PDA

View Full Version : Oh, I just remembered something about LeMond

shinomaster
07-30-2004, 12:58 AM
I said before that Greg LeMond came to Portland in 1999 to talk about his racing days at a local shop. And as I said it was a great time and he was exceptionally personable and full of stories, and information. He signed a poster for me, and my pesky brother. He was a genuine man.

Anyway, a person in the audience asked him about doping in the pro peloton. Lemond said that it was obvious who was taking EPO. These riders were just struggling to finish the tour and major races in years past, and now suddenly were riding at the front over night, as if they were different riders. HE seemed startled by this observation. It seemed quite clear that racing had changed during his career.

Anyway, I just remembered this while chatting with my brother who was there with me. :confused:

Bill Bove
07-30-2004, 05:01 AM
So let's see, Armstrong is a top tri athlete as a teen, goes to the Olympics as an amatuer, turns pro and wins the U.S. champs, the World champs, and stages of the Tour. All before he get's cancer that forces him to become the most dedicated/scientific rider in history and wins six straight tours. Yep, it's pretty obvious who's using drugs here.

EPO does not turn plough horses into thoroughbreds but hard work, a selfless team and a stratigical master for a director sportiff do.

Just call me Pollyanna.

RABikes2
07-30-2004, 07:02 AM
I remember racing at Tampa Bay Triathlon (now called St. Anthony's Triathlon) in the 80's (86?,87?,88? duh...I'm old and can't remember) and the talk after the race was about the teen that blew away the field. It was...Lance Armstrong in his early tri days. He was then and still is...totally amazing. I agree with Bill...not drugs, but Lance's hard work, dedication, and determination have made him the greatest rider ever...pure and simple.

Kevin
07-30-2004, 07:11 AM
I think that we should let this LeMond - Armstrong thing come to an end. There have been many threads about this topic. Lets move on. They are both great riders and lets leave it at that.

Does anyone have a good handlebar to talk about?

Kevin

caffeine power
07-30-2004, 07:57 AM
Does anyone have a good handlebar to talk about?

No, but I could show you a gay bar or two... :beer:

Dekonick
07-30-2004, 10:24 AM
LOL - good one!

One more quickie...

I do think that Cancer helped lance in that he lost alot of muscle mass and when he re-created himself, he kept his upper torso alot smaller.

Regarding bars, anyone notice that the Easton EC90's are really cheap now? $90-100 or so! Is that because they break???

Tom
07-30-2004, 10:34 AM
No, they're cheaper cause they have the newer better faster lighter stronger more cool must-have 'Equipes' now.

oracle
07-30-2004, 10:38 AM
it is interesting that in response to a post that makes no mention of armstrong, everyone rushes to his defense. triathalon days? thats really funny.

shinomaster
07-30-2004, 12:14 PM
let me rephrase that. What he said was that it was clear when wide spred EPO use started, because a lot of average riders were all of a sudden winning races that they shouldn't have, and finishing the last week of the tour with a lot of power. I bet Lemond knows just a little something more about this than us.

Armstrong was always a super star. Duuuhhhh.. This post in no way suggests that Lance uses EPO. Doping did and still exists in the Peloton.

Sorry to bring back a post about Doping.. hhmmmm, oh wait no I'm not..

:fight:

Kevin
07-30-2004, 08:16 PM
Caffeine Power,

What gay bars do you frequent? Being a married guy with two kids I don't get out much. But I am glad to hear that you are both out and proud. :beer:

Kevin

shinomaster
07-31-2004, 12:06 AM
It is a comfort to know that the Oracle is always awake, and using his thinking cap. We should all be so lucky.

oracle
07-31-2004, 04:59 PM
shino, my thinking cap is very old, filled with moth holes, and barely works. i need a new one quite soon.

shinomaster
08-01-2004, 01:37 AM
My pea brain requires a very small thinking cap....ok I just need another nap..