PDA

View Full Version : short vs. long reach brakes

yarg
12-31-2003, 08:00 PM
Another ? thats relevant to my single speed project - Does it matter which brake calipers I use if I am coverting an old 27" fame to use with 700mm wheels? It seems to me that the difference in wheel position would only be roughly 7mm which could be made up in adjustment of the brake pad slot. What is the difference between calipers that are described as short and long reach?

Educate me please - thanks.

bfd
12-31-2003, 08:41 PM
Basically, the question is whether the arms on your *short* reach brakes allow your pads to drop down enough to reach the rim. If so, then use it. For more explanation on short vs. long reach brakes, read here:

http://www.rivbike.com/html/bikes_brakereach.html

For more on brakes, go to the man - Sheldon Brown:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakes/index.html

yarg
12-31-2003, 09:36 PM
Thanks. Very informative sites. I also got to Sheldon Browns tire/rim size page - info I just never knew. If I understand it correctly there is only 4mm of difference in rim/brake position between an old 27" rim (630mm) and a 700c rim (622mm). The old unvivega came with standard reach brake calipers (49-57mm). So it seems to me that if I want new calipers they will also have to be standard reach calipers.

hypnos
01-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Install your wheels, if you have them. Then measure from the center of the brake mounting hole to the center of the rim. That distance will be the exact reach required. I was crushed when I discovered that the really cool NOS frame bought on ebay requires brakes with 65mm of reach. Old center pull brakes are the only option.

Good luck with your conversion.

bfd
01-01-2004, 09:30 PM
hynos states:

<I was crushed when I discovered that the really cool NOS frame bought on ebay requires brakes with 65mm of reach. Old center pull brakes are the only option.>

If you need 65mm, you're right ebay is probably the only option. However, *NEW* center pull brakes are still available for those needing only up to 63mm:

http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/brakes/15111.html

Too Tall
01-05-2004, 08:27 AM
I believe Sheldon Brown still sells a brake drop bolt that should work with most single pivot ctr. pulls. That will fix your problem without buying new brakes.

dbrk
01-05-2004, 08:54 AM
If you put Mathauser (salmon Kool Stops are the same material) on a fine pair of DiaCompe Centerpulls, the ones that Rivendell sells, you will have the slickest, nicest, kickin'butt'est brakes on this here planet (and likely on others for miles around). I just put them on the Rambouillet and will try another on the incoming Nagasawa. Of course, you're lookin' at the guy with a BOX full of NOS Mafacs that I hope is buried with me (in the backyard) when I die, 'cause no one else will care but me and some old French guy with 650b wheels...

The physics of centerpulls are so obviously superior the real shame is that the whole industry went another way just when they were getting good. Mafac Competitions and 2000s were great brakes, also the Raids for bigger wheels; Diacompe got into it and made really excellent ones...then everyone just stopped.

Another good idea down the ol'drain,

dbrk