PDA

View Full Version : Is a fork just a fork? Reynolds ouzo pro Vs Easton Ec90-SL

amator
12-04-2007, 10:53 AM
has anyone actually swopped one out and noticed differences in handling characteristics. Assuming Both have same rake.

The Easton ec90-SL has been decribed as light , stiff and responsive, i find it bordering on twitchy. the Ouzo pro described as stable and having good road absorption but having no experience, Im not sure whether it will make any noticeable differences.

Any personal experience?

bfd
12-04-2007, 11:07 AM
This may not matter to most people here as I suspect many of you ride 700x20/21 size tires, but on the one sample of each I tried, there is one difference between these two forks, the Reynolds Ouzo Pro can fit 25mm wide tires, the Easton SL CANNOT!

RPS
12-04-2007, 11:34 AM
When I borrowed parts from one bike to build another on a temporary basis, I noticed my Reynolds fork (slightly older and much heavier) was stiffer than the Easton SL, making the Reynolds ride less smooth. Handling wise I didn't experience a significant difference so I went with the Easton SL. If I were much heavier I probably would have gone with a heavier fork.

Satellite
12-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Great thread I am looking forward to the answers. I am thinking of change out my Look HSC3 for the Reynolds Ouzo Pro.

The Reynolds was a personal recommendation from the man himself Kent Eriksen (at least for my VaMoots).

Best Regards,

Satellite

amator
12-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Great thread I am looking forward to the answers. I am thinking of change out my Look HSC3 for the Reynolds Ouzo Pro.

The Reynolds was a personal recommendation from the man himself Kent Eriksen (at least for my VaMoots).

Best Regards,

Satellite

Are you looking for a different steering feel (slower, faster)?
i know someone who wanted more responsiveness but went from a look HSC3 to an Alpha Q but he used a different rake(43 to 45 If I recall) so its not a very controlled experiment. He also possibly had binding issues with his record headset which was serviced at the same time. Anyway he got what he wanted and manged to turn his ride into a criterium racer.

amator
12-04-2007, 12:17 PM
This may not matter to most people here as I suspect many of you ride 700x20/21 size tires, but on the one sample of each I tried, there is one difference between these two forks, the Reynolds Ouzo Pro can fit 25mm wide tires, the Easton SL CANNOT!
It takes 700 x23 with v little clearance on top

benb
12-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Yikes.. how many people run a 700x20 or 700x21?

I thought 700x23 was the standard size for racing, etc..

I can't say I'd have much interest in a fork that barely took a 700x23..

Satellite
12-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Are you looking for a different steering feel (slower, faster)?
i know someone who wanted more responsiveness but went from a look HSC3 to an Alpha Q but he used a different rake(43 to 45 If I recall) so its not a very controlled experiment. He also possibly had binding issues with his record headset which was serviced at the same time. Anyway he got what he wanted and manged to turn his ride into a criterium racer.

I am going to slow the steering down a little bit. I currently run a 43 rake and my new fork will be 40. I am also a bit on the heavy side @ 220lbs. so the Reynolds might be the golden ticket. I also ride 23 summer and 25's in the winter months 4 Season Grand Prix's.

Best Regards,

Satellite

amator
12-04-2007, 05:19 PM
anyone know whether the current ouzo pro is any diffrent from last seasons plain one?

RPS
12-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Yikes.. how many people run a 700x20 or 700x21?

I thought 700x23 was the standard size for racing, etc..

I can't say I'd have much interest in a fork that barely took a 700x23..Ben, I ran a 23 on my Calfee and had no problems. I still have pictures of tire clearance and can post one if you want to see how much room there is.

mso
12-04-2007, 05:46 PM
I was considering the Easton SL so this is a great thread, however, I'm looking at a used bike that comes with a Ritchey WCS Carbon Fork. I can't find any reviews on this fork. Does anyone know anything about this one?

swoop
12-04-2007, 05:54 PM
the concept i'd underline is called lateral stiffness. or something like that..