PDA

View Full Version : I got my seat tube in...but

cloudguy
12-07-2007, 04:23 PM
I ended up taking out the aluminum shim that happens to be welded into all litespeed seat tubes (which are wider than 31.6 mm). The process (as described to me) is to weld in the shim and then bore it out to 31.6 mm. Sounds non-standard, since many people I talked to had no idea about the shim. It seems that mine was not bored out enough, though, so now I'll have to send it back to litespeed for a charge of $75 plus shipping. Or I could just use a 32.4 mm USE shim, which is slightly too small for the seat tube, requiring more tightening of the seat tube collar, or is that a bad idea?

CG

Satellite
12-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Cloudguy,

I would just take it to a local machine shop. I will cost a whole lot less than $75 plus shipping and they could have it done while you wait. Shims are always a bad idea in my book.

I don't understand why LiteSpeed isn't standing behind there product better even if you are not the original owner obviously it was poor quality control on there part.

Satellite

e-RICHIE
12-07-2007, 04:40 PM
how did you take out a shim that was factory welded in atmo?

Satellite
12-07-2007, 04:51 PM
I also wondered how the shim came out.

Moots also has re-inforced seat tubes, I know they would take care of the problem.

cloudguy
12-07-2007, 05:03 PM
I also wondered how the shim came out.

Moots also has re-inforced seat tubes, I know they would take care of the problem.

Bending away the shim near the seat tube notch, where the shim is not welded. Next, get your screwdriver and start prying.

My wife kept saying: "Stop, you're gonna ruin it",

:no:

but I was thinking: "maybe this shim isn't supposed to be here".

:crap:

So you really think a machine shop could do this?

e-RICHIE
12-07-2007, 05:07 PM
how much cabbage you into this frame for atmo?

flux
12-07-2007, 05:10 PM
My wife kept saying: "Stop, you're gonna ruin it",

Smart Lady.

Big Dan
12-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Put it on ebay....

:p

cloudguy
12-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Smart Lady.

but the seat tube seems to be fine. I was a gentle as possible.

David Kirk
12-07-2007, 05:14 PM
As I understand it the shim is just a press fit into the seat tube and not in fact welded in.

They use a shim for a few reasons. One is to downsize it to an existing post size and the other is so they don't need to ream out the seat tube after welding. That ain't fun my friends.

My guess is that they had too much burn through or distortion in the seat tube after welding and then the shim didn't fit well into the seat tube...........and then subsequently the post doesn't fit into the shim.

I'd send it back to the builder and se what's up. I would not bring it to a local machine shop as they are not usually experienced with bikes and their common shop rate is $100/hr with a one hour minimum.

It's not right and needs to be fixed properly to work well, be safe and quiet.

Dave

sokyroadie
12-07-2007, 05:20 PM
I think the shim is a press fit - it has a "ridge" at the top (about .0625) that is the same as the OD of the seat tube the rest (about 3") is turned down to fit inside the seat tube and then the ID is bored to 31.6. I just looked at my Litespeed. I think you SCREWED UP by taking it out. I work for a machine shop and we could do it but it would be a lot more than $75.00. It would have been very easy to hone it out to fit your seatpost.

I don't know of any method to weld AL to Ti.

DK beat me to it +1

Jeff

Fixed
12-07-2007, 05:20 PM
litespeed isn't the only one to goof up that
cheers send it back
imho

e-RICHIE
12-07-2007, 05:22 PM
litespeed isn't the only one to goof up that
cheers send it back
imho
gets it atmo.

zank
12-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Did I miss something? How do you weld titanium to aluminum? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Soky beat me too the punch. :crap:

cloudguy
12-07-2007, 05:27 PM
I think the shim is a press fit - it has a "ridge" at the top (about .0625) that is the same as the OD of the seat tube the rest (about 3") is turned down to fit inside the seat tube and then the ID is bored to 31.6. I just looked at my Litespeed. I think you SCREWED UP by taking it out. I work for a machine shop and we could do it but it would be a lot more than $75.00. It would have been very easy to hone it out to fit your seatpost.

I don't know of any method to weld AL to Ti.

DK beat me to it +1

Jeff

Then all is not lost it seems...

Fixed
12-07-2007, 05:40 PM
j. b. weld
cheers

e-RICHIE
12-07-2007, 05:42 PM
j. b. weld
cheers
doode he's a painter atmo cheers.

Satellite
12-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Cloudguy,

Litespeed wants $75 for the work then shipping on top of that $15-$30 one-way that puts the total bill from Litespeed at more like $105-$135. Plus time lost and who knows how long litespeed will take once they get the frame. He just bought the bike I am sure he wants to ride it.

Every Machine Shop I have ever been to has done every thing I asked and I have asked some doosies. Will Litespeed to send you a new shim then find local Machine Shop that will re-press the shim and hone the ID for a perfect fit.

Best Regards,

Satellite

Steve Hampsten
12-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Why not just get a Problem Solvers shim that fits the ID of the seat tube and shim it to the seatpost diameter that you want to use? QBP has them in about a zillion different combinations - I think they're about $3 or so...another alternative is to make a fiberglass or carbon shim and epoxy that in place.

R2D2
12-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Sounds to me like at some point somebody got carried away with a Park stand clamp.
Don't be supprised if Litespeed tells you the seat tube is deformed.

cloudguy
12-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Why not just get a Problem Solvers shim that fits the ID of the seat tube and shim it to the seatpost diameter that you want to use? QBP has them in about a zillion different combinations - I think they're about $3 or so...another alternative is to make a fiberglass or carbon shim and epoxy that in place.

The largest outer diameter shim I've seen (that converts to 31.6 mm) is the USE 32.4 mm, but even that is a hare too small. If I google "Litespeed shim" its amazing how little there is.

Steve Hampsten
12-07-2007, 08:02 PM
You're right - 31.6 is the largest shim O.D. available.

Have you asked Litespeed to send you a shim?

A home machinist with a lathe and some fiberglass or aluminum tubing could solve your problems in 15 minutes.

BuddyB
12-08-2007, 06:21 AM
I worked at a shop that carried Litespeed and every so often we would recieve a frame that the correct seatpost size would NOT fit. Everyone was immediately re-boxed and sent back to have Litespeed correct the problem.

Good Luck

BUddy B

Satellite
12-08-2007, 03:57 PM
BuddyB.,

Do you think Litespeed should be more reasonable with the fix? I think Cloudguy should pay shipping to Litespeed but that is it. Litespeed should fix the bike ASAP and ship it back $75 plus shipping seems unrealistic even for a second owner. Especially if this is a known issue with their products.

Cloudguy,
Did you ask the original owner how he got around this problem (assuming the bike has been built at some time)? It would be interesting to know.

Satellite

Birddog
12-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Did I miss something? How do you weld titanium to aluminum?

Sweat on it for awhile.

Birddog