PDA

View Full Version : Car vs. Garage

BuddyB
12-05-2007, 11:41 AM
About 6 weeks ago I decided it would be great fun to drive into my garage with my fancy road bike on the roof rack.
The fork was snapped, the frame was bent and deemed unrideable by the manufacturer ( although I was able to bend it back enough to ride on a stationary trainer indoors ), the rear wheel was tweaked, the tray on the roof rack bent and twisted and my 12 year old Subaru suffered an dent on the roof.
Here are a few photos of the fork. Feel free to take delight in my misfortune, my wife sure did!

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/buddybuscemi/DSCN6084copy.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/buddybuscemi/DSCN6083copy.jpg

I have a 2007 Serotta HSG IT frameset on the way. I'll post photos after the build.

Buddy B

coylifut
12-05-2007, 11:46 AM
About 6 weeks ago I decided it would be great fun to drive into my garage with my fancy road bike on the roof rack.
The fork was snapped, the frame was bent and deemed unrideable by the manufacturer ( although I was able to bend it back enough to ride on a stationary trainer indoors ), the rear wheel was tweaked, the tray on the roof rack bent and twisted and my 12 year old Subaru suffered an dent on the roof.
Here are a few photos of the fork. Feel free to take delight in my misfortune, my wife sure did!

I have a 2007 Serotta HGS IT frameset on the way. I'll post photos after the build.

Buddy B

I one time drove Christoph's SUV under a low overhang with another friends bike on top. it cost me about $1,500. It was a very dark day.

rwsaunders
12-05-2007, 11:59 AM
My sympathy. I learned years ago to place something inside the garage door so I have to get out the car, without driving directly in the garage. Prior to that trick, I came close too many times.

myette10
12-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Hi - My name is Matt and I've driven a roof mounted bike into a garage twice.

Ozz
12-05-2007, 12:07 PM
How it really went down:

...Honey, I just had an accident with my bike ( :banana: )....I need to run down to the bike shop and order a new one....
followed by....
...I have a 2007 Serotta HSG IT frameset on the way. I'll post photos after the build....

good one! ;)

pjm
12-05-2007, 12:09 PM
I'll bet you said something like "Oh Fiddlesticks!!" :crap:

barry1021
12-05-2007, 12:10 PM

I have a 2007 Serotta HSG IT frameset on the way. I'll post photos after the build.

Buddy B

is even beyond duct tape. Do you think the bike manufacturers secretly finance roof rack manufacturers? The only way I could use one without doing that is run a wire from the battery to my privates that would shock me every 30 seconds along with a verbal warning "Attention:bike on roof. Attention...."

Blue Jays
12-05-2007, 12:10 PM
BuddyB, what an unfortunate accident. Ouch. :(
Glad to hear the result was the ability to purchase a new Serotta bicycle! :)
Welcome to the forums...

mflaherty37
12-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Hi my name is Matt and I three have driven a brand bew Csi into a garage.

In my case the Csi and the Reynolds fork one, the car lost. A new roof and pulled out 4 dents on the side sills and repaint the trunk lid and reinstall the windows, the rear one 3 times to stop leaking. $3300 :no:

I rode the Csi for a couple months before I saw a small seperation of the brazing on the steer tube under top tube. It cost a very reasonable amount to fix that like new and I still ride it. :banana:

Kevan
12-05-2007, 12:17 PM
that wasn't used for this particular occasion, but somehow seems so appropriate:

For those less forkunate...

I've had my own run-in with a low-hanging bridge. Bike survived, but the saddle and seatpost went bye-bye. The racket made inside the car was most unsettling as the roof buckled and popped. Somehow it survived too.

dwightskin
12-05-2007, 12:53 PM
That plastic carbon saved your life. If it was a steel fork, it would have been strong enough that your bike would have been jammed down into the car's roof, peeling the roof open, thus forcing the bike into your head.

Carbon saves you again.

In my garage, I wheel my trash can into the parking space when I load my bike. I also lock my bike to the rack but have the key attached to the garage door opener which I put into the glove box.

Dwight

DarrenCT
12-05-2007, 01:00 PM
very funny topic. at least your laughing over it.

:banana:

deanster
12-05-2007, 01:26 PM
I have 2 signs that tell me not to drive into the garage when the bike is on top. First I have a sign that I put on the garage door with small chains that allow the sign to dangle down with a big BIKE ON TOP warning. It is high enough that it allows my car to drive in without touching the top. The second sign is a sign that dangles from my rear view mirror that I put up whenever I have a bike on top. This may stop me when I am out and try and go into a low level parking structure or pull into a drive in with a low overhang. So far it has worked. I have never done the dirty deed but, have seen too many friends who have. Give it a try it has worked for 5 years.

Cost: $12.57

goonster
12-05-2007, 01:59 PM
I thought this could never happen to me.

Then it happened to my wife. With me in the passenger seat. :butt:

dutri42590
12-05-2007, 02:11 PM
i work in a bike shop and see every 4-6 months. i love hearing the stroys. and tell them that the repair will be 2000$+. :crap: for them
JPR

Len J
12-05-2007, 02:24 PM
where a guy put his bike on the rack, in the garage....and then drove out!

I was always so worried about driving my bike into the garage, I would put the bike on out by the back door.........one day, I did this and then proceeded to back over the wheel I left leaning against the bumper.

We all have O $hit moments.

lenm

BuddyB
12-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the sharing your oops moments.
I have been carrying a bike on the roof of cars for 20 some years now, and this was my first disaster. I used to work in a shop myself and I have seen my fair share of bikes vs garages.
I am excited to be back on a Serotta!
I had a Colorado II that I raced the heck out of in the early nineties. I sold it to a friend who had it repainted and a dent filled in the top tube. He then sold it to another friend after he purchased a Colorado TI.
Ironically this the same friend who showed me the HSG IT from bluesky on ebay and told me about the Serotta forums.

Thanks
Buddy B

stevep
12-05-2007, 03:06 PM
buddy,
i saw the ad for the fork on e-bay...

"some cosmetic damage but overall good shape..."

Blue Jays
12-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Tom Kellogg has a story about a person who took delivery of a new Spectrum, put it on his/her roof to take home, and promptly slammed it into the garage. Not so much as a single mile on the bicycle.

:eek:

RPS
12-05-2007, 03:25 PM
My Sears garage door opener has a security function that disables the remote opener. When I get back I have to get out of the car and use a keypad to open the door. That's when I unload the bike and store in garage before parking the car.

avalonracing
12-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the sharing your oops moments.
I have been carrying a bike on the roof of cars for 20 some years now, and this was my first disaster. I used to work in a shop myself and I have seen my fair share of bikes vs garages.
I am excited to be back on a Serotta!
I had a Colorado II that I raced the heck out of in the early nineties. I sold it to a friend who had it repainted and a dent filled in the top tube. He then sold it to another friend after he purchased a Colorado TI.
Ironically this the same friend who showed me the HSG IT from bluesky on ebay and told me about the Serotta forums.

Thanks
Buddy B

Yeah, now your friend has to get a new bike too!

BTW- Your wife laughs whenever you cramp, bonk or crash. :D

jhcakilmer
12-05-2007, 05:25 PM
"been there, done that"......... :crap:

Steve Hampsten
12-05-2007, 06:25 PM
When I had my new garage built I omitted the automatic opener for this very reason - I have had no regrets.

Otoh, my car has never seen the inside of my garage so maybe I'm not so smart after all.

swoop
12-05-2007, 06:34 PM
looks like the garage took the hit pretty hard too.

neverraced
12-05-2007, 06:38 PM
I'll say it again for you guys--

put the remote opener in your seatbag on the bike.

put the remote opener in your seatbag on the bike.

put the remote opener in your seatbag on the bike...

OperaLover
12-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Sort of. Both times my wife was driving, but I was in the front passenger seat. (She did me a favor picking me up from work.) The first time was the all Japanese steel 3Rensho. NO DAMAGE! to bike (just a little paint off the TT and paint rub from the wooden garage door.) Swore it would not happen again. Yakima took pity on me and sent me a new bike tray for free, no damage to car, either.

Second time, (as I recall we were having a conversation and the topic was about some friends, online hook ups . . . you get the picture) we both forgot about the bike and one crunched aluminium Cannodale mt. bike. Minor dent in roof, but the trays survived.

Now kids (3) are told to remind Daddy or Mommy that there are bikes on the roof. Somehow, I don't mind being reminded the entire way home (BIKE, Daddy, BIKE!)

Blue Jays
12-05-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm thinking a brightly-colored green or yellow plastic chain draped across the path leading into the garage would be a good thing. Tell anyone in the house that if the chain is stretched across the doorway, it is to stay there until the car is returned to the garage. Placing the garage door opener in the saddlebag is also a proven good suggestion. My preference is to keep nice bicycles inside the vehicle cabin with me.

Dekonick
12-05-2007, 08:44 PM
I use a van - keep the bike inside, away from 70mph bugs. :)

dookie
12-05-2007, 10:06 PM
only barely related...

a couple years ago i backed my truck into my garage, installed a lift kit, and then ripped the roof rack off driving it out!

doh!

mosca
12-05-2007, 10:15 PM
A friend of mine took his car in for service with his bike on the roof rack. "No problem", they said....

sw3759
12-06-2007, 04:00 AM
"I use a van - keep the bike inside, away from 70mph bugs"

+1 :)
makes me glad i have a van everytime i hear/read these stories

djg
12-06-2007, 07:20 AM

Buddy B

Buddy, it seems like a shame that you have to trash the old bike like this to con the wife into letting you buy a new one. OTOH, it's a plausible accident with very little risk to the actual rider, so ...