordwonder
12-11-2007, 02:15 AM
Would have loved to have been there. I'm glad to hear they went about it in a dignified way, especially Plant. As a voice ages and changes it takes good taste and ability to work around that. Ian Gillan of Deep Purple also has a tough job trying to still do the high screams that were his trademark.

Speaking of which - did they do Immigrant Song?

The bit of 'Black Dog' on YouTube looks like they really did rehearse and play well, by the way.

William
12-11-2007, 05:06 AM
Any plans for a tour?

I might be willing to part with what I would expect the ticket price to be this time around.

William

barry1021
12-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Saw them in 1970 in Springfield MA, of all places. Man were they bad. The first album was the best, then they kinda lost it for me. YMMV

b21

MassBiker
12-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Here's the full setlist, according to a review at the Hollywood Reporter site:

Good Times, Bad Times
Ramble On
Black Dog
In My Time of Dying
For Your Life (first time ever played live)
Trampled Under Foot
Nobody's Fault but Mine
No Quarter
Since I've Been Loving You
Dazed and Confused
Stairway to Heaven
The Song Remains the Same
Misty Mountain Hop
Kashmir

Encore
Whole Lotta Love
Rock and Roll

:beer:

Fixed
12-11-2007, 08:16 AM
long concert
some say you can never go back some never left
cheers

William
12-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Do you Dread Zeppelin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16LI4TUucW4

Grant McLean
12-11-2007, 11:16 AM
The history of Atlantic Records, and it's founder Ahmet Ertegun
was shown on a PBS special earlier this year.

Awesome stuff:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/database/atlantic.html

-g

handsomerob
12-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Any plans for a tour?

I might be willing to part with what I would expect the ticket price to be this time around.

William

+1... it might be the first time that I wouldn't feel like I paid too much for a ticket.

I would still be a bit leary after seeing The Police in New Orleans a few months ago.... they were REALLY terrible. I mean just plain not good. Sting was pretty good, but with Stewart and Andy it seamed like amateur hour. I left the concert wondering how they got that bad. The timing seemed off and there was no synergy between the band mates.

davids
12-11-2007, 12:21 PM
The history of Atlantic Records, and it's founder Ahmet Ertegun
was shown on a PBS special earlier this year.

Awesome stuff:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/database/atlantic.html

-g
There are worse ways to spend your life, atmo. Here's a collection I'd rank up with the best works of the 20th century:

http://www.bluebeat.com/i/an/2/4/0/8/1/l18042.jpg

p.s. I love Led Zeppelin, as long as I don't listen too closely to the words (http://users.wolfcrews.com/toys/vikings/). The overwrought mythic strain completely ruined them for me as an impressionable youth. I came back to them as a 30 year old, and was able to actually hear their incredible re-visioning of the blues. Whatta rhythm section. Whatta guitarist.

93legendti
12-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Here's the full setlist, according to a review at the Hollywood Reporter site:

Good Times, Bad Times
Ramble On
Black Dog
In My Time of Dying
For Your Life (first time ever played live)
Trampled Under Foot
Nobody's Fault but Mine
No Quarter
Dazed and Confused
Stairway to Heaven
Misty Mountain Hop
Kashmir

Encore
Whole Lotta Love
Rock and Roll

:beer:
Here's my dream set list:
Rock And Roll
Communication Breakdown
The Rover
Celebration Day
Going To California
Battle of Evermore
Dancing Days
Royal Orleans
Custard Pie
Bring It On Home
In My Time of Dying

Encore:

Ten Years Gone
Achilles Last Stand

Kashmir and Stairway are left out...

3chordwonder
12-11-2007, 03:36 PM
+1... it might be the first time that I wouldn't feel like I paid too much for a ticket.

+1 - I'd pay quite a bit for a ticket, after seeing/hearing some of the footage of this gig.

Acotts
12-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Robert plant doesn't hit those high-notes any more. It kinda looses it for me.

roman meal
12-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Stop the presses. This is fcuking magnificent.

High notes? Lower the whole song by a note, and its OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlR1UIJOO7k

14max
12-11-2007, 05:18 PM

Acotts
12-11-2007, 05:18 PM
All I can say is that I heard Plant sing Whole Lotta Love on XM radio last year and after the 10 minute "mix the magic brew" jam he did his rock and roll yell (which became the prototype for the 80's rocking so hard scream).

Anyways, it was pretty funny. It kinda sounded he was tossing his lunch rather than rockin out.

I thought it was pretty funny.

roman meal
12-11-2007, 05:30 PM
I think it is easy for persons to project thier own concerns of aging on to PLant et al., but when it comes down to it, the man shows up in front of thousands, including scores of journalists that are waiting for you to embarass yourself, waiting for your demise, and they friggen nail it. The media seem to agree that they were splendid.

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSL1161695820071211

I think that took b@lls, and it was a benefit to boot.

Acotts
12-11-2007, 06:04 PM
I think it is easy for persons to project thier own concerns of aging on to PLant et al., but when it comes down to it, the man shows up in front of thousands, including scores of journalists that are waiting for you to embarass yourself, waiting for your demise, and they friggen nail it. The media seem to agree that they were splendid.

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSL1161695820071211

I think that took b@lls, and it was a benefit to boot.

yeah, I agree. On a scale of objective observer and snarky *****...I would be a little further to the right on this one.

Cheers! Sorry for being a hater.

Lovies,
-A

roman meal
12-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Agreed, though, that XM stuff mustav been pretty bad. :beer: I wasn't directly referring to you or anyone else in particular, though.

William
12-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Stop the presses. This is fcuking magnificent.

High notes? Lower the whole song by a note, and its OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlR1UIJOO7k

That was Effin cool atmo!. :cool: Thanks for the link my friendly four grain man. :banana:

William

3chordwonder
12-11-2007, 06:40 PM
I've been watching the Youtube clips (some have already been taken down so enjoy while you can) and I think Plant's done a great job in dealing with his voice. He didn't seem to make the mistake of trying to hit too high a note in this gig, anyway.

On the other hand, I guess that I have no problem with rockstars aging gracefully and changing their approach to their performances, so I wasn't expecting to see Plant aged 50+ behaving like he's aged 23. Fine by me.

The combo of his unique voice and the fact that the rhythms and riffing are sounding as good as they ever did is all I need to be happy.

soulspinner
12-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Robert plant doesn't hit those high-notes any more. It kinda looses it for me.

You were never a fan.

Acotts
12-12-2007, 04:50 AM
You were never a fan.

dude, Im only 26. They disbanded 3 years before I was born. I was 2 when they had their first reunion.

By the time I was old enough to "expirement" I was into more mellow stuff.

But I will say, I do own the Led Zep I, II, III, and IV box set and was interested enough to listen to their XM debut.

But no, I was never a fan in the "promiscuous sex with many anonymous partners without protection while at the same time experimenting with mind-expanding drugs in a consequence-free environment" while blasting some Zepplin in the back of the shag-wagon kinda way.

...so I guess I dont get it. :(

soulspinner
12-12-2007, 04:58 AM
Now I get it. didnt you know this was a forum for old guys? :beer:

paczki
12-12-2007, 06:01 AM
dude, Im only 26. They disbanded 3 years before I was born. I was 2 when they had their first reunion.

By the time I was old enough to "expirement" I was into more mellow stuff.

But I will say, I do own the Led Zep I, II, III, and IV box set and was interested enough to listen to their XM debut.

But no, I was never a fan in the "promiscuous sex with many anonymous partners without protection while at the same time experimenting with mind-expanding drugs in a consequence-free environment" while blasting some Zepplin in the back of the shag-wagon kinda way.

I bet you're not even fat. Jeez.

That clip is great. Albert Hall is probably the most hypnotic concert I've ever seen on film. I loaned it to a friend raised on punk rock and bluegrass like me, and he stayed up all night watching it -- just couldn't stop. That band was all about the drummer, and all the rest of them knew it (Jason does a great job on Kashmir). Just look at the beginning of Albert Hall and listening to his warm up roll!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuDWREk7ojk

William
12-12-2007, 06:33 AM
...But no, I was never a fan in the "promiscuous sex with many anonymous partners without protection while at the same time experimenting with mind-expanding drugs in a consequence-free environment" while blasting some Zepplin in the back of the shag-wagon kinda way.

He says that like there's something wrong with that? :confused:

William ;)

Acotts
12-12-2007, 06:44 AM
He says that like there's something wrong with that? :confused:

William ;)

Its a line from Austin Powers.

Vanessa Kensington: Mr. Powers, my job is to acclimatize you to the nineties. You know, a lot's changed since 1967.

Austin Powers: No doubt, love, but as long as people are still having promiscuous sex with many anonymous partners without protection while at the same time experimenting with mind-expanding drugs in a consequence-free environment, I'll be sound as a pound!

William
12-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Its a line from Austin Powers.

Vanessa Kensington: Mr. Powers, my job is to acclimatize you to the nineties. You know, a lot's changed since 1967.

Austin Powers: No doubt, love, but as long as people are still having promiscuous sex with many anonymous partners without protection while at the same time experimenting with mind-expanding drugs in a consequence-free environment, I'll be sound as a pound!

Yeah baby!! :D

William

roman meal
12-12-2007, 10:01 AM

That explains it. Now I get a better understanding of those uncomfortable silences when stevep makes me listen to his doo-wop collection sitting there in his living room.

davids
12-12-2007, 10:24 AM
"Why do you need new bands? Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact."

http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/200px-homerpalooza.png

p.s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qkXQ3ulkI0