PDA

View Full Version : Powertap Installation Guide?

PoppaWheelie
12-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Does anyone know of a web document out there (aside from the official owner's manual) documenting some of the in's/out's of the Powertap wiring harness installation? A basic setup on an SL model isn't yielding good results. I bought a used one (had poor reception from the hub while on the road...ok on the trainer), bought a new bike kit, changed the batteries...still getting intermittent readings for power and speed when out in the real-world. I figure that I'm either experiencing (1) vibration issues at the sensor (2) sensor position problems (sharkfin type with wires...NOT the new 2.4) or (3) equipment failure at the hub. #1 and #2 are the most likely, I assume...

An expert "how to" guide must be out there...but I'm not having much luck finding it....

Thanks...any suggestions would be appreciated! Next steps I assume are to cushion the sensor and/or change its position.

Cheers all - Happy Monday

Jeffie
12-10-2007, 11:49 AM
I have an older PT and when I initially installed the sensor, I put it 1-2 inches up from the hub...I had dropouts. I went back and moved the sensor about 6 inches from the hub (ie, further up the seat stay) and I've had no issues.

If you have changed your batteries and you have the newest sharkfin sensor, I'd say play with the position and see if that helps. I believe the manual recommends several inches between hub and sensor...BUT if you are currently set up that way move it closer to the hub and see if that helps...

Good luck...

Ginger
12-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Do you ride with another computer on the bike? They can interfere and cause intermittent readings even on the hardwired bikes. (Including HR monitors.)

If you have other "stuff" strip your bike of everything else and see if the issue continues.

Oh...and pick up some closed cell foam tape to put under all components (including the handlebar mount). It helps. Vibration is not your friend.

PoppaWheelie
12-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the input.

Re. questions:
-No other computers or HR stuff on the bike...just the Powertap and the occasional headlamp.
-SL model...carbon hub with the Sharkfin mount.

Maybe a dumb question...but the Sharkfin sensor is supposed to go on the chainstay, right? The older sensors seem to go on the seat-stay.

So you can be TOO close to the hub, eh? That might be my issue...right now I have it set at about 3/4".

Cheers -

bocarider
12-10-2007, 12:21 PM
This is a pic of my bike with a functional powertap. If you look closely at the rear triangle, you will see the sharkfin is on the left seatstay, not the chainstay.

That might be your problem.

(and please no ragging on the Moots saddle bag - we were on a bike trip and I needed to schlepp a bunch of stuff as we were riding)

PoppaWheelie
12-10-2007, 03:41 PM
This is a pic of my bike with a functional powertap. If you look closely at the rear triangle, you will see the sharkfin is on the left seatstay, not the chainstay.

That might be your problem.

(and please no ragging on the Moots saddle bag - we were on a bike trip and I needed to schlepp a bunch of stuff as we were riding)

**Thanks for the photo Boca...going down to the garage to change it up right now. Cheers -

Jeffie
12-10-2007, 04:58 PM
My sensor is ~5inches from the hub on the seat stay...let us know if that works for you...

keno
12-10-2007, 05:05 PM
I had some problems a few weeks back and called the Saris/Powertap technical support line. The person I spoke with was very knowledgeable and solved my problem. May be worth a try.

keno

Ginger
12-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Sharkfin sensor is supposed to be 3-5" from the center of the axle on the seat stay.

PoppaWheelie
12-10-2007, 06:28 PM
thanks all...made the switch...awaiting the test run...