PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Hip-Hop

rwsaunders
12-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Amateur DJ's on the Forum, I need to mix 6-10 Hip-Hop songs for play during halftime at our boy's JV basketball games. I was told that KC and The Sunshine Ban are not hip.

Clean lyrics are always appreciated. :banana:

e-RICHIE
12-10-2007, 06:01 PM
atmo - (http://youtube.com/watch?v=aLC3uT3aCoE)

http://groovyvic.mu.nu/archives/images/sinatra1.jpg

DarrenCT
12-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Clean lyrics are always appreciated. :banana:

good luck finding clean lyrics. u might be in for a suprise :)

DarrenCT
12-10-2007, 06:04 PM
i guess this leaves out

1. the thong song
2. "magic" stick

r&p / rap these days is crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzy

maunahaole
12-10-2007, 06:09 PM
De La Soul does a version of "3 is the magic number" from schoolhouse rock. At this point it is old school hiphop though.

gomez308
12-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Can't go wrong with the Beastie Boys. Except for maybe the clean lyrics part.

andy mac
12-10-2007, 07:22 PM
on itunes you can buy many of the below songs with a clean lyrics version. it's your friend!!

a few suggestions but i'd run them past a kid first as my cool meter is no doubt waaaaay off.

* hey ya - outkast
* yeah by usher featuring lil john and ludac
* milkshake - kelis
* ride with me - kelly
* drop it like it's hot - snoop dog featuring pharrell
* crazy - gnarls barkley
* hot in herre - nelly
* gold digger - kanye west and jamime fox
* basement jaxx- hot n' cold

old skool!

* rappers delight - sugar hill gang
* grandmasterflash - the message
* its tricky - run dmc
* funky cold medina - tone loc
* bust a move - young mc
* rockafella skank by fatboy slim was out around 98 and many like to hear it again
* rockit - herbie hancock
* last night a dj saved my life - indeep

:beer:

14max
12-10-2007, 07:23 PM

Tom
12-10-2007, 07:55 PM
i'm still waiting for the genre to top that one. is it possible that they got their defining classic that early on and never will top it?

BumbleBeeDave
12-10-2007, 07:57 PM
. . . " I Like Big But*s" by Sir Mixalot. A classic and funny as anything, but kinda fails the clean lyrics test . . . :eek:

BBD

e-RICHIE
12-10-2007, 08:04 PM
this one (http://youtube.com/watch?v=sAYj7PtUQX8) is cool atmo.
mebbe dave knows the words....

ergott
12-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Common Sense is pretty clean (should be able to find clean on Itunes) and is positive most of the time. De La gets major ups from me (Stakes is High). Tribe Called Quest (heard of Q-Tip?) is high on my list. They are middle age skool compared to Run DMC and the like, but some of the best stuff out there. Will-I-Am, not bad.

Grant McLean
12-10-2007, 08:29 PM
the classic old white guy responses are going to be stuff like

missy elliott
Jay Z
50 cent
Kanye West

youtube is your friend

-g

jerk
12-10-2007, 08:34 PM
the goats -typical american
dr dre- the day the neighbors took over
eminem-the moment
public enemy-911 is a joke
snoop dog-gin and juice
the game- 50cent
ol dirty bastard-baby I got your money

dude how white am I?

jerk

Fixed
12-10-2007, 08:47 PM
mr jerk for presidente imho
clean rap? oxymoron imho
cheers

dookie
12-10-2007, 08:50 PM
basketball game? trust me...lead with 'the game (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/jurassic5/thegame.html)' by jurassic 5, off of 'quality control'. it'll get folks attention, in a good way.

old school (style) lyrical hip hop, not modern gangsta nonsense. not entirely clean, but fairly tame by today's standards. shout-outs to dr. j, jerry stackhouse, bill lambier, clyde drexler, vince carter...40% tarheels can't be wrong.

'concrete schoolyard' is pretty catchy too...without b-ball as a subject.

andy mac
12-10-2007, 08:51 PM
also:

* low rider by war

and give 'em a good history lesson:

* what i say - ray charles

merckx
12-10-2007, 08:51 PM
blondie

andy mac
12-10-2007, 08:56 PM
fit but you know it - the streets

excellent group!!

Grant McLean
12-10-2007, 08:58 PM
dude how white am I?

jerk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFqGM5fE3rw&feature=related

-g

Fixed
12-10-2007, 09:06 PM
sorry

rwsaunders
12-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Looking good fellows...the boys are liking the old school which surprises me. Dookie, I found the "clean" version of "The Game" which looks to be the fan fave so far.

I'll post the mix this weekend. We're looking for warm-up, timeout and half time tunes. AC/DC snuck in here too, but the nuns nixed "Highway to Hell".

Louis
12-10-2007, 09:45 PM
I can just it see now:

After the game everybody's saying "Gee, RW, those were some hot tunes at half-time. You're waaaay hipper than you look."

Answer: "Actually, I got all the ideas from the Serotta forum."

"Hmm, 'Serotta Forum', never heard of that. I guess it must be the new thing with all the urban yoot. I'll have to check it out."

Won't they be disappointed...

Louis
12-10-2007, 09:48 PM
AC/DC snuck in here too, but the nuns nixed "Highway to Hell".

My all time fav. "Back in Black" ROCKS, but I'd also stay away from "Givin' the dog a bone" if I were you.

paczki
12-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Wu -- "Protect Ya Neck"

Just get the lyrics, you'll know when to cough to cover up the dirty words. And you can just start a long coughing fit when ODB starts rapping.

Grant McLean
12-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Toss the Queen/David Bowie "under pressure" in there too if the going gets tough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtrEN-YKLBM&feature=related

That riff has been sampled so many times...

-g

andy mac
12-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Looking good fellows...the boys are liking the old school which surprises me. Dookie, I found the "clean" version of "The Game" which looks to be the fan fave so far.

I'll post the mix this weekend. We're looking for warm-up, timeout and half time tunes. AC/DC snuck in here too, but the nuns nixed "Highway to Hell".

i have a dj remixed acdc 'shook me all night long' - phat beats yo. if you want i can email it to you. it's 7.7 megs.

rwsaunders
12-10-2007, 11:02 PM
i have a dj remixed acdc 'shook me all night long' - phat beats yo. if you want i can email it to you. it's 7.7 megs.

I'm game.
rwsaunders@mac.com

m_moses
12-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Bob,
My California based 11 and 14 y/o daughters were recently into "Stonger" and "Lean like a Cholo." But that was last month. :)

Neves
12-11-2007, 05:14 AM
how about these

"kiss you back" - digital underground...it's an oldie
welcome to jamrock - damian "jr. gong" marley
so fresh, so clean - outkast
kiss kiss - chris brown (r and b)
make me better - fabulous ( the wife actually likes this one and one of the few i would play for my grandmother)

Too Tall
12-11-2007, 06:17 AM
Trouble Funk (distinctly Washington DC Go Go music always danceable mostly clean).

sspielman
12-11-2007, 06:55 AM
I think the idea of clean rap is the rough equivalent of Pat Boone doing "rock and roll"....

William
12-11-2007, 07:12 AM
Not real dirty, but not quite clean either....but darn fun to listen to again. :banana:

Wild Thang
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=387ZDGSKVSg

Funky Cold Medina
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zligio51yP4

Old Skewl...when I could listen to rap.

William

Neves
12-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Sspielman is oh so right. I grew up with the stuff and still listen to it everyday, but I don't play most of it around my daughter. Even if there's no bad language you have to worry about the content. And at 3 my daughters already singing along to stuff in the car. That's all I need at the daycare.

rwsaunders
12-11-2007, 07:48 AM
My youngest (4 at the time) was singing Green Day's Minority song and I figured out the lyrics after questioning his oder brother. A lot of coughing at select moments in the car.

steelrider
12-11-2007, 09:08 PM
OK, so it's not really hip-hop but "Victory" by Kool and the Gang had a great video back in the day featuring Dominique Wilkins taking the rock to the rack.

Lifelover
12-12-2007, 12:43 PM
If you are trying to please "JV" aged kids, skip all the old school stuff. It aint hip.

Some have been mentioned but I would recommend:

Kiss Kiss - Chris Brown
Glamorous or Fergalicious - Fergie
Smack That - Akon
Lose Control - Ciara/Missy Eliiot
Crank Dat Soulja Boy - Soulja Boy
Gold Digger - Kanye West
Sweetest Girl (Dollar Bill)- Wyclef

Some of these are not 100% clean but you can sample from the clean parts.

The context of Crank Dat Soulja Boy is in poor taste (ATMO) but is a must to be considered current.