PDA

View Full Version : advice needed: Legend Ti Seat stay pivots

ertelg
12-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Hello All-

I am considering purchasing a demo Legend Ti from a local bike shop. I am curious about the pivoting seat stay junction. Good? Bad? From what I understand, it lends a more compliant ride, but is there much sacrifice to performance such as power to the rear wheel? How much do the pivots move and how durable are they? I am 185 pounds for reference and have been riding a Scott CR1 the past 3 years. I don't expect the same acceleration out of the Legend, but I don't want a lot of flex from that pivot junction either. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank You,
Greg

dave thompson
12-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Hello All-

I am considering purchasing a demo Legend Ti from a local bike shop. I am curious about the pivoting seat stay junction. Good? Bad? From what I understand, it lends a more compliant ride, but is there much sacrifice to performance such as power to the rear wheel? How much do the pivots move and how durable are they? I am 185 pounds for reference and have been riding a Scott CR1 the past 3 years. I don't expect the same acceleration out of the Legend, but I don't want a lot of flex from that pivot junction either. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank You,
Greg
I have an Ottrott with the ST (pivoting seat stay) option. The purpose of this is to allow some controlled vertical movement of the rear wheel when encountering an irregularity in the road surface, like a sharp frost heave, so the wheel rather than getting bounced off the ground and loosing traction, will react quickly and replant itself on the road. The real benefit of the ST stay is in handling because of the controlled rear end. The usual comment from new owners is how well the bike stays planted around fast corners.

The ST stays have been an option on Serotta for quite a few year and I've not heard any negatives about them. I weigh 200# and ride on rural farm roads that are largely chip seal.

SPOKE
12-09-2007, 02:21 PM
ertleg,
at your weight the standard chainstay that Serotta uses will offer a very plush, controlled ride. if you are looking for a more "firm" ride then Serotta's OS chainstays are the ticket. you can get the serial number of the frame and send a note to Serotta James and have him check the build sheet to determine which chainstay option was used on that frame. :beer:

Pete Serotta
12-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Have had the st chain stays on my Legend for about 4 years..work well and no problem.

It is a very nice ride - If the bike fits and you like it - go for it :banana:

vaxn8r
12-09-2007, 03:00 PM
I think we've established they are the most comfortable stay in the biz. Do a search on ST stays. Might be enlightening. Might not.