PDA

View Full Version : Vuelta Wheels?

djg
12-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Does anybody know a darn thing about Vuelta wheels? An interweb outfit is offering to blow out their 50 mm carbon tubular wheels at 400 bucks per pair, new.

If the wheels stink, that's 400 bucks for a set of big black stinky wheels and who needs that? If they're pretty good ... well, I know, I know, local, local, and other things might be better first choices, at much, much more money. But if a grand or two or six are off the table, and somebody is curious about deep profile carbon wheels AND YOU ACTUALLY KNOW what these are, are they good wheels or a waste?

So?

shinomaster
12-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Oh! Cross racing wheels!

jerk
12-05-2007, 09:50 PM
worth 400$ for sure. fastest wheels in the world those vueltas. ondtej sosenko used'em in his hour record. sure, those were the famius vuelta gel 280s with famouse vuelta logos. but you gst the point. they're alot nicer than a anything else you can get for that money.

shinomaster
12-05-2007, 09:52 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Vuelta-Team-Carbon-Fiber-Wheel-Set-700c-Road-TT-Tri_W0QQitemZ170173601369QQihZ007QQcategoryZ58099Q QcmdZViewItem

shinomaster
12-05-2007, 09:55 PM
I know they make some "special" wheels and some junk too. It would be worth getting the exact year and model number they are selling. http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/manufacturer/vuelta/index.html

djg
12-05-2007, 10:33 PM
worth 400$ for sure. fastest wheels in the world those vueltas. ondtej sosenko used'em in his hour record. sure, those were the famius vuelta gel 280s with famouse vuelta logos. but you gst the point. they're alot nicer than a anything else you can get for that money.

Jerk, I'm trying to read through the funny bits to the actual advice that I'd value from you. Here's the thing: I have good quality low profile wheels from mavic and campagnolo. I like them. I don't need anything better or fundamentally different. In fact, I picked up a new set of mavic Ks, the tubular version, for just about 400 bucks this year. I know that they can be raced at a much higher level than my sorry and aging behind can manage -- a much higher level than I could ever manage. I guess I'm not really wondering whether the Veultas would be a decent set of 400 dollar wheels, because I don't need another decent set of 400 buck wheels. What I'm wondering is whether the vuelta wheels would be fundamentally different, and in a cool way. That is, would I notice the aero thing, at appropriate speeds, and still find the wheels solid and stable going around corners, etc? Or maybe, as shino suggested, these would be good for shedding mud on a cross course. You don't know me, so maybe that's a serious constraint on any serious answer. And maybe a real serious answer would be fuzzier than I'd like.

And I know the decals are hideous and maybe that's ok.

Back to the you don't know me part, and this may be shocking: give me the best wheels in the world and your favorite walser built to fit (and assume the bike is ok for the record), and get mila jovovich, looking just like she did in the fifth element, jumping up and down cheering and making promises she shouldn't keep, and I'm still not going to set the hour record. Darn shame, sure, but I'm ok with it, more or less, and still riding anyway.

djg
12-05-2007, 10:38 PM
I know they make some "special" wheels and some junk too. It would be worth getting the exact year and model number they are selling. http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/manufacturer/vuelta/index.html

You could call them -- the ones advertised say that they have tubular CF monocoque rims and I don't think there's any Al braking surface affixed anywhere -- so, not like the picture in your ebay post, but apart from an advertised weight, and a spoke count, I don't know much.

sokyroadie
12-06-2007, 05:00 AM
Does anybody know a darn thing about Vuelta wheels? An interweb outfit is offering to blow out their 50 mm carbon tubular wheels at 400 bucks per pair, new.

Look here:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=114864

$398.00 including free shipping - actually some other good deals :cool:

Jeff