PDA

View Full Version : Track dropout replacement

Kervin
12-07-2007, 10:31 AM
I've been thinking about what to do with the frame I just replaced. Has anyone here had track dropouts put in a frame that had standard ones? It's brazed frame and it looks like it will be about $200 to have it done. In todays market, I think the frame I have is worth about $200 so that along with the money I don't spend on the drop outs would put me halfway to a actual track frame. Tell me what you think. Here's a picute of the frame I have:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2392/2090890179_29874a2a5e.jpg?v=0

Fixed
12-07-2007, 10:45 AM
use it like it is ?
cheers use the 200 for wheels

markie
12-07-2007, 10:47 AM
What he said.

It looks like there is enough room with those dropouts to adjust chain tension.

Cool frame BTW.

RudAwkning
12-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Due to its geometry, the frame will never handle like a "proper" track frame. You're also gonna mess up the paint near the dropouts when they sweat the old ones out and braze the new ones in. Is it gonna be a simple around town conversion? Take it to the track? Off season training for road racing?

Another option might be to get an eccentric rear hub from White Industries. That'll solve any chain slack issues and you won't have to worry altering the frame (JUST in case you don't like it as a fixed or want to convert it back to road at some point)

J.Greene
12-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Ive done it to practice my brazing. It makes for a nice road bike fixie but not a proper track bike. Once you figure paint in your better off with the other options mentioned above. I used Pacenti drops for mine and they worked great.

JG

znfdl
12-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Tom Kellog has done it for me.

Fixed
12-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Ive done it to practice my brazing. It makes for a nice road bike fixie but not a proper track bike. Once you figure paint in your better off with the other options mentioned above. I used Pacenti drops for mine and they worked great.

JG
bro you paint you weild.. build too? and you live in fla .. wow I'm impressed really
cheers imho

Kervin
12-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Back in the day, I had a lugged, Italian Bianchi track bike that I would ride on some of my shorter loops (under 25 miles). The distance was a function of how far I wanted to ride with one small waterbottle in my jersey pocket. I sold it off when I let myself get in to poor shape to ride it. Since the Spring, I've gotten in much better shape. Now that I'm close to my old weight, it got me thinking about a "project" bike. I'm going to spend more time looking at the bike than riding so style is important to me. I'm not too worried about the paint on the Coppi. A ENO hub would be the other option since it has very small dropout, but I don't think I'd like it in the long run ( the empty hanger would bother me ).

Oirad
12-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Looks like a cool frame to me. I'd put the money into some decent wheels for it, like Fixed says, rather than chop the baby up. You start lopping off the hangar, then it's a slippery slope ... Maybe tubular rims with the Eno hub (which is a handsome looking thing, imho)? See, I got this thing for bike philology, meaning there is something cool about old road bikes elegantly converted to fixed gear, without forgetting their origins as road bikes. And just in case you want to convert it back into a five/ten/twelve/whatever speed ...

Oirad