PDA

View Full Version : Boston Legal - Discuss

Viper
12-04-2007, 09:11 PM
It's the best show on an otherwise boring tv offering. The cast of characters are truly a cast of characters, there's about 4-5 women on the show I'd sleep with, I laugh every time I watch it and Denny Crane's cell phone makes a Star Trek 'communicator' noise when he flips it open. Discuss.

Denny Crane: I have an erection. That's a good sign. I'm ready to go to trial. Lock and load.

Blue Jays
12-04-2007, 09:30 PM
When is it on and which network? I'll give it a whirl since I enjoy good humor.

DarrenCT
12-04-2007, 09:31 PM
the blonde 2nd from the right looks like a winner.

can we get some youtube videos on her?

Polyglot
12-04-2007, 09:35 PM
It is on ABC right now. Tuesday evenings at PM in the East. The blonde is no longer in the cast. She has been replaced by other eye candy.

Viper
12-04-2007, 09:44 PM
the blonde 2nd from the right looks like a winner.

can we get some youtube videos on her?

Julie Bowen FTW. If Jennifer Connelly joined the cast I think my brain would explode. Bowen was in 'Happy Gilmore' (think, you'll remember who she was) her voice was on the 'Justice League' cartoon (since I live for 'Superfriends' I certainly watch 'The Justice League') and I even watched a series she was in from 2000-2004, 'Ed'.

Here's a pleasant thought, Selma Hayek showing Julie Bowen some love.

Ginger
12-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Nice locker room chatter boys.

pdxmech13
12-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Not sure if Crane is portrayed as the real captn kirk or if he really is this golden
Spader is a dark movie lord
and why the hell has that show been moved more than Jack Brunk's collection

Viper
12-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Not sure if Crane is portrayed as the real captn kirk or if he really is this golden
Spader is a dark movie lord
and why the hell has that show been moved more than Jack Brunk's collection

It's mostly brilliant, it keeps my attention the whole time and you're right, it's been moved around a lot. I enjoy how they take events of the day, in the news/media/politics and address them with humor.

SadieKate
12-04-2007, 10:18 PM
It's the only TV series I've ever bought on TV. Of course, I saved up my Borders Rewards so I only had to pay $6 or something ridiculous, but then not everyone can be a flamingo.

Since I'm without TV for about 3 mos, I'll probably have to buy Season 3 just for the closing balcony scenes.

pdxmech13
12-04-2007, 10:21 PM
when did i get so old :crap: :crap:

Noonan
12-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Best show on TV. Watching TiVO right now.

Best episode? A few seasons ago when they went steelhead fishing in BC. Denny with the shotgun? F***ing hilarious!

Viper
12-04-2007, 10:36 PM
It's the only TV series I've ever bought on TV. Of course, I saved up my Borders Rewards so I only had to pay $6 or something ridiculous, but then not everyone can be a flamingo.

Since I'm without TV for about 3 mos, I'll probably have to buy Season 3 just for the closing balcony scenes.

Forgive my crush(es) on all the women who are on the show...it's all part of the show and I find myself laughing at least 5x with one really good laugh at least once.

Louis
12-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Why do people waste their time watching TV when there is so much better / more important / more fun stuff to do? I quit watching when it started to turn my brain to mush. I figure this forum is all the mush-inducing stimulus I can handle.

Louis

Viper
12-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Why do people waste their time watching TV when there is so much better / more important / more fun stuff to do? I quit watching when it started to turn my brain to mush. I figure this forum is all the mush-inducing stimulus I can handle.

Louis

Easy. My brain is so powerful, I need to kill cells. :D As my brain is in overload for most of the waking hours, I enjoy unplugging and a tv can offer many things...BL offers wit, humor and sometimes valid/compelling points atmo.

Okay there smarty, you must now pick up 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and define:

1). What is the meaning of Atticus Finch's (full) name and how did this play a role in the book?

:D

Louis
12-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Okay there smarty, you must now pick up 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and define:

1). What is the meaning of Atticus Finch's (full) name and how did this play a role in the book?

It's actually on my bookcase, patiently waiting its turn.

djg
12-04-2007, 11:57 PM
It's a good show -- nothing at all to do with the law and the social lessons are canned, but the talking is way better than most of what we hear and, at the center, there's this strange variant of the buddy "movie" (show?) with Shatner playing a sort of deep cartoon of himself, a blowhard in serious decline, but not without charm, and Spader playing his broken conscience of a protege, sort of, and they're a good team and funny.

SadieKate
12-05-2007, 10:10 AM

Louis
Louis, have you watched the show? More than one episode? If so, you'd know that it covers current social and political issues, social mores, etc., etc., It's one of the few shows on network TV that uses words of more than one syllable. This is one show that actually makes you ponder things later.

Plus, try public television. I don't have any reception right now as I'm waiting for my husband to move up here to Oregon also and bring the satellite dish. In the meantime, I'm watching Ken Burns' documentaries. Because of your dreaded TV, we, the unwashed mush-loving public, have his incredible productions to watch which, by the way, set a new standard for all documentaries. Additionally, I can do creative stuff with my hands while watching TV. I usually find that people who just knock TV for the sake of knocking it are just tryin to . . . . enough said. Or perhaps you don't watch because you aren't up to multi-tasking? :D

SWorks4me
12-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Louis, have you watched the show? More than one episode? If so, you'd know that it covers current social and political issues, social mores, etc., etc., It's one of the few shows on network TV that uses words of more than one syllable. This is one show that actually makes you ponder things later.

yeah! Good point. I particularly enjoyed the ones with Denny trying to get it on with the midget after they met online....

cadence231
12-05-2007, 10:16 AM
http://www.laughforfree.net/images/Debbie_Downer.jpg

pjm
12-05-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm a big Friday Night Lights fan. Minka Kelly.....mmmmmmmmm!

davids
12-05-2007, 10:30 AM
http://exodusdev.com/sites/default/files/how-cable-really-works-800x600.png

Len J
12-05-2007, 10:33 AM
yeah! Good point. I particularly enjoyed the ones with Denny trying to get it on with the midget after they met online....

watch Boston Legal once.......it was awful IMO. It reminded my of those "Funniest Home Video" shows where people tune in to watch someone make an a$$ out of themselves or someone get hurt. Cheap humor with even worse acting.

No thanks...my time is more valuable than that.

Obviously YMMV.....and I suspect based on the ratings I'm in the minority....but that show is just bad TV.

Len

Louis
12-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Additionally, I can do creative stuff with my hands while watching TV.

Yeah, I've heard about something called knitting. Doesn't mean that that's enough to justify TV watching though.

Multitasking for me = Listening to NPR while doing bike maintenance.

Louis

SadieKate
12-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I've heard about something called knitting. Doesn't mean that that's enough to justify TV watching though.

Multitasking for me = Listening to NPR while doing bike maintenance.

LouisYou could also try flytying and rod building as a non-sexist remark. :) There's even, the horror of it, TV shows on the topic in which one can actually learn skills. OMG, you might learn something from TV!!

--SK, who can do bike maintenance and watch TV also.

girlie
12-05-2007, 11:08 AM
I love the tube.
NPR and Knitting.

Louis you can clean my bike, for me, any day.

Acotts
12-05-2007, 11:10 AM

Louis

It only kills the weakest brain cells making the herd stronger! This is especially true when paired up with beer.

Finally, to see my Tarheels stomp another team in basketball provides a priapetic surge in testosterone that can sustain me for days. Sadly...the converse is also true. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

SWorks4me
12-05-2007, 11:30 AM
watch Boston Legal once.......it was awful IMO. It reminded my of those "Funniest Home Video" shows where people tune in to watch someone make an a$$ out of themselves or someone get hurt. Cheap humor with even worse acting.

No thanks...my time is more valuable than that.

Obviously YMMV.....and I suspect based on the ratings I'm in the minority....but that show is just bad TV.

Len
ATMO
My point was...and is, It's sophomoric at best. It is not intelligent TV. It's fun to watch...and from my experience with trial lawyers pretty darn accurate with some of the attorneys at the local watering hole.

But I suppose if you are referring to current events as online dating and grab a55ing in the board room, then yes. It is spot on.

It's like saying you could've learned about the oil industry by watching Dallas. Wow, was that a stretch?!

Viper
12-05-2007, 01:54 PM
ATMO
My point was...and is, It's sophomoric at best. It is not intelligent TV. It's fun to watch...and from my experience with trial lawyers pretty darn accurate with some of the attorneys at the local watering hole.

But I suppose if you are referring to current events as online dating and grab a55ing in the board room, then yes. It is spot on.

It's like saying you could've learned about the oil industry by watching Dallas. Wow, was that a stretch?!

It's more about wit, the ability to make points through humor. And wit-levels are like testosterone, estrogen and EPO levels, we're not all the same. Some folks hear wit and say, "Huh, what?" Most do. Shakespeare said, "Brevity is the soul of wit" and it's rare for a show on tv to quickly offer good laughs.

Besides, WILLIAM SHATNER is in it, need we say more? :cool:

davids
12-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Besides, WILLIAM SHATNER is in it, need we say more? :cool:I'm as tired of Shatner's shtick where he knowingly makes fun of his execrable acting as I am of his execrable acting.

SWorks4me
12-05-2007, 02:22 PM
It's more about wit, the ability to make points through humor. And wit-levels are like testosterone, estrogen and EPO levels, we're not all the same. Some folks hear wit and say, "Huh, what?" Most do. Shakespeare said, "Brevity is the soul of wit" and it's rare for a show on tv to quickly offer good laughs.

Besides, WILLIAM SHATNER is in it, need we say more? :cool:

i totally get the the wit and appreciate it...but please do not say it is intelligent. taking one liners from the local country club locker room is not intelligence. it is easy and gets a laugh. just like potty humor in a teen movie will always be huge.

cleavage, a55, mine is bigger than yours, you did who last night, will always get ratings. just don't put it in a category where it doesn't belong.

ATMO...

oh, and I love staring at Julie Bowen

SadieKate
12-05-2007, 03:36 PM
It's a farce!

And, yes, current events. For instance, cockfighting has been a newsworthy issue in both places I have lived in the last several months. A couple episodes this season were about cockfighting, a not normally funny topic but the farcical twist took away the controversial aspect, provided some humor, and actually made one think about cockfighting and the cultures that accept it.

It's the only "legal" show on TV that all of my attorney friends (and husband) will watch because it pokes fun at anyone, everyone, attorneys, judges, juries, etc. It helps them laugh at the built-in stupidity of our legal system.

I didn't initially watch either because of Shatner, but a couple episodes and you understand his character. It helps me laugh and maintain some perspective on the mental issues that go with aging among my own family. If you've ever dealt with an agining parent whose mind not only bounces around like a ping-pong ball but has lost the ability to control what gets blurted out, you'd get it.

Witty is enough for me after a day of dealing with people who confuse intelligence with wisdom and logic.

jmeloy
12-05-2007, 08:44 PM
If you've watched this for awhile, what about Rhona Mitra?? She killed me! And how about Denny's inflatable "Shirley Schmitt-ho"??
JAM

OldDog
12-05-2007, 09:39 PM
bl is a great show. mindless entertainment at it's best. anyone here remember mork and mindy, when robin williams first hit the air? a classic comedy program, as is bl.

Viper
12-05-2007, 09:40 PM
If you've watched this for awhile, what about Rhona Mitra?? She killed me! And how about Denny's inflatable "Shirley Schmitt-ho"??
JAM

Rhona Mitra = Campy Bora

She reminds me of a Euro Jennifer Aniston, a good thing atmo