PDA

View Full Version : English=best language ever

Acotts
12-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Funny email from my dad in Hong Kong:

To all you English Majors out there, I have additional proof that nothing beats the English language when accurate semantics are required during difficult negotiations.

Last Monday afternoon I was waiting to cross a busy intersection in Hong Kong Central. A well dressed young oriental banker type sidles up to me (waiting for the light too) while screaming into his cell phone in Cantonese, which seems to be the only way to speak it. There was a pause and then in perfect English he said loudly... "Well, F*** you too Laotse.." and with that point scored went right back into Cantonese.

swoop
12-10-2007, 02:50 PM
uh oh.. yer in hk? you don't know a former fit model/magazine editor named rachel do you? i know its a small english speaking community out there....

Acotts
12-10-2007, 02:54 PM
uh oh.. yer in hk? you don't know a former fit model/magazine editor named rachel do you? i know its a small english speaking community out there....

No, but I will be there on December 19-31. I wont be dealing with any round eyes while I'm there anyway. They are too high maintenence.

swoop
you have no idea how right you are. man, i pick em. i have bikini pictures.. i should post them.. evil laugh.

coylifut
funny, I've heard the same type of thing happen in Vietnamese restaurants where there's a lively discussion and then it slips into english for a short period of time to describe an emotion.

Fixed
12-10-2007, 03:03 PM
english =campy
cantonese= shimano
imho

barry1021
12-10-2007, 03:05 PM
Funny email from my dad in Hong Kong:

To all you English Majors out there, I have additional proof that nothing beats the English language when accurate semantics are required during difficult negotiations.

Last Monday afternoon I was waiting to cross a busy intersection in Hong Kong Central. A well dressed young oriental banker type sidles up to me (waiting for the light too) while screaming into his cell phone in Cantonese, which seems to be the only way to speak it. There was a pause and then in perfect English he said loudly... "Well, F*** you too Laotse.." and with that point scored went right back into Cantonese.

"I send thoughts of black roses on your ancestors' graves" stuff that you find in other languages. No sir, not in good ole' American!! We say it like we sees it. That's why we are numero uno. Or at least in the top 5.... :rolleyes:

b21

fiamme red
12-10-2007, 03:19 PM
http://www.clarkson.edu/projects/reushen/reu_china/Dalian2004REUWebsite/DSCF0006.JPG

http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/images/wierd/animals.jpg

DarrenCT
12-10-2007, 03:20 PM
je ne pense pas si

Simon Q
12-10-2007, 04:02 PM
And f*** is the most versatile word in the English langauge - or possibly any langauge so I am not surprised that people revert to English just so that can use it.

Think about how many roles it can fill: verb, noun, pronoun, adjective, adverb etc...it can be used to express sadness, joy, anger...

You could have almost a whole sentence using the one word: F*** the f***ing f***ers.

Acotts
12-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Its like the word "smurf", only a million times better.
:beer:

Grant McLean
12-10-2007, 04:10 PM
O lny srmat poelpe can raed this.
I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdr nig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in what oredr the ltteers in a word are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the first and last ltteer be in the rgh it pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?! Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! If you can raed th is psas it on !!

rwsaunders
12-10-2007, 04:15 PM
For William's listening pleasure.

http://www.nailmaster.ru/f$$k.html

PS: Change the $$'s to the proper letters. :cool:

barry1021
12-10-2007, 04:25 PM
O lny srmat poelpe can raed this.
I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdr nig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in what oredr the ltteers in a word are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the first and last ltteer be in the rgh it pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?! Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! If you can raed th is psas it on !!

By the way, you have a typo. :rolleyes:

b21

Louis
12-10-2007, 04:36 PM
IMO Brazilian Portuguese is the best sounding language I've ever heard.

Fixed
12-10-2007, 07:03 PM
english is the new spanish
cheers imho :beer:

julia
12-10-2007, 07:41 PM
cheers imho :beer:

brilliant!

capybaras
12-10-2007, 07:45 PM