PDA

View Full Version : A New Englander in PDX: part one

myette10
12-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Selections from the blog...

"The Mayor of Portland"

Portland, in a word, was great. There were business men with racks and panniers, messengers on simple machines zipping this way and that, hard core cyclists with head to toe gore tex and dyno hubs, and women in high heeled boots trackstanding at intersections waiting for the light to change... that's straight sexy.

In NE rain means you take a day off and wait for a better one, which will probably come in a day or two at the most. There... what are you going to wait for.... June?

Sasha's shop was cool and nicely appointed and the art on display didn't look out of place or forced. This place was "manicured," if I can be so bold as to use that word to describe what amounts to a metal/machine shop.

It was clear to see why Sasha has a 4-5 year waiting list. They make beautiful bikes with sweet custom dropouts, clever and creative design elements, and great color choices. Anywhere else and there might be some interest, but he does this in a city that is gaga about cycling and he serves a popluation that is willing to lay out the cash to get one. Portlanders appreciate beautiful and functional bicycles.

Stay tuned for part 2... "The Muddy Curmudgeon"

shinomaster
12-06-2007, 08:48 PM
You should see the commuter races over the Hawthorne bridge on my way home form work!

gasman
12-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Portland is nice but EUGENE is a much better place to ride. :D

Rain ? What rain ?

shinomaster
12-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Should I race cross with Terry there this Sunday?

zank
12-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Should I race cross with Terry there this Sunday?

Is that really a question?

shinomaster
12-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Is that really a question?

HE wants me to go down and do the "B" field. I'll get throttled. :confused: Won't I?

zank
12-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Remember the advice I gave ya Friday night? You go it in ya. You are better with the longer race anyway. And so what if you do get throttled? It's the last race of the season, right? Leave everything you have left out on the course and have some fun with it. Smile often. Drink beer afterwards.

wasfast
12-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Portland is nice but EUGENE is a much better place to ride. :D

Rain ? What rain ?

Well, it depends. Certainly in town since Portland is so much a busy large city these days. However, on the topic of "wierd folks", Eugene has it in spades. Not that there's anything wrong with that Dave.

Rain? Heck, last weekend it was SNOWING here which is uncommon:

http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/garywatts/rides-miscell_001/snowride-dec07.jpg.html

shinomaster
12-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Remember the advice I gave ya Friday night? You go it in ya. You are better with the longer race anyway. And so what if you do get throttled? It's the last race of the season, right? Leave everything you have left out on the course and have some fun with it. Smile often. Drink beer afterwards.

What was that advice again? Yeah, it would be fun racing with better racers who could sprint without crashing, although that seems to happen at the highest level. Are you done for the year? Are you sure you want to give this all up for med school? :)

chrisroph
12-07-2007, 11:11 AM
shino, you got 6th in the c's which means you can compete inthe b's without problem. you have great form. go do it. you will probably surprise yourself.

then, let me help you with an off season program so you can really fly next season.

we only have about 9 months until serious racing starts again. ;)

zank
12-07-2007, 11:14 AM
What was that advice again? Yeah, it would be fun racing with better racers who could sprint without crashing, although that seems to happen at the highest level. Are you done for the year? Are you sure you want to give this all up for med school? :)

I think it went something like "don't ride like a p***y tomorrow and don't do anything stupid".

Two more races and I am done. Big Verge weekend coming up.

You will kick some bootie.

texbike
12-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Leave everything you have left out on the course and have some fun with it. Smile often. Drink beer afterwards.

Not just for biking, but for life in general!!! ;)

Texbike

shinomaster
12-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the great encouragement! It's true that I don't have enough fun, or drink enough beer.. :D

myette10
12-07-2007, 12:02 PM
What was that advice again?

It boils down to this: stop thinking & start riding. Once you get going, you'll forget why you even considered not doing it. We all need someone to tell us to HTFU every once in a while, right?

shinomaster
12-07-2007, 12:28 PM
HTFU what does this stand for..?

shinomaster
12-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Matt sorry to hijack your thread! What about your race reports? How did your crash affect day two?

myette10
12-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Matt sorry to hijack your thread! What about your race reports? How did your crash affect day two?
Hijack? who cares... HTFU - Harden The F Up, closely related to Man The F Up, but gender neutral.

Part two of the Portland Saga is coming tonight.

gasman
12-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Should I race cross with Terrythere this Sunday?

Yes-
It's a fun course. I raced there last month-but crashed out on the first lap, my fault and I didn't take anyone out. This Sunday I have other commitments (and I am having patellar tendonitis again-so off the bike)but may show up to watch if I have a chance.
The fields are pretty small so it's not a crash fest and you'll be fine racing the B's-or you could clean up in the C's.

manet
12-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Part two of the Portland Saga is coming tonight.

what time, cause i got my own stuff to scrape off the ceiling

shinomaster
12-07-2007, 02:52 PM
what time, cause i got my own stuff to scrape off the ceiling

Good times?