PDA

View Full Version : A weekend of Good Times in Portland

shinomaster
12-05-2007, 03:48 PM
This past weekend was one of the best for me in recent memory.
It all started Thursday night when I went out and partied with my friends till One in the morning in a smoky dive bar. I woke up Friday feeling very confused and coughing. I have had a cough for three weeks now. I think getting bronchitis in 1992 somehow effed up my lungs for good. It's probably not a good Idea to get wrecked two days before a race, but I didn't exactly plan it to happen that way. They had Chimay on draught after all! :beer:
I met Zank and Terry and Chris at the Vanilla open house where there was some seriously pretty stuff to drool over. Sacha was as gracious and friendly as ever. I got to bed that night early but couldn't sleep due to extreme excitement, and the fact that I was over tired. I woke up the next day to race at 6:00 for a 8:30 race, feeling as if I were dead. Hey, it all worked out and I got 6th! Yay. It was fun hanging out with Zank and meeting Matt Myette10. They are both exceptionally nice persons and I can see why they would be friends. Zank raced next in the B's and rode the muddy hill almost every time, when a lot of the guys in his race were using it as a place to look confused and helpless, crash, or fall down. Zank is all smiles as he races, as if he is actually having fun. Maybe he isn't taking it seriously enough?
Terry and Matt raced next in the masters A' race. It looked like a wicked hard field and the race was strung out really fast buy a guy who should clearly be riding in the pro field. As a matter of fact the front of the B' field was led by some clowns that looked like pro's too. Zank, I promise you they were sandbaggers.
I had a stuffy lawyer party to go to with a friend that night and glutted my starving self on an all your can eat gourmet, fat camp sufferer's nightmare of a buffet. It was perfect and delicious. Those lawyers can really party. Got home late and went to bed after working on my bike in my kitchen, and I wasn't sure if I would race the next day or not. :confused:
I woke up feeling wired and refreshed and drank a can of Full Throttle for breakfast, and raced out to the race leaving behind my Gore-tex jacket and polar fleece for after the race. I raced mostly for fun having a great time and it was a great way to end the season. I stuck around to watch Zank race but then I had to split as I was completely soaked, and shivering.
I headed over to another party after that! It was the Cross crusade awards party prom. Those crazy fools can really party (sorry lawyers!) I won some $100 wood fenders! Now I can have a real fender bike like Terry and Chris. of course I drank some winter ale and it didn't take much to put me back in the coffin, thus ending the best weekend of recent memory (from what I can remember.)
It's just too bad the weather suck so badly. I had visions of spraying Zank with Chimay and hanging out in the lovely weather, after the race. Did you drink that beer Zank? Did you get in that hot tub?
Myette10's Zank was one of the most lovely cross bikes I have seen, and it was the final kick in the pants for me to order a Zank. I pulled the trigger. I'll have it in the summer with plenty of time to build it up and familiarize myself with it. The Fuji is going to Fuji heaven. Somehow his bike was lighter than mine too even though it was made out of old, antiquated steel. :) I can't wait to get it and build it up. The only thing I need to figure out now is how long a top tube to get.

gasman
12-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Shino- You don't look like you had much fun as Zank !

But now you get to ride one .
Cool

shinomaster
12-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Usually I want to cry when I race.

conorb
12-05-2007, 06:09 PM
for cross and friends.

Nice pics too.

conorb

big shanty
12-05-2007, 06:20 PM
The lady makes kickass hats:

http://little-package.com/#oneoff

shinomaster
12-05-2007, 07:00 PM

The one with the cheeks hanging out?

big shanty
12-05-2007, 07:07 PM
you becha. Great service, too. <insert suggestive joke here>

But seriously......she made the latest batch of "limited edition" Vanilla hats. I have a microfleece winter cycling cap I got from her a few months ago. It rocks.

wasfast
12-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Looks like you spent some time running around the course with Brooke Hoyer. We ride at lunch time a moderate amount (we work at the same company). I just try to stay on his wheel. He's really strong this year....and a heck of nice guy.

J.Greene
12-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Shino,

Thanks for the memories man, even if i wasn't there.

JG

PS, take some dinner pics soon.

shinomaster
12-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Dude I made some gnocchi with squash, sage, cream, zucchini, and spinach that almost killed us, but the pictures came out blurry. My camera is crap.

Blue Jays
12-05-2007, 08:35 PM
I've never had such a burning interest in cyclocross since I started hanging here on the Serotta Forums site.
Can't wait to give it a whirl after all these many years of being into roadriding and mountainbiking...

shinomaster
12-05-2007, 08:38 PM
I've never had such a burning interest in cyclocross since I started hanging here on the Serotta Forums site.
Can't wait to give it a whirl after all these many years of being into roadriding and mountainbiking...

Oh it will turn you into a foppish dandy for sure.

Blue Jays
12-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Not to mention a darn good workout without having to ride a zillion miles from home. Those are some excellent photographs, shinomaster.

RIHans
12-05-2007, 09:09 PM
I had a chance to meet Mike Zanc in Palmer, Mass a coupla' weeks ago.

I think he had that same smile on his face!

I think he loves it.

Late edit...Good to see the HUP team rep'in East Coast.

DarrenCT
12-05-2007, 10:08 PM
sweeeeeeeetness!

im going to get into this cross thing sooner or later for sure.

lotsa good times atm(observation)

zank
12-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Darren, sooner or later? You mean later as in next September, right?

I have been trying to get out from under my mountain of work to write up a report from the weekend, but all I can say is "Thank you, Portland, for your hospitality!"

I had an absolute blast. Terry was an amazing host. I didn't really have to think about anything except having a great time and riding my bike. As I get some pictures resized, I will post them up. Unfortunately I only have one decent one of Shinomonster. He put the screws to the C race. And I think he took the advice I gave him on Friday night. Myette always smiles for the camera I guess...

More soon...

andy mac
12-06-2007, 07:46 AM
but you didn't make it to the Acrop for Portland's best steak?!?!?!
:beer: :beer: :beer:

myette10
12-06-2007, 09:39 AM
but you didn't make it to the Acrop for Portland's best steak?!?!?!
No Acrop, but I was drooling over all of the restaurant choices, as is the case everytime I visit someplace new. We hit Johnny's in West Linn for some late nite pizza, Cha x3 in Portland for a tasty Mexican lunch, and McMenamins for pub food the night before leaving. Terry showed us a good time and his wife is a saint in addition to being a good cook.

A big thank you to the Half Fast Velo guys for taking care of me Saturday afternoon. Paul & Bob are solid guys and I thought the beer was quite tasty thank you very much... with my tolerance, they all taste the same after the first half cup. You know you're having fun when you're drinking keg beer served from the clamshell door of a Honda Element while standing in front of a propane heater under a cycling tent in the pouring rain.

Too Tall
12-06-2007, 09:42 AM
OUTSTANDING :) Thanks Shino you da best. Great write up.

News of the day...Zank can't go left!

zank
12-06-2007, 09:50 AM
More like "zank doesn't have anythng LEFT".

I will be riding this weekend on the last sliver of fitness that I have left in my body!

But, alas, you are right, TT. I am not an ambi-turner.

That's Myette in the second pic I posted, BTW.

Fixed
12-06-2007, 09:58 AM
bro I like this part
"Chimay on draught after all!" proper
cheers

shinomaster
12-06-2007, 11:06 AM
No Acrop, but I was drooling over all of the restaurant choices, as is the case everytime I visit someplace new. We hit Johnny's in West Linn for some late nite pizza, Cha x3 in Portland for a tasty Mexican lunch, and McMenamins for pub food the night before leaving. Terry showed us a good time and his wife is a saint in addition to being a good cook.

A big thank you to the Half Fast Velo guys for taking care of me Saturday afternoon. Paul & Bob are solid guys and I thought the beer was quite tasty thank you very much... with my tolerance, they all taste the same after the first half cup. You know you're having fun when you're drinking keg beer served from the clamshell door of a Honda Element while standing in front of a propane heater under a cycling tent in the pouring rain.

Those guys were super cool. Yeah I was drunk after a race and one beer too. :beer: Bob was at the party Sunday dancing like a teenager. Glad you had a good time Matt.

chrisroph
12-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Mike and Matt, it was great to meet and hang with you guys. It was a gas. Thanks for taking the time and effort to get out here and experience some of what Portland has to offer.

Terry and I will try to put together a trip out to your parts next fall for some cross new england style.

Mike, lemme know when you are ready to talk numbers, can't wait to get going on the project.

Best, Chris

crossjunkee
12-06-2007, 01:49 PM

Those are pretty cool!

Nice pic's too. I don't miss the mud!

myette10
12-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Mike and Matt, it was great to meet and hang with you guys. It was a gas. Thanks for taking the time and effort to get out here and experience some of what Portland has to offer.

Terry and I will try to put together a trip out to your parts next fall for some cross new england style.

Mike, lemme know when you are ready to talk numbers, can't wait to get going on the project.

Best, Chris
It was great, thanks for the truck and the good cheer. Tell Tia I miss her too. As for next fall and NE cross... all you have to remember is "Gloucester" otherwise known as "New England Worlds." It is usually a grass crit (mmm.... just how I like it) but it can be windy, rainy, snowy or all of the above. It is the first or second weekend in October just about every year. Bring fitness and at least a 42t ring.

Working the PDX summary now...

shinomaster
12-06-2007, 02:09 PM
It was great, thanks for the truck and the good cheer. Tell Tia I miss her too. As for next fall and NE cross... all you have to remember is "Gloucester" otherwise known as "New England Worlds." It is usually a grass crit (mmm.... just how I like it) but it can be windy, rainy, snowy or all of the above. It is the first or second weekend in October just about every year. Bring fitness and at least a 42t ring.

Working the PDX summary now...

Chris you me and Terry should DO it. I'll stay with my Mom..I was going to try for this race as it was. :banana:

zank
12-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Shino, I would insist that you stay with us at the Hup house.

shinomaster
12-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Shino, I would insist that you stay with us at the Hup house.

Is that a frat house? Actually that sounds better than couch surfing at my mom's. You guys have a keg of Delerium?

chrisroph
12-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Matt, I'll give regards to Tia.

Shino, you can come too.

I like grass crits.

zank
12-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Is that a frat house? Actually that sounds better than couch surfing at my mom's. You guys have a keg of Delerium?

We hosted about 20 racers this year at my in-laws house in Gloucester. It was fun. Maybe Myette will chime in with his impressions of the weekend.

Bring your 34 tubbies and high-speed cornering skills.

myette10
12-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Maybe Myette will chime in with his impressions of the weekend.

The weekend at the Gloucester house? Every weekend there is fun, but especially the Gran Prix weekend. There are 7 bedrooms yet the bodies are everywhere. Simon Lambert's pop slept with the washing machine and dryer this year. Parking is tight but you won't have cars. The house sits on a bluff of rocks directly above the Atlantic ocean, wake up early and check out the sunrise you poor land locked souls. There will be huge spreads of food and plenty of beer if that is your thing. It is very laid back, and any chance you get to spend 2-3 days with Dr. Z is a good thing. Plus... it is the best racing in the area. Start has been by registration, keep this in mind. The course is about 3 miles from the house through town.

shinomaster
12-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Sounds like a blast. Zank's father's house? I could probably sleep there if I brought ear plugs and a blindfold.