PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Bicycle Gift Dilemma

Sandy
12-10-2007, 10:29 PM
I would appreciate your advice in the following matter:

I have a good friend (male) whose wife is eager to purchase a bike for him for Christmas. She excitedly called me to ask me what size bike he rides. She says that she "knows" what bike he wants. The problem is that she does not, as he has not made up his mind. She thinks he wants a Parlee Z1, but he is undecided as whether he wants the Parlee or one of three other choices.

I could simply give her the info she requested and let her purchase the bike that she thinks he wants or should I suggest that she should tell him to go ahead and purchase whatever bike that he wants? Although the gift of a bicycle is very thoughtful, he would miss part of the fun- the actual process of purchsing the bike, in which he could give his personal attention to the details of the purchase.

What do you suggest I do please?

Sandy

Len J
12-10-2007, 10:34 PM
I would appreciate your advice in the following matter:

I have a good friend (male) whose wife is eager to purchase a bike for him for Christmas. She excitedly called me to ask me what size bike he rides. She says that she "knows" what bike he wants. The problem is that she does not, as he has not made up his mind. She thinks he wants a Parlee Z1, but he is undecided as whether he wants the Parlee or one of three other choices.

I could simply give her the info she requested and let her purchase the bike that she thinks he wants or should I suggest that she should tell him to go ahead and purchase whatever bike that he wants? Although the gift of a bicycle is very thoughtful, he would miss part of the fun- the actual process of purchsing the bike, in which he could give his personal attention to the details of the purchase.

What do you suggest I do please?

Sandy

Your insticts are as usual right on. Explain to her that, for most of us men, the hunt is as much fun as the kill.

Come up with a clever way for her to surprise him on Xmas morning and still have him enjoy the selection process.

Len

Louis
12-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Come up with a clever way for her to surprise him on Xmas morning

She could dress in one of BBD's outfits - that would surprise him.

I agree 100% with Len

gasman
12-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Come up with a clever way for her to surprise him on Xmas morning and still have him enjoy the selection process.

Len

I agree-
she should either give a photo of a Parlee or wheel in a brand spanking new department store bike,think Sears, to be returned later.

SadieKate
12-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Explain to her that, for most of us men, the hunt is as much fun as the kill.Hey, what about us wimmenfolk? :) Even as a rank beginner, I was involved in the hunt, just needed a ghillie (or whatever the hunting equivalent is) more than I do now.

Sandy is right on. He's needs to be able to pick it out himself. I know a couple where the wife paid the deposit on a custom frame thinking she knew what bike he wanted. He loves his bike, but he's said point blank to us that he was leaning toward a different builder when she made the decision for him. It's very sad to see the wistful and conflicted look on his face. He loves her intent but . . . .

I gave up a long time ago and started a separate fun stuff-only bank account for my husband. He doesn't need small stuff and the big stuff needs his decision. He's bought a Kelly, Seven and a Spot Brand so far. I think he likes it.

How about wrapping up a seatpost collar that can easily be exchanged for the exact size of whatever frame he chooses? Or bar tape in a favorite color? A pair of tubes? So many ways to just give something small with a promissory note.

thwart
12-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Friend of mine in same predicament borrowed a friend's bike to "put under the tree"... the real thing to be delivered later.

Blue Jays
12-11-2007, 12:27 AM
"...How about wrapping up a seatpost collar that can easily be exchanged for the exact size of whatever frame he chooses..."That would be very cool. She could mail the deposit on certified check to hold his place in line now.

With a gift like that...Merry Christmas, indeed!

djg
12-11-2007, 07:02 AM
I don't get it. I never told Susan anything about a Parlee, although I'd be glad to get one, and why would she wait until Christmas? :confused:

Sandy
12-11-2007, 07:50 AM
I don't get it. I never told Susan anything about a Parlee, although I'd be glad to get one, and why would she wait until Christmas? :confused:

You are confused. I did tell Susan to go ahead and make the purchase for you. But we were talking about a Parrot, not a Parlee. If you don't like the Parrot, you can always train her to talk about the Parlee with you. :)

Hearing strange voices,

Sparrow Sandy

Ginger
12-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Nope, the promisary note is the way to go...but there's no need to ruin her fun in the giving. She wants to have the excitement of the bike under the tree.

Sandy. Explain to her what you've explained.

But don't leave her hanging.

Then help her go to a bike shop to pick up an empty cardboard bike box (and wheel box if the bike isn't the right size to hold a fully built bike....the guy is going to know, you know?) Help her weight the boxes with something so the weight is right for a fully built bike (a *very light* fully built bike :) ). And then she can put in her note saying that she wanted to buy him the bike, but she wanted to give him the gift of picking it out himself

That way, the theater is in place. She gets to have the big box under the tree for the holiday, and he gets dread (OMG, What did she buy...I know I'll hate it..), then surprise to happily pick out the bike.

And maybe it will boot your friend off his indecision because it would be really tacky not to go right out and pick out the bike.

On the other hand...His wife may know him well enough that even if she puts a note under the tree the only way he's going to finally select a bike is if she buys it for him and this is her way of ending the agony.

Avispa
12-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Your insticts are as usual right on. Explain to her that, for most of us men, the hunt is as much fun as the kill.

+2 mow...

Not only it is "dangerous" to allow someone to buy a bike for you, especially someone that does not ride. But this could also be a disaster!

I have a buddy that came to ask what bike would be the best "to keep for the rest of his live..." The bike, he told me, would be a gift to him from his wife, for their 10th wedding anniversary. He was going to give her jewelry, and she said, she was going to let him get "any" bike he wanted....

Being bias to Serotta, and using the small amount of knowledge I have on this matters of cycling; I told him to get a Legend Ti. I advised him on a Ti bike, because we live in SoFlo, where it is humid, etc. A couple of days later, the wife calls me and asks me what bike to get for him... I simply told her, to let him be involved in the purchase because it is an important part of the process.

Well, a few weeks came by and I didn't hear from him. Then one day, he calls me and asks me to come check his "new" bike. He was not very upbeat... almost sounded depressed.

When I got to his house, I see that the wife got him, without asking, a used bike from an acquaintance! It was an aluminum Scott (not the top model), with Shimano Ultegra. He was half upset/half depressed and told me what I thought... He said that she wanted to surprise him. I didn't feel like making things worse and told him that I gave them both my advise. However, I went further to say that I am glad none of them said that I suggested she buys that bike!

One year later, my friends bike is now beginning to rust and he has had to upgrade or change parts a few times, go figure!

Sandy, by no means, make a decision for them, just advise* them if you don't want to end up as the guilty one.

* :D :D Advise them to get a MeiVici or better yet, tell them to buy a used bike from Brunk! :D :D ;)

..A..
PS for those of you that do not know what this :D means, it is a joke!

jimcav
12-11-2007, 08:38 AM
my wife got me a r33 for my b-day when what i really wanted to try was a vanilla. but she is also very used to me not liking gifts, upgrading, exchanging--but this was a bigger level of gift.

she is a little bummed i am selling it--but then it is in the context of selling several bikes and wheels to make our transfer to another job easier. it would be much more difficult if all i was selling was the bike she bought me.

I am helped by the fact my 3 yr old went with me to get the vanilla, and when he heard my wife and me talking about selling bikes asked me not to sell it. so maybe if she involves kids (?) in the process he would love it more or be more attached to it.

jim

Len J
12-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Nope, the promisary note is the way to go...but there's no need to ruin her fun in the giving. She wants to have the excitement of the bike under the tree.

Then help her go to a bike shop to pick up an empty cardboard bike box (and wheel box if the bike isn't the right size to hold a fully built bike....the guy is going to know, you know?) Help her weight the boxes with something so the weight is right for a fully built bike (a *very light* fully built bike :) ). And then she can put in her note saying that she wanted to buy him the bike, but she wanted to give him the gift of picking it out himself

That way, the theater is in place. She gets to have the big box under the tree for the holiday, and he gets dread (OMG, What did she buy...I know I'll hate it..), then surprise to happily pick out the bike.

And maybe it will boot your friend off his indecision because it would be really tacky not to go right out and pick out the bike.

On the other hand...His wife may know him well enough that even if she puts a note under the tree the only way he's going to finally select a bike is if she buys it for him and this is her way of ending the agony.

Perfect.

Len

djg
12-11-2007, 12:12 PM
You are confused. I did tell Susan to go ahead and make the purchase for you. But we were talking about a Parrot, not a Parlee. If you don't like the Parrot, you can always train her to talk about the Parlee with you. :)

Hearing strange voices,

Sparrow Sandy

Well ... ok I guess. Got any good parrot recipes?

djg
12-11-2007, 12:14 PM

I like the box and the entitlement idea. If you know what kind of wheels the friend would like, there's also the option of putting a nice set of wheels in the box with a note saying he gets to pick out the frame that goes with them. That way, there's both the excitement of finding something really cool right then and there, plus the ability to pick out just the right frameset afterwards.

rwsaunders
12-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Have her give him a certificate for a fitting, and note that the bike of his dreams is a condition of the gift.

I Want Sachs?
12-11-2007, 02:50 PM
One year later, my friends bike is now beginning to rust and he has had to upgrade or change parts a few times, go figure!

I did not know Aluminum can rust. Perhaps corrosion/oxidization?

Hope he is able to swap out the frame.

Kevan
12-11-2007, 03:32 PM
tell her to go to his preferred shop and buy a kickstand, one of those cheap ones, with the understanding that it will be exchanged for other items he might need for his new steed. Then wrap the stand with a card that says
"For your new bike!"

The look on his face will be priceless. A kickstand!!!!

Course...if he wants a kickstand for his Parlee then that's a different matter.

72gmc
12-11-2007, 05:47 PM
I had thought that perhaps she could give the parts that a bike traditionally goes "inside of"... the contact points... a saddle, some pedals, a handlebar or a bike computer. Tell him the rest is his call. Could work with the box idea, perhaps.

Avispa
12-11-2007, 05:53 PM
I did not know Aluminum can rust. Perhaps corrosion/oxidization?

Ooopps! That's what I meant... There are these small bulges on the frame under the paint, like blisters. In several areas, near the BB, and on the cable holders... When you touch one, the paint flakes and comes off. Then, it looks chalky and corroded.

Thanks for pointing this out!

..A..