PDA

View Full Version : I bought my first case of Piraat Ale: A Beer Story, Discuss

Viper
12-07-2007, 08:26 PM
On the admiration of someone's beer from the thread 'What are you drinking ATMO', I ventured to snag a case of Piraat Ale. I saw the photo of the Piraat Ale in that thread and had a Pavlovian/Atmonian response. So I googled Piraat Ale to look at more images of it. I even looked on Youtube. The more photos I saw, the more drool I had, the answer was simple: find this beer as it seemed user-friendly.

I asked my LBD (Local Beer Distributor) to order one case, as they did not carry it. I received the call today and man was the timing perfect, I had a crappy week. So I get to the counter and the Beer Woman tells me, "That'll be $288.00." HUH? Turns out they are 750ml (1 pint 9.4oz). So we decided I'd buy 4 and go from there.

It's snowing outside, just a tad really, so I left two of the Piraat Ales outside where they've sat for about an hour. I reached outside 15 minutes ago, cleaned out a proper Belgian glass, popped the cork and can only rave about this beer. I will say it reminds me a great deal of Anchor Steam, very much like Anchor Steam but with more bite in it's aftertaste, this Piraat Ale is 10.5% of the hot stuff and it reminds you on the way down.

I've had dinner already, but I am craving a hunk of cheese and some crackers as I sip some ale. I despise a beer that tastes like anything else other than beer and don't ever put A1 sauce on my rare Ribeye or Porterhouse just the same. Piraat Ale would be an ideal beer anytime, it would do really well with some snacks, seafood or just a clean glass and a good thirst. I typically switch to wine with my meal, but always start with beer and I'll enjoy my new beer, Piraat Ale. I endorse Piraat Ale.

"Piraat is a wickedly rich and rounded brew that packs a mighty punch. The powerful glow builds up from inside. Deep golden with a subtle haze. Lots of hops and malt. Mild sweetness. Reminiscent of bread dough, spices and tropical fruits. "

"Sadly, this brings me to the final brew- call it the grande finale because it is something special. Piraat, pictured above, is a triple fermented India pale ale. It is very potent- 10.5% alcohol- and has a huge head. Lift this beer to your lips and POW- right in the kisser. This dark gold beer is remarkably pungent and has a unique flavor. It tastes of fruit, hints at port, and then closes bitter. What can on say- Piraat ale is calisthenics for the mouth. (Rating ****1/4)."

http://www.liquorama.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=21594

http://www.alcoholreviews.com/BEERS/belgians-four.shtml

maunahaole
12-07-2007, 08:30 PM
You bastard. I'm still at work and you have to go talking about beer. Good thing I have the car today, so I can stop at the store and get some beer before I get home.

DarrenCT
12-07-2007, 08:37 PM
intriguing!

i need to score some of this!

tell me how it is tomorrow morning :)

Viper
12-07-2007, 08:37 PM
You bastard. I'm still at work and you have to go talking about beer. Good thing I have the car today, so I can stop at the store and get some beer before I get home.

You live in Hawaii.

You're NEVER allowed to complain about anything. :D

maunahaole
12-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Just because the ocean water is mostly clean and between 75-80 degrees most days of the year doesn't mean I am lacking things to complain about...

Viper
12-07-2007, 08:39 PM
intriguing!

i need to score some of this!

tell me how it is tomorrow morning :)

I'm drunk. So it's good. I've had 1.5 bottles. If I had some shrimp, seafood or cheese, I'd put three down. I'll stop at two.

Viper
12-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Just because the ocean water is mostly clean and between 75-80 degrees most days of the year doesn't mean I am lacking things to complain about...

Bro, you can complain on April 15th and that's it.

a
t
m
o

maunahaole
12-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Send some here. I can score some shrimp (http://www.romyskahukuprawns.com/) and seafood pretty easily.

ti_boi
12-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Belgium beer....or champagne....will get you drunk....fast.

Those monks. :beer:

DarrenCT
12-07-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm drunk. So it's good. I've had 1.5 bottles. If I had some shrimp, seafood or cheese, I'd put three down. I'll stop at two.

:beer:

shinomaster
12-07-2007, 08:47 PM
IMHO, it's the best.

DarrenCT
12-07-2007, 08:48 PM
shino-mang

will do :)

-d

mschol17
12-07-2007, 09:09 PM
I prefer DT, but piraat is fantastic. How dare you compare the Belgian greats to Anchor Steam? You must have had a few too many...

Viper
12-07-2007, 09:25 PM
I find Anchor Steam to be a proud beer. Ms. Piraat Ale is srs bsns. I have to send some to Handsomerob, my bro in TN for Holiday Cheers. We're working on a nifty scheme of taking his 1984 Serotta Club Special and turning it into a Sean Kelly/Stephen Roche mobile. I owe him some brews and the awesome thing is that as these are essentially wine bottles, you can ship 'wine' at the UPS Store. THey have these styrofoam holders that can ship only wine, nothing else (which is friggin weird). So yeah, I need to ship this stuff before I drink it all. Piraat Ale requires spell check on the internet...it goes down too easily and packs an overhand right. I need some cheese and crackers before I fall over from Piraat Ale. All I can tell you now is and I'm starting the rumor, Serotta is going to repaint a classic frame and turn it into eye candy, 51% of the internet will freak when they see it.

staggerwing
12-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Now that you are hooked, here are two more:

Westvleteren Abt 12-One of the beer worlds true holy grails

Trappistes Rochefort 10-Easier to find, almost as good

Viper
12-07-2007, 10:46 PM
I don't feel my triceps any longer. FYI.

If I go dark beer, it's Guinness...and it's good for you!

Louis
12-07-2007, 11:46 PM

Two 750 ml bottles at 10.5%. Are you sure you're man enough for that?

Maybe in the future you should stick to Bud Light...

So far Chimay blue label is at the top of my list, with La Fin Du Monde tied with DT for second.

shinomaster
12-08-2007, 02:26 AM
I don't feel my triceps any longer. FYI.

If I go dark beer, it's Guinness...and it's good for you!

Piraat is a light, golden ale. Also try Westmalle trippel.

Viper
12-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Two 750 ml bottles at 10.5%. Are you sure you're man enough for that?

Maybe in the future you should stick to Bud Light...

So far Chimay blue label is at the top of my list, with La Fin Du Monde tied with DT for second.

Hey, French dudes from St. Louis can't make fun of the King of New York. I put down two Piraats in an hour and felt the goodness within each bottle. I am with you when it comes to Chimay Blue, it's the only Chimay I truly enjoy.

Tonight is Paulaner Hefeweizen.