PDA

View Full Version : Winter tire recommendations?

Spectrum Bob
12-08-2007, 08:36 PM
I am looking for a reliable, great performing winter clincher. I have been looking at:
1. Continental 4 Seasons
2. Michelin Pro2 Grip
3. Vittoria Open Pave Evo CG
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Recommendations for best places to order would be welcome as well.
Thank you, :)
Bob

haven
12-08-2007, 08:44 PM
I don't post (anywhere) unless I have something to say:

I just ordered Continental Grand Prix 4-Season 28's to replace some Grand Prix 4000 25's for the winter.
Despite the markings the 4000's measure 27mm and the gp-4 season's measure around 25.

I wasn't thrilled.

merckx
12-08-2007, 08:51 PM
I have used the Vittoria Pave Evo for years in the winter months in New Belgium with excellent results. They are quite durable and stick well to greasy, cold tarmac. The previous version was called All Weathers.

CNY rider
12-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Winter, as in when there is snow/slush/ice on the roads?

Or winter as in it's 40 degrees out and a little wet?

For real winter riding you will need a much stouter solution than those options.

Something like a studded Nokian perhaps.......

Spectrum Bob
12-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Winter as in wet but no ice, I will ride in temperatures down into the mid 20s

93legendti
12-08-2007, 10:18 PM
I've been riding Mich Speediums, 25c, for a mix or dirt, road and
snow. They have an inverted tread. I think they are $20 or less at Nashbar.

I also have Pasela TG 28cs. I road them the last few days with snow and some ice on the ground and was surprised how sure footed they seemed. Nashbar has these for a pretty nice price as well.

I have the Conti Ultra Gatorskin in 28c, but hate the way they ride. It seems heavier riders like them.

mschol17
12-08-2007, 10:40 PM
I rode Conti GP 4 season tires last winter, and they held up pretty well until a sidewall cut did the rear tire in. I found them very sure footed in sketchy weather on crappy DC streets. The new Michelins are supposedly good in the wet, but wear faster. I haven't ridden them, but if they are anything like the PR2, I would say they're high performance. The Michelins will definitely run larger than the Contis, though.

I guess the question is how much do you care about performance vs. having to change a flat in the freezing cold?

Ti-Boy
12-09-2007, 05:38 AM
I run the GP 4 Season (25) for winter riding with no complaints.

Sandy
12-09-2007, 06:20 AM
Bob- Probikekit.com has Continental 4 Season tires for $35.78 and no shipping charges. They also have the Veloflex Pave tires tha you use in the warm weather for $35.71. No shipping costs on the tires. I am probably going to buy some Continental GP 4000 tires from them. I will add some tires for you with my order if you want. Of course you could just have them sent directly to you.

Sandy

don'TreadOnMe
12-09-2007, 08:12 AM
big cheap tires w/not that much psi in 'em.
me? michelin axial pro 25's w/75-80 psi.
Basically as big as will fit w/in the brakes/forks/stays.

merckx
12-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Winter, as in when there is snow/slush/ice on the roads?

Or winter as in it's 40 degrees out and a little wet?

For real winter riding you will need a much stouter solution than those options.

Something like a studded Nokian perhaps.......

I ride all winter in New England. On Friday I got caught in a snow squall that dumped an inch of snow in 30 minutes. I keep my winter wheels on the machine until April. They are shod with Pave Evos and I seldom dump or get a puncture. In the previous 12 years, I've only had three punctures with these tires.

merckx
12-09-2007, 08:32 AM
I should also mention that if the roads are really stuffed with snow, I'm making tracks in the woods with my skis.

Too Tall
12-09-2007, 09:34 AM
I am looking for a reliable, great performing winter clincher. I have been looking at:
1. Continental 4 Seasons
2. Michelin Pro2 Grip
3. Vittoria Open Pave Evo CG
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Recommendations for best places to order would be welcome as well.
Thank you, :)
Bob
BuddahBugSlpatBob - you ride very good tyres now and I don't see any reason to change your MO! Some folks like to switch to a larger tyre for winter however that is not really an option on your bike. I'd say run what you brung!