PDA

View Full Version : Anti-cycling journalism (ignorant)

Mr. Butterworth
07-29-2004, 02:56 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_imrem.asp?intid=38194111

Brons2
07-29-2004, 03:27 PM
I agree, how incredibly ignorant.

I doubt Lance would survive a quarter in the NFL, but then again, I doubt most pro basketball or baseball players could either. It doesn't diminish their accomplishments in their respective sports and the amazing dedication it took to make those achivements.

I suspect that writer has not been on a bicycle since his 10 speed in the 4th grade.

Chief
07-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Simply demonstrates how much he knows about football let alone cycling. If he knew any better, he would have picked someone other than Willliams who never lived up to his potential while Lance has exceeded his. The big difference between the two is that Lance is a dedicated athlete who Williams only could be in his dreams. Moreover, LA works at his profession which Williams never did. I could go on and on and on..., but I think you get the point. :argue:

alembical
07-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Half the humor of that article comes from the fact that the day after Williams announced he was quiting, it was also announced that he had failed his last drug test (that the NFL was requiring of him because of previous problems), but for some reason, that got lots less news. These people write these things, not because they really believe them, but to get the articles read and cause controversy. I have no doubt that the article has a couter on it, and measures the number of visitors, and each time we forward it on, comment on it, write the paper a reply, etc... we are only increasing the number of these articles we will see in the future.

Alembical

OilyFish
07-29-2004, 03:51 PM
If I were to "peddle" my bicycle would I be LA or Trek, perhaps they are one and the same. I think we should be told.
:confused:
Oops muppet!

ericmurphy
07-29-2004, 05:20 PM
Put it this way: Williams could peddle a bicycle for a couple hours in the Tour de France but Armstrong couldn't survive a single hit in the NFL.
He'd be a kilometer off the back after two kilometers. After a couple of hours, he'd be 50 kilometers back.

Mike has absolutely no idea how grueling being a pro racer is. Not knowing much about football, I'm going to estimate that there are about 900 professional football players in the united states (32 teams, 30 players per team). Maybe 100 of them have a realistic chance of being on the winning Superbowl team in a given year.

In any given year, perhaps three bicyclists have a realistic chance of winning the Tour de France. Only about 200 even have a realistic chance of starting.

The Superbowl lasts three hours.

The Tour de France lasts three weeks.

That you can ride a bike for a couple of hours (which I doubt Williams could do, the first time out) does not a pro-level bike racer make.

Dekonick
07-29-2004, 06:06 PM
heh - preaching to the choir.

What an arse. I would love to see him just complete the prologue. I doubt he could do even that...

Football...well its a hard sport. Sure it is. Takes talent too... but so does Cycling. I would love to see any of the examples he gives survive 1/2 hour in the peleton, much less complete one flat stage. I wonder if any of the players he idolizes could play with a fractured clavicle...

bcm119
07-29-2004, 06:16 PM
I don't understand these inflammatory blurbs, are they written about other sports? I never read these until someone posts them, but I wonder how many other non-mainstream sports heroes are the butt of these jokes? Does he write about synchronized swimming and pro bowling too?

Regardless, the author seems a little dull to me. Even his writing style is sophomoric.

Ozz
07-29-2004, 06:18 PM
what a stupid thing to even try and argue!

There is so little in common between sports, it is ridiculous to put that label on someone.

pro level athletes have the following in common:

great strength or great endurance (seldom both)
superior hand / eye / foot coordination
superior reflexes
superior balance / agility
mental focus (at least the very best do)

and most importantly, they are very, very good at one particular skill....

It is typically this skill that determines what sport they achieve greatness in.

Atheletes that are pretty good at different skills are called "Decathletes", and are probably the best candidates for "worlds greatest athlete" title, since they do lots of things well (maybe even good enough to play football ;) ).

Russ
07-29-2004, 09:55 PM
Guys, you are not reading correctly!!! ;) Look at this:

"...Put it this way: Williams could peddle a bicycle for a couple hours in the Tour de France but Armstrong couldn't survive a single hit in the NFL."

Peddle: ped·dle [pédd’l]
(past ped·dled, past participle ped·dled, present participle ped·dling, 3rd person present singular ped·dles) v
1. vti sell goods: to sell goods, especially while traveling from place to place
2. vt drugs sell drugs: to sell something illegal, especially drugs (dated)
3. vt promote idea: to promote an idea or belief insistently

Pedal: ped·al [pédd’l]
vti (past ped·aled, past participle ped·aled, present participle ped·al·ing, 3rd person present singular ped·als)
1. transport make bicycle move: to use the pedals to make a bicycle or other vehicle move forward
2. operate or play instrument using foot mechanism: to operate the pedals of something such as a piano, organ, or machine in order to make it work

So perhaps this guy, Williams, could peddle for two hours in the Tour (see both def. #2 above). But could he really pedal with the pro cyclists for that long?!!!

Andreu
07-30-2004, 02:30 AM
I pity the people in the suburbs of Chicago having to read this sort of stuff.