PDA

View Full Version : OT: Weekend Ski report

Bradford
12-09-2007, 08:33 AM
The snow at Breck was fantastic on Saturday. About 18 inches of fresh, soft, Rocky Mountain Snow. About half the mountain was open. Man, what a great day of skiing.

The ski season has begun, time to wax up the boards and head to the mountains. :banana:

csm
12-09-2007, 09:28 AM
yesterday was good at ski roundtop in PA. today.... not so good. raining, foggy. still made a few runs before calling it a day.

scrooge
12-09-2007, 09:36 AM
The snow at Breck was fantastic on Saturday. About 18 inches of fresh, soft, Rocky Mountain Snow. About half the mountain was open. Man, what a great day of skiing.

The ski season has begun, time to wax up the boards and head to the mountains. :banana:

Just talked my wife into the Summit Pass and am heading out tomorrow. Now the question is--Breck (never been there) or Keystone (old faithful)?
And did I mention this makes me giddy as a schoolgirl?

crossjunkee
12-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Just talked my wife into the Summit Pass and am heading out tomorrow. Now the question is--Breck (never been there) or Keystone (old faithful)?
And did I mention this makes me giddy as a schoolgirl?

Breck, no question! Especially on a Monday, crowds should be down.

Karin Kirk
12-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Letsee... I spent three days at Big Sky doing instructor training stuff. The snow was very good to excellent. At times I even felt pretty good. I got to try out my new boots which fit amazingly well right out of the box. I got some alignment tweaks done to them by a pro and now they are absolutely sweet. Too bad ski boots don't maintain that perfect, tight fit for very long.

The bad news was that after too many years in ski boots I am showing early signs of nerve damage in my toes. The solution is boot heaters, which I am not thrilled about, but it's better than the alternative of permanently numb toes. Anyone have experience with boot heaters?

Saturday I took a day off and today I was back at Bridger Bowl working with our new instructors. It went great, they seemed bright-eyed and motivated. That's always a good sign! Plus, after a few days away, it was fun to return to my home base.

My only lament is that so far I haven't had any free-ski time this year. Everything has been either giving training or getting it. So I'm looking forward to getting out for some fun maybe one morning this week. :)

Sounds like CO is doing well with snow - that's awesome! Enjoy it!

dauwhe
12-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Cross-Country both Saturday and today (Prospect Mtn XC Area in S. Vermont). Good snow, good to be out, especially this early!

Then I went to West Hill Shop and tried on some boots. Alpina 2050 looked like a nice light backcountry boot, but like every boot in the genre they crunch the tops of my feet when I flex them. Then (in a completely different genre) tried a Scarpa T2X, but the shell was too big... I may just give up and go to the dark side ;)

Dave

NicaDog
12-09-2007, 07:58 PM
What a great first day out!!!
Snow was wonderful, got to the slopes early and headed back to some of the favorite spots off of Excelerator, then worked our way over to Timberline for some cool down runs at the end of the day. The whole day was great snow, and no lines.

Hardest part was not jumping the lines for the closed off runs and getting some fresh tracks - don't want to loose the pass this early in the season.

Many runs we were the only ones on them. Where were all the people - not that I'm complaining!

I had to fly out Sunday to Portland ME, but reports are that Sunday was even better with more fresh snow and sunny skies.

If this keeps up, it's going to be a great season. The cross training and racing paid off it seems, coming into ski season feeling pretty good.

Enjoy :beer:

chuckred
12-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Blue bird skies, tons of new snow, no crowds, minimal I70 traffic. What a day! Anything like that before Christmas is gravy!

Breck on Friday was OK, but most of Vail was open, only about a third of Breck was open - but probably more now!

DarrenCT
12-09-2007, 10:04 PM
anyone skiing near deer valley, utah in march?

if so, PM me.

-d

mwos
12-09-2007, 10:31 PM
I was at Copper on Sat. too. Unusual for me because I don't ski weekends. Spent the day on Timberline, Jacques and Tempo with little bumps was so much fun. We stayed an extra day because of the awesome conditions on Friday.

This week we are skiing Winter Park (Tues), Copper (Wed), ? Thurs., Vail with friends on Fri. Keystone is doing a demo day on Sat. May make that, too.

Karin, boots heaters are awesome, I've skied with them for years. I also got new boots that are working well. I was talked into not using heaters but the first cold day, 11 degrees at A-Basin, I was miserable. I went straight to my shop and got new heaters installed in my boots.

It sounds like more snow is coming!

gdw
12-09-2007, 11:30 PM
A little snow and you head for the mountains. What a bunch of fair weather riders. ;)

Bittersweet
12-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Cross-Country both Saturday and today (Prospect Mtn XC Area in S. Vermont). Good snow, good to be out, especially this early!

Dave

Notchview in Windsor, MA was surprisingly good on Saturday. Took the kids to the Beast of the East on Sunday. What a change from last year at this time. Great to be on snow.

dauwhe
12-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Notchview in Windsor, MA was surprisingly good on Saturday. Took the kids to the Beast of the East on Sunday. What a change from last year at this time. Great to be on snow.

I'll have to try Notchview, now that I live in Mass. The Beast is quite close; just wasn't quite ready for lift-served this early! How were the conditions?

Dave

Bittersweet
12-10-2007, 08:44 AM
I'll have to try Notchview, now that I live in Mass. The Beast is quite close; just wasn't quite ready for lift-served this early! How were the conditions?

Dave
Not too bad for early season. The usual stuff was open except for Roundabout (I think that is the name) around the back over to the quad. I'm sure with cold weather that will be open soon. It wasn't very busy which was nice and we got a lot of runs in. I love the Beast as it is not corporate - old wooden lodge, pack your lunch, lots of kids, race team, no fur boots and Porsche Cayennes. At 8 and 5 my kids don't need 4k of vertical and $20 bison burgers. They need to grind a lot of runs on ice so they appreciate their annual trip to Alta. Both of them had a ton of fun and were super excited to be back on snow. Sound asleep in the car on the way home.

This was my first time at Notchview and it is a beautiful spot. Owned by the Trustees of Reservations. I went on a last minute whim right after lunch and it was way better than I imagined. It is at 2,000 ft so it is quite a bit colder and snowier than down in the Pioneer Valley. Significantly more snow than in Charlemont for instance. You could backcountry ski if you wanted to get off the groomed trails. Shelters sprinkled around. Nice views.

link
12-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Loveland on Thursday, A-Basin on Friday and cutting my favorite BC terrain on Saturday in anticipation of later season skiing for saftey's sake.

Patrol kept dropping ropes on new terrain - but nothing with a whole lot of angle this early. Never hit a single rock either day. That's impressive for sure.

...we headed west to Fruita Sunday for some riding in Loma - see, there's still some peddlin'.

Today - back to work.