PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done The Copper Triangle Ride?

Bruce K
12-06-2007, 04:31 PM
I am giving serious thought to taking a year off from the Pan-Mass Challenge and devoting my fundraising efforts almost solely towards the Davis Phinney Foundation.

Besides The Sunflower REvolution, I was thinking of going out to Colorado and riding The Copper Triangle event.

Have any forum members done this ride and what were your impressions?

What would you suggest for gearing - I ride a compact double (currently a 52/38 and 12-26)?

Also, where would you reccomend staying with a non-riding spouse?

Thanks,

BK

e-RICHIE
12-06-2007, 04:37 PM
is this a tina turner appreciation thread atmo?

Bruce K
12-06-2007, 04:43 PM
No Richie, far from it.

So if I get a Gimmel on my next spin, do I win a frame? ;)

Happy Chanukah to you and good luck in KC.

BK

roman meal
12-06-2007, 04:50 PM
i've been to Davis and Connies bike camp with my bro in law, and we were all over the course route. great fun, great rides. I'd give serious thought to doing that ride, too. Overall elevation, and acclimation are key words here. I ran a 39 up front, and a 29 cog in the back. Somehow I remember a Campagnolo catalog at the time that described the cassette as incorporating the "blessed 29 cog", or so the bad translation went. Going up Loveland, Independence passes, I began to understand the translation.

I was younger and larger then, now I'm a bit older and larger.

colodale
12-06-2007, 05:13 PM
I've done the organized ride a couple of times, and the individual passes several times in both directions.

The scenery is fantastic on the Copper Triangle (other than the Climax Molybdenum mine). Overall, the grades are steady, but not too bad. There are only a couple of rudely steep parts coming from the Vail side of Vail pass heading to Copper Mountain after you cross under the interstate. Of course they might just seem worse because it's the last pass on the ride.

Rain showers can be common later in the afternoon that time of year. Better to finish earlier rather than later.

chuckred
12-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Haven't done the Copper Triangle specifically, but can tell you the following:

39x26 is usually adequate for reasonably fit riders - keep in mind the altitude if you aren't used to it. A 29 in , or a smaller ring wouldn't hurt if you need a bail out gear. Most climbs in CO aren't really steep, just long. Vail Pass from that direction does have a couple of steep pitches though, and since it's the last climb, you might want the lower gear. It's also the longest of the climbs... (about 3700 feet of climbing out of the almost 6000 total).

For a non-riding spouse, I'd probably say that Vail would be the most fun place to stay. Not far by car to the start/finish The gondola's open in the summer for hiking, lots of restaurants, shopping, etc. Good mountain biking too...

This guidebook Road Biking Colorado guidebook (http://www.amazon.com/Road-Biking-Colorado-Statewide-Guide/dp/1565794338) is excellent and covers each of the passes in the Triangle. If you plan to ride more while you're in CO, it's worth buying.

Bradford
12-06-2007, 06:21 PM
I am giving serious thought to taking a year off from the Pan-Mass Challenge and devoting my fundraising efforts almost solely towards the Davis Phinney Foundation.

Besides The Sunflower REvolution, I was thinking of going out to Colorado and riding The Copper Triangle event.

Have any forum members done this ride and what were your impressions?

What would you suggest for gearing - I ride a compact double (currently a 52/38 and 12-26)?

Also, where would you reccomend staying with a non-riding spouse?

Thanks,

BK
For either the first night in Colorado or the last night before you leave, I would recommend the Smith house in Highlands Ranch, about 40 miles from the airport and on the way to Summit County. :banana:

The Kapsten Suite will be ready for you and the fridge will be stocked with Fat Tire and 1554. :banana: :banana:

Also, you might be able to talk a fat ex-Bostonian into joining you if you promise not to abuse him to much.

As for the Summit county part, we have been renting condos at Keystone. I also have co-worker with a house in Summit county, so I could check into that for you.

1centaur
12-06-2007, 06:26 PM
What would you suggest for gearing - I ride a compact double (currently a 52/38 and 12-26)?BK

How is 52-38 compact? You can do that with a 130 bcd.

Bruce K
12-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks Bradford.

We will definitely have to talk.

1C -

My 52-38 is on an FSA 110 BCD crankset as that was the only way to get the K-Force Light despite notations on their website to the contrary.

So changing to 50/36 or 50/34 is pretty easy.

BK

scrooge
12-06-2007, 08:42 PM
39x26 is usually adequate for reasonably fit riders -

This guidebook Road Biking Colorado guidebook (http://www.amazon.com/Road-Biking-Colorado-Statewide-Guide/dp/1565794338) is excellent and covers each of the passes in the Triangle. If you plan to ride more while you're in CO, it's worth buying.

I'll second Mr. Chuckred on #2, but not number one. Sorry to sound contrary...

I suspect you'd be more comfortable with a little lower gearing...although I'm generally a lousy climber, a rather hefty fellow, and have only lived in the front range for a year.

Of course, gearing is personal, blah blah blah. You could probably do it (and I suppose I could too, if I had too), but why not give yourself the lower gear?

Scrooge--who rides with a 50x34 (and is not ashamed of it.)

PS: If folks are interested in riding together, I could be easily persuaded. But like I said, I'm slow, a lousy climber etc etc...

Bruce K
12-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Scrooge;

I suspect that you and I are closer than you think.

Climbing has never been my strong suit and coming from basically sea level - our high school is supposedly the only school in the US with a stated elevation BELOW sea level - I am sure the altitude will also be an issue.

My attitude for rides like this is the more the merrier.

I will probably see how I feel as the event gets closer but I am guessing I might go back to the 50/34 and make it as easy as possible on myself.

BK

konstantkarma
12-06-2007, 08:49 PM
I have ridden the Triangle twice. Both times with a 36/50 compact front with a 13-26 rear. The ride is very doable for a flatlander like me. I usually allow at least 2 days for acclimation rides near Denver that involve climbing at a lower elevation, such as Lookout Mountain or Golden Gate Canyon.

The ride is well-supported and for a good cause. The weather last August was great!

chuckred
12-06-2007, 08:52 PM
I'll second Mr. Chuckred on #2, but not number one. Sorry to sound contrary...

I suspect you'd be more comfortable with a little lower gearing...although I'm generally a lousy climber, a rather hefty fellow, and have only lived in the front range for a year.

Of course, gearing is personal, blah blah blah. You could probably do it (and I suppose I could too, if I had too), but why not give yourself the lower gear?

Scrooge--who rides with a 50x34 (and is not ashamed of it.)

PS: If folks are interested in riding together, I could be easily persuaded. But like I said, I'm slow, a lousy climber etc etc...

I have a 39 x 26 on the Torelli and 34 x 25 on the Ridley. The lower gear on the Ridley doesn't get used often, but it's nice to have it when it's needed!

Bradford
12-06-2007, 10:05 PM
I wonder if this is the start of the mythical Coloradottrot?

With critical mass, we could rent some condos and make it a party. :beer:

mwos
12-06-2007, 10:09 PM
There's a foot or more of snow on it right now. :)

I've not done the ride but tried the section of the route from Vail, it killed me. However, like Chuckred said the passes are long but not steep.

Rent a condo at Copper, all the activities are there. There is a big celebration at the end of the ride at the Eagle lift.

Summit County runs buses to Frisco if you need transportation. If your wife is into hiking she can get a lift ticket, ride the lift and hike around Copper Mtn. Vail is ok for shopping but Breckenridge is also a good shopping place. At Silverthorne there is an outlet mall which appears to be pretty popular. Copper also has a golf course. Breckenridge and Silverthorne have rec centers. If she bikes she can bike the trails around Frisco, Dillon and Breckenridge. They aren't that hard. Bike rental is also available.

Our normal rule of thumb is that Vail is more expensive than Summit County.

scrooge
12-06-2007, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=mwos]There's a foot or more of snow on it right now. :)

QUOTE]

Sorry for the thread drift...but this makes me giddy as a school girl. I think its time to get my first day of skiing in...maybe Monday :beer: :beer: :beer:

Bruce K
12-07-2007, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far.

Bradford, maybe we could do a Serotta Forumite Team V2.0 for this one.

I will probably bring the Meivici and a few days early sounds right to me.

I definitely want to get to Boulder one day and drop in on Wheatridge Cyclery.

BK

Steve K
12-07-2007, 06:41 AM
http://www.teamevergreen.org/road_ridesfilesandsubpages/CopperTriangle.html

Bradford
12-07-2007, 07:59 AM
I definitely want to get to Boulder one day and drop in on Wheatridge Cyclery.

BK
Don't forget a trip to the New Belgium Brewery with Bud. :beer:

http://www.newbelgium.com/index.php

Bruce K
12-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Oh yeah. That would definitely be a stop on the "tour".

I think this could be one of those trips where the suitcase has more stuff in it going home than it did going out there.

I will have to give some serious thought as to shipping the Meivici vs taking it on the airplane. It sounds like I will have several choices for destinations if I ship.

BK

BillyBear
12-07-2007, 10:19 AM
also concur with staying at Copper and Summit Co. = less $$$ than Eagle Co. (Vail)...

am also compact advocate...combination of altitude and long day makes me appreciate my 34 X 26 bailout gear...kinda like life insurance, nice to have, hope I don't need it...BTW at 220 lbs, really nice to have...

The route is great and the ride is very well run

Pete Serotta
12-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Please count me in............I came close to be able to make it last year and said that this would be the year. My typical gearing is 53*39 with a 11/21 - - - yeah you believe that than I have an empty bottle (had red in it) to sell you..... :D :D

I have a triple on my travel bike - - - - -

Bruce K
12-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Rocky Mountain Forum ride here we come.

Pete, if Nancy doesn't come we should talk about meeting along the way.

Bradford, I'll give you a call soon.

BK

konstantkarma
12-07-2007, 11:02 AM
I have ridden the Triangle twice. Both times with a 36/50 compact front with a 13-26 rear. The ride is very doable for a flatlander like me. I usually allow at least 2 days for acclimation rides near Denver that involve climbing at a lower elevation, such as Lookout Mountain or Golden Gate Canyon.

The ride is well-supported and for a good cause. The weather last August was great!

Oh, and did I mention that I met Floyd Landis on the ride last year? He was mingling with the masses at the last rest stop before Vail Pass. A very nice guy. BTW, that's me on the right.

Bradford
12-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Please count me in

Pete, should I pick up some Chianti or would you prefer Rioja?

Pete Serotta
12-07-2007, 02:54 PM
I am an equal opportunity drinker........ :beer: Both can be excellent.

I am looking forward to it. Thanks PETE

Pete, should I pick up some Chianti or would you prefer Rioja?

Blue Jays
12-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Bruce K, you'll be just fine with the gearing you have suggested. I've participated in the wonderful Bicycle Tour of Colorado (http://www.bicycletourcolorado.com/) and this past year incorporated Rabbit Ears Pass, Tennessee Pass, Berthoud Pass, Loveland Pass, and a few others.
The 53 x 39 combined with 12-25 cassette that I selected was absolutely adequate. The climbs aren't as much steep as they are looonnggg. You'll do great. Enjoy!

:beer:

mwos
12-07-2007, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=mwos]There's a foot or more of snow on it right now. :)

QUOTE]

Sorry for the thread drift...but this makes me giddy as a school girl. I think its time to get my first day of skiing in...maybe Monday :beer: :beer: :beer:

By now there's 2-3 ft and it's still coming down. Copper opened Timberline today, no lift lines today. I guess I'll have to drag myself to ski tomorrow, at least until the lines get bad. It'll be 5 days in a row, 2 with all day powder.

I have a very small condo in Silverthorne and could also get together either in Denver or Summit County.

The weather here is so bad :) that Vail pass (I-70) is closed and they closed the schools here in Summit County.

Btw, Vail opened all the bowls at noon today.

Today was my 13th ski day, time for you to hit the slopes!

Dave
12-08-2007, 09:24 AM
All I can say is I'm old. I rode a 53/39 with a 12-21 around the Kansas City area for over 15 years, until 10 speed came out, when I was 47. I rode an 11-23 for one season, then switched to a 12-25. When I moved to Colorado at age 50, I still had the 53/39 with a 12-25, but suspected it would be inadequate for the the mountains. I built up a 53/39/30 triple bike with the same 12-25, before making the move. The 53/39 only got used a few times. Now I use a 53/39/28 with a 12-25, even though I only weigh 135. I'd rather have extra low gears and not need them than come up short. I also prefer to spin in the 80+ range rather than mash in the 60's. My arthritic knees have almost no cartilage under the kneecaps and mashing isn't advisable.

All I can say is if your normal low gear on moderate terrain at low altitude is a 39/21, a 39/25 would provide two additional low gears. If you're a good masher, perhaps it may work for you. If you use a 39/25 at lower altitudes on hills, I can't imagine it being adequate for 10-mile climbs in the mountains.

As a reference point, I have done the Mt. Evans hillclimb route in 2:35, at age 53, which is better than a lot of folks my age. I improved my time by riding standing a lot more (lowest ratio a 39/23). When I sit and spin however, I usually drop 2-3 cogs, so a 39/25 isn't adequate for all the sections where I want to sit and spin.

quattro
12-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Bruce, knowing my feelings about another PMC, make sure to check if Yankee fans are allowed on this ride, I'm listening in....

quattro

RABikes2
12-08-2007, 10:32 PM
What are the dates Bruce?
RA

Bruce K
12-09-2007, 06:00 AM
Date is August 2, 2008.

Quattro, I'm sure we can tolerate Yankee fans. We'll be feeling sorry for you guys (not) as you will be about 10 games or so back at that point, especially if the Sox trade for Santana.

RA, not sure whether we will allow Steeler fans, we'll have to mull that one over.... ;)

BK

Bradford
12-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Bruce, knowing my feelings about another PMC, make sure to check if Yankee fans are allowed on this ride, I'm listening in....

quattro
Colorado welcomes all people, even Yankees fans. My best friend is a die hard Yankees fans and comes out every year and no incedents yet.

Just to warn you, though, the man cave at the Smith house looks a little like a Red Sox shirne, so if you come stop over at my house you my feel a little queasy.

quattro
12-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Bradford, I get queasy everytime I see your moniker! Imagine how lousy I feel all the time living outside of Boston.

I've also been thinking of looking into riding the Ride The Rockies, have you ridden it Bradford? Registration opens early February. Is it difficult to get in?

Bradford
12-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Bradford, I get queasy everytime I see your moniker! Imagine how lousy I feel all the time living outside of Boston.

I've also been thinking of looking into riding the Ride The Rockies, have you ridden it Bradford? Registration opens early February. Is it difficult to get in?
The combination of the baby and my job travel has really destroyed my riding, so I haven't done any of the cool rides in Colorado or the surrounding states, but I certainly will eventually.

The good news is that if a gang of Forum folks come out for a ride, it will force me to get out and put in the miles in '08.

Jack Brunk
12-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Where can we go for information concerning this ride? sounds like it might be a cool thing to do.

Bradford
12-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Where can we go for information concerning this ride? sounds like it might be a cool thing to do.
http://www.coppertriangle.com/

huey
12-09-2007, 07:12 PM
This sounds like it could be a really good time. I'm up for the challenge.

Bruce K
12-09-2007, 07:26 PM
I am getting kind of revved up over the idea that this could become another Serotta Forum based ride, gathering, and charity fund-raiser.

Based on information posted here so far, I am thinking that I will fly into Denver on Wednesday, hang out with Bradford until Friday night or Saturday morning and then relocate to Copper for the weekend, flying home on Monday.

That should leave plenty of time for acclimation, sight seeing, visiting, and fun.

BK

Pete Serotta
12-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Sounds like a good plan-----count me in.

I am getting kind of revved up over the idea that this could become another Serotta Forum based ride, gathering, and charity fund-raiser.

Based on information posted here so far, I am thinking that I will fly into Denver on Wednesday, hang out with Bradford until Friday night or Saturday morning and then relocate to Copper for the weekend, flying home on Monday.

That should leave plenty of time for acclimation, sight seeing, visiting, and fun.

BK

Jack Brunk
12-09-2007, 07:34 PM
http://www.coppertriangle.com/
Thank you sir!

quattro
12-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Bruce, am I reading this correctly, "$10 minimum donation to the Davis Phinney Foundation"? Tell Billy to take a look at this, competition! I'm seriously thinking about this ride.

Bruce K
12-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Mo;

I'm DEFINTIELY in.

My brother just agreed to donate to the DPF the same amount he did for each of the last 2 PMC's and he was my largest contributor.

I think this will be a blast. Besides with Pete, Bradford, you, and some of the other folks who have posted their interest we could have quite the Forum gang.

I'll be re-gearing the Meivici to an 50/34 on the front which should work fine with the 11-26 SRAM Red cassette I'm waiting for.

I guess we'll be doing some rides out around the Mt. Wachusett area to get ready.

BK

roman meal
12-10-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm entertaining this possibility, Bruce.

quattro
12-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Bruce, is fundraising minimum really $10.00? I could do this ride once a year for 400 years before hitting the one year PMC minimum.

Bradford
12-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Bruce,

The ride is on Saturday, August 2nd, so we would have to be up there Friday at the latest. We should plan on renting condos for Friday and Saturday night.

Bruce K
12-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Yes, it's really only $10 so far as I know.

I am shooting for $2000 - $3000 as a goal.

I have also set a goal of $500 for the ECV Metric Century in June and $1500 for Sunflower Revolution in September.

With luck I will raise over $5000 for the DPF before the season is over.

Let's talk after the first of the year to figure out some idea of travel plans, etc.

BK

Cinci Jim
12-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Hey Bruce,

I might be up for this ride, I might just have to join you :beer:

Bruce K
12-11-2007, 06:14 AM
Hey Jim;

That would be great.

You'd have to bring that screamin' red machine for fun.

BK