PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel Flexes Under Load - why?

weaponsgrade
12-09-2007, 11:49 AM
If I stand and hammer on the pedals my rear wheel flexes a bit and rubs the brake pads. It only happens when my right foot is coming down. The wheel is a 32 hole, Aerohead OC, DB14 DS and XL14 NDS. Is this flexing a function of the frame or the wheel or both?

Fixed
12-09-2007, 12:19 PM
old wheel ?
cheers

David Kirk
12-09-2007, 12:31 PM
A certain amount of wheel flex is normal. It's hard to say whether you have more than "normal".

Wheel flex is also asymmetrical due to wheel dish and the lack of tension (in relative terms) of the drive side spokes. So it's normal to have more flex on one side.

All that said it sounds like you have an issue with the spokes not having enough tension. If you don't have experience with this a good LBS will be able to help you.

Dave

RPS
12-09-2007, 01:31 PM
A certain amount of wheel flex is normal. It's hard to say whether you have more than "normal".

Wheel flex is also asymmetrical due to wheel dish and the lack of tension (in relative terms) of the drive side spokes. So it's normal to have more flex on one side.

All that said it sounds like you have an issue with the spokes not having enough tension. If you don't have experience with this a good LBS will be able to help you.

DaveThat's going to get some attention -- although I think I know what you mean.

stevep
12-09-2007, 01:56 PM
as noted. normal to some degree...
depends on how big you are, how smooth you are..

Grant McLean
12-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Adjust your rear brake to give the pads a little more space for the rim.

-g

David Kirk
12-09-2007, 02:23 PM
That's going to get some attention -- although I think I know what you mean.

Ooops. I done got that backward. It was forward in my mind but it came out backward from my finders.

dave

Viper
12-09-2007, 02:47 PM
If I stand and hammer on the pedals my rear wheel flexes a bit and rubs the brake pads. It only happens when my right foot is coming down. The wheel is a 32 hole, Aerohead OC, DB14 DS and XL14 NDS. Is this flexing a function of the frame or the wheel or both?

Lose 25 pounds.

jmewkill
12-09-2007, 02:51 PM

Is the QR tight enough?

A training partner put me through all sorts of hoops with an issue like this- checking bearings, spoke tension etc - then I was watching him put the rear wheel on.