PDA

View Full Version : Salsa Casseroll ?

Steelhead
12-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Anyone ever seen one of these in the flesh?? I've got a shot at one through a QBP connection, but I have never seen one up close. I have seen the new 29"er hardtail by Salsa, but not the Casseroll. I'm wanting it to build up a SS or a 1 X 9 commuter, and it has drops for both applications. The new 2008 color is Spicy Mustard in the frame and fork, and they also make the old style Salsa stem in paint to match. Looks good - better than the 2007 Ginger Beer Color.

Anyone seen one? Impressions? The new El Mariachi looks great in metallic red. :)

Lifelover
12-10-2007, 09:16 AM
My LBS has one hanging the shop and it looks really nice. Certianly not High in custom quality but the paint and overall look is great.

I love the color.

Someone was selling them recently for <$300. If you can get one anywhere near that price I'd be all over it.

old_school
12-10-2007, 09:31 AM
definitely a very purposeful bike with long horizontal stainless dropouts and double eyelets allowing for a rack and fenders / single speed or gears.

Steelhead
12-10-2007, 12:55 PM
My LBS has one hanging the shop and it looks really nice. Certianly not High in custom quality but the paint and overall look is great.

I love the color.

Someone was selling them recently for <$300. If you can get one anywhere near that price I'd be all over it.

Thats a good deal b/c QBP cost for frame and fork is around $325. That is fork included and I think headset as well, so frame only could be less than $300, but that would be a slim margin for a shop. I'm hoping to get mine for cost + 20%. Thats still a nice deal for the LBS cause it is sold up front and they don't have to spend any time with it in inventory, building it up, etc... Gotta support the local guy in my book. :)

Lifelover
12-10-2007, 01:19 PM
One of the Road Bike Review Mainstays just posted a couple of threads about his new Casseroll.

Casseroll Pics (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=1307389)

Ride report (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=114738)

Be careful with the sizing. They are done kinda of funky.

A few more related threads by another poster.

Casseroll Challange (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=114766&highlight=casseroll)

Casseroll is Good Eats (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=105813&highlight=casseroll)

To see the pics you will have to logon (thus be a member). If you really want to see the pics but don't want to join RBR, send me a PM and I'll set up my password so that you can log on under my name for a day.

bigman
12-10-2007, 01:23 PM
I am in the process of building up an O7 - I think the panel paint job on these are nicer than the current 08 paint schemes. Not super high quality paint or perfect welds but very nice especially at this price point - room for large tires, fenders, racks etc. All tteel straight blade fork - not a loaded tourer rig - more of a very versatile or utilitarian all steel road bike rig - not that common these days. Requires long reach brakes.

My planned initial build will be somewhere along these lines:
Cane Creek Headset S2
Nitto Moustache Bars
Fixed set up - open pro to Phil Wood rear not sure bout front
Shimano long reach brakes
Cane Creek Levers
Dura Ace Post
B17 saddle
Stem ?
Tires Pasella TG 28's
Crank ? Maybe a Dura Ace 7700 - but 48 front 17 rear cog

Have the feeling this bike will go throgh a couple of different builds.

Hoping to be able to finish the build in 10 days. Will update you then.

Grant McLean
12-10-2007, 01:38 PM
When i first saw the '08 Cassarolls, i was confused becuse there are two colours
that are so close. I like the gold, the mustard, not so much.

I think the painted matching stem is only available as part of the complete
bike package. I could be wrong, but I looked for the stems on QBP,
and didn't see them for sale individually. Love the matching stem....

-g

PaMtbRider
12-10-2007, 04:25 PM
If you are lucky enough to take a small size Jenson has them for $289.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FR310C00-Salsa+Casseroll+Frame+And+Fork+Set+07.aspx

sjbraun
12-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Follow the link

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/touring/product/casseroll-07-19168

I missed the Jenson's deal. Still debating if I want one at list price, around $500.

I'd like a commuter that fits wider tires than my current ride, (a Waterford 1150 that won't even fit a Conti 28 in back.)

Tire width vs lugs, a Waterford vs Taiwan? But hey, that is one sweet looking dropout.

What's a fella to do?

Steelhead
12-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Be careful with the sizing. They are done kinda of funky.

The way I read it in QBP is that they have a "slightly" sloping top tube, and that the effective TT Vs. actual is about 2cm difference, i.e a 51 Cm = a 53 Cm level Top Tube, so size down a step to get it right.

Nothing too unusual there for a sloper - but I'm a level TT kinda guy and if this one looks more like a compact I think I would shy away and look to Surly or Soma. I wish I could find one in stock somewhere and get a look - pictures just confuse me when there is no reference point.

I do like the looks of that drop out - TASTY ! :)

bigman
12-11-2007, 10:18 AM
The geo on these rigs needs to be looked at carefully - angles change as well - the 59 slope is evident but I would not classify it as compact.

sjbraun
12-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Still enough TT to support my saggy rear end at a stop light.

I'm not much in favor of sloping TTs, but this one looks okay.

Dave Hickey
12-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Here's mine. Lifelover posted a link to my RBR post. I built if up last week....I bought the frame on closeout from Jensen USA. It is well worth the $280 price....The size is 49cm(fit's like a 52)..according to Salsa

Dave

chuckroast
12-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Welcome Dave, like all your bikes, this one is a beauty.

William
12-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Here's mine. Lifelover posted a link to my RBR post. I built if up last week....I bought the frame on closeout from Jensen USA. It is well worth the $280 price....The size is 49cm(fit's like a 52)..according to Salsa

Dave

They don't make any that would fit me...but I will say that's one sharp looking bike. :cool:

William

KeithS
12-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Steelhead wrote..

..I wish I could find one in stock somewhere and get a look - pictures just confuse me when there is no reference point...

My office is a mile or so away from QBP, want me to go look at it for you? I could do some pix with a reference point at least. A friend of mine just bought a Salsa from a rep at QBP - moving from '07 to '08 stock. He really likes it. I like geeking bikes at lunch. Fewer calories.

PM me if you like.

vandeda
12-12-2007, 11:08 PM
For $289 ... I picked one up. I need a replacement "touring" frameset. This frameset should fit the bill, and I already have all the parts I need laying around from the Vanilla I sold. I hope it works out!

ericspin
12-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Have the feeling this bike will go throgh a couple of different builds.

Hoping to be able to finish the build in 10 days. Will update you then.

Hey Bigman,

How is your build going? Curious to see the finished product. Seems hard not to be interested at this price.

Eric

Steelhead
12-19-2007, 01:36 PM
That sure is a sharp bike - but now that I've found a Brdgestone frame (literally - I found it in someone's trash pile !) I'm going to restore that one and build it up as a fixie/SS bike. :)

The frame I found is a circa 1984 Bridgestone and I'm really excited about refurbing it and making it all mine. Now I know how those guys that restore old cars must feel - this is exciting!

bigman
12-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Waiting for the lockring for my rear phil hub to come in and my bar tape to show up - hopefully all will be in by the weekend. Rear will is built but still at shop till lockring shows up.

Went with an Easton EA 70 stem fromn the parts box, Nitto Moustache bars, B17 on top of a Dura Ace silver post, 7700 crank and BB with a 48 tooth salsa ring, shimano long reach calipers, cane creek silver headset, cane creek silver levers with gum grips. Never used these bars before but everyone says they are the sh#@! Skeptical.
Will start off with Pasella tourguards in 28, and still need to get fenders.

Going with Fizik red microtex bar tape, locally only could find the bright red - the B17 is tough to match - was hoping Ahneida had his stuff available but not yet. If I can I will post a pick of the the partial build, computer is acting funky!

Grant McLean
12-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Nitto Moustache bars,.... Never used these bars before but everyone says they are the sh#@! Skeptical.

I used to commute on a XO-1 with moustache bars, i really liked it.

You might end up with a stem higher and shorter than you'd expect.
The forward reach of the bar is pretty long to the brake lever position,
and the bar drops away from the stem toward the outside hand position.
I switched back to a non-aero type brake lever for better cable routing,
and you may want to try the brake levers in a few different positions before
wrapping the bars.

-g

bhungerford
12-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Pezcyclingnews.com has a review this morning! imagine that....
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=5536&status=True

i've been looking into one of these or a surly cross check for a simple steel get around town, commute to work, do whatever bike. :beer:

bigman
12-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Took it for a quick 5 miles today after a road ride - still waiting for my lockring to run it fixed - 48/17. Rode it SS had a White Industries 16T freewheel, a little tough going up hills, seems to me SS is a road bike that is broken. Fixed is so much more fun IMHO. Great smooth steel ride, Ultegra long reach brakes with the Cane Creek levers work very well together and the position of the levers is terrific. Pads are OEM. Need to tweak the position a bit as I felt as though I had a bit to much weight on my hands. Never rode these bars before but first impressions are good, the fenders are Bontrager and do break away , a nice feature. Really wanted Ahneida Rides tape but not available yet.

If this doesn't make me commute more often nothing will.

Fixed
12-26-2007, 05:46 PM

Dave
bro i like it
cheers :beer: