PDA

View Full Version : Rocket 7 Versus D2 Footwear.

musgravecycles
07-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Does anyone here have any experience with either Rocket 7 or D2 Custom shoes? Shoes that fit my feet are a pretty much impossible equation. I've also heard that Lust Racing has a stellar reputation, but they are quite a bit more expensive. I'm just looking for some feedback with R7's or D2's. Thanks

Dekonick
07-29-2004, 10:14 AM
I am in the process of getting 2 pair of D2 shoes. I am impressed with the process thus far.

deechee
07-29-2004, 12:35 PM
had some made, don't wear 'em. All I can say is get the "right" person to do the casting whomever that may be (I'm sure R7 can recommend people.) I made my casts at the end of a day (after about 1.5 hrs of running) and yet I still find them too tight after only 2 hrs of riding. Other than that I found the construction mediocre. There is no real heel cup, so its not a snug - tight fit like in my DMTs, and the straps don't slide smoothly so its never a quick on/off. When they did fit ok, I found them incredibly stiff. It basically felt like I was pedalling with wooden blocks on my feet; it hurt.

I'm wearing a pair of shimano TR-01's right now, barefoot but they're great. I have 4E feet in asics and these Shimanos are great. The funny thing is I also recently got a pair of Shimano's wider version R-151's but the inner sole is the exact same width as my TR-01's. Anyway I'm living with it for now... at least until I get my new CIII and can ride even longer and farther...

my2cents
07-29-2004, 02:17 PM
not widely known secret of the footwear industry - most shoe companies that offer widths on their shoes only do so for the uppers, not the sole units. so a men's 9.5 B (narrow) and 9.5 4e (very wide) share the same mid and out sole (the big cost in sneakers, for example, is the cost of the molds for each different sole unit) Not only that, but sole units are shared across 2-3 lengths as well -- 9/9.5/10 are all on a 9.5 mid/outsole. In athletic shoes (sneakers) this is starting to change a bit as many companies compete with New Balance, who is still the only footwear company in the world of any size to offer its entire line in multiple widths. New Balance's response will be to start offering all of the shoes with multiple width sole units (B & D on a D bottom, 2E & 4E on a 3E bottom, 6E on a 6E bottom). just an fyi.

Kevin
07-29-2004, 08:07 PM
I have had a pair of Rocket 7s for a few months. They are very comfortable and very light. Because I did not want the problems associated with making my own casts, I drove to the nearest authorized rep; which was about 2 hours away. I would certainly buy them again.

Kevin