PDA

View Full Version : gift for the ( wife ) or your other ?

Fixed
12-04-2007, 08:44 AM
bro so what are tou cats giving i 'm looking for ideas .. it takes someone very special to live with me for over 20 years... ..
think about it this is who you go through life with what better gift can there be than that... what can you give in return ?
cheers

Kevan
12-04-2007, 09:16 AM
she wants for nothing but for me being out of the house. The common question, "When you going out riding? And for how long?"

I wonder what she does while I'm away?

She is impossible to shop for. She wants nothing. And should there be anything, she is very precise in what she wants, removing any chance for surprise.

Ken Robb
12-04-2007, 09:37 AM
over the years I have givn a lot of jewelry :) . Not always really expensive because diamonds don't ring my chimes enough for the $$ but I love choosing beautiful colored stones and/or antique pieces with workmanship almost impossible to find (or maybe afford) nowadays.

The recipients have always been thrilled receiving them and get lots of compliments when they wear them. Few folks can tell a good diamond from a not-so-good one when its mounted and worn by a person but a killer amethyst of good color and cut is obvious to all. Aquamarine, topaz, opal, garnet, citrine and other quartz can be smashing too. I love emeralds, rubies and saphires too but good ones are pricey and cheap ones are as ugly as a Motiv mountain bike.

If you can find a good stone in your wife's birthstone and mount it in a simple gold setting like a pendant I think you'll get a lot of thrill for the buck and it will become a family heirloom. I have often found my best deals in rock/gem stores as opposed to high-end jewelers. The owners of tese shops are usually ecstatic that I share their appreciation of lovely minerals.

Good shopping. :)

For Leslie's last birthday she got a 1"x3/4" pendant of the nicest tigers eye I've ever seen. She wears a lot of black tops and this piece looks wonderful next to them.

Dave B
12-04-2007, 09:42 AM
My wife wants a Tiffany ring. It is a cheap one (for tiffany) and all the improvements I was making on my bike are now on hold. Makes her happy, that is what matters.

When we were really poor, when we first were married we went to all of the places that were "ours" food places, movies etc. We simply were at those places reminding us of how "we' came to be.

But Bro after 20 years. You get her anything she wants! :D

At least that is what my wife told me to tell you.

Dave

rwsaunders
12-04-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm torn between a Dyson or a new Lincoln arc welder, the gift that keeps on giving. :cool:

Fixed
12-04-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm torn between a Dyson or a new Lincoln arc welder, the gift that keeps on giving. :cool:
my dad had one of these

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/

BURCH
12-04-2007, 10:36 AM
If I am stuck for an idea, I always go with jewelry. Not always diamonds, but something with stones that is not gawdy. My wife dislikes gold so I end up with something platinum, silver, or white gold and usually has some precious stones.

A pretty cheap but beautiful piece that I bought a few years ago was a strand of black pearls and earrings to match. The pearls were culivated from farm raised fresh water oysters so that is why they were cheaper. Even though there were cheaper, they are really cool and my wife likes them for certain situations. In the end, she likes her growing jewelry collection like we like bikes.

The thing about tasteful jewelry is that it will never go out of style or wear out to the point of throwing it out.

Fixed
12-04-2007, 10:37 AM
If I am stuck for an idea, I always go with jewelry. Not always diamonds, but something with stones that is not gawdy. My wife dislikes gold so I end up with something platinum, silver, or white gold and usually has some precious stones.

A pretty cheap but beautiful piece that I bought a few years ago was a strand of black pearls and earrings to match. The pearls were culivated from farm raised fresh water oysters so that is why they were cheaper. Even though there were cheaper, they are really cool and my wife likes them for certain situations. In the end, she likes her growing jewelry collection like we like bikes.

The thing about tasteful jewelry is that it will never go out of style or wear out to the point of throwing it out.
mine likes silver too
thanks cheers

sspielman
12-04-2007, 10:50 AM
over the years I have givn a lot of jewelry :) . Not always really expensive because diamonds don't ring my chimes enough for the $$ but I love choosing beautiful colored stones and/or antique pieces with workmanship almost impossible to find (or maybe afford) nowadays.

The recipients have always been thrilled receiving them and get lots of compliments when they wear them. Few folks can tell a good diamond from a not-so-good one when its mounted and worn by a person but a killer amethyst of good color and cut is obvious to all. Aquamarine, topaz, opal, garnet, citrine and other quartz can be smashing too. I love emeralds, rubies and saphires too but good ones are pricey and cheap ones are as ugly as a Motiv mountain bike.

If you can find a good stone in your wife's birthstone and mount it in a simple gold setting like a pendant I think you'll get a lot of thrill for the buck and it will become a family heirloom. I have often found my best deals in rock/gem stores as opposed to high-end jewelers. The owners of tese shops are usually ecstatic that I share their appreciation of lovely minerals.

Good shopping. :)

For Leslie's last birthday she got a 1"x3/4" pendant of the nicest tigers eye I've ever seen. She wears a lot of black tops and this piece looks wonderful next to them.
+1
My father is a lapidary/gemologist....There is nothing quite like a rare colored stone....Most women love jewelry, and the exclusivity of a nice colored stone scores very highly....a couple of favorites that are realtive bargains in the marketplace right now are Tanzanite and tsavorite....

Ti Designs
12-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Hey, don't forget the other white metal. her birthstone set in a titanium pendant would probably go over pretty well...

zeroking17
12-04-2007, 11:00 AM
bro so what are tou cats giving i 'm looking for ideas .. it takes someone very special to live with me for over 20 years... ..
think about it this is who you go through life with what better gift can there be than that... what can you give in return ?
cheers

I take the money that I would have spent for a gift and instead give it, in her name, to one of the causes that she believes in strongly.

I also tell her early and often how much she means to me and how much I love her.

Fixed
12-04-2007, 11:04 AM
I take the money that I would have spent for a gift and instead give it, in her name, to one of the causes that she believes in strongly.

I also tell her early and often how much she means to me and how much I love her.
nice idea bro
cheers

Len J
12-04-2007, 11:20 AM
nice idea bro
cheers

sit down and write a letter to her telling her not only how you feel about her but the things she is or does that you really appreciate and why. Write down all the things you would want to have told her if you were suddenly killed and didn't get the chance.

Be totally honest and tell her how empty your life would be without her.

Talk about your dreams with her in the future.

Put it aside. Come back to it later and "clean it up"......

when you are happy with it.......write it up on really good paper.......get a frame & you are done.

Trust me.......better than any gift you could buy for her. We men always assume that the people we love know how we feel about them. I do this about once every few years for my wife and each of my kids........the cool thing is, doing it reminds me of how lucky I am to have such lovable people in my life.

Len

SadieKate
12-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Just adding a comment as one of the female gender: as workplace dress code becomes more and more casual, a great deal of jewelry ends up staying home. It seems even fancy dress parties are fewer.

I love Native American jewelry from the land of my birth, but even it is languishing in a box now that I work at home and brought out only for the few trips a year to the sales meetings.

And diamonds leave me cold.

A special fishing or bike trip, a little sweet nothing card when I least expect one, making sure my car tires are the right pressure, doing the research for new snow tires for my car and arranging the installation from 500 miles away, those are the things that count to me.

Editing to add that Len J gets it. Well said. :)

sspielman
12-04-2007, 11:48 AM
sit down and write a letter to her telling her not only how you feel about her but the things she is or does that you really appreciate and why. Write down all the things you would want to have told her if you were suddenly killed and didn't get the chance.

Be totally honest and tell her how empty your life would be without her.

Talk about your dreams with her in the future.

Put it aside. Come back to it later and "clean it up"......

when you are happy with it.......write it up on really good paper.......get a frame & you are done.

Trust me.......better than any gift you could buy for her. We men always assume that the people we love know how we feel about them. I do this about once every few years for my wife and each of my kids........the cool thing is, doing it reminds me of how lucky I am to have such lovable people in my life.

Len

Fabulous idea/advice. If I really made a laundry list like this, though, my wife would be crying for WEEKS....I have to do it in much smaller doses.....

Bruce K
12-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Hidalgo jewelry is my wife's current favorite.

Stackable rings in enamel and metals in various colors and configurations.

They started doing bangles so she is probably going to get some of that this year.

BK

davids
12-04-2007, 01:21 PM
We don't celebrate Christmas, but our anniversary is at the end of the year. Twenty four years, baby. And here's how important gifts are in our relationship:

She called me at work yesterday and said, "Are you thinking of getting me anything for our anniversary?" "Sure!", I said, "Why? Do you have anything in mind?"

"Well, there are these really cool spatulas I saw. One's red! And this book on making ice cream..."

"OK, that's great", I responded, "Tell me all about them tonight..."

"They're already in my Amazon shopping cart."

I laughed.

Plus, she got our daughter an espresso frother that she can use for hot chocolate...

Now I have to figure out what I want.

Seriously, this works for us. But I love Len's idea. That would be almost as meaningful as paying for the spatulas.

Kevan
12-04-2007, 02:02 PM
almost forgot. I try to bring a new Christmas ornament home from the various places I travel during the year. Found a strange little frog in Belgium this year.

Fixed
12-04-2007, 02:04 PM
bro all you cats sound like... like your others are as nice as you imho
i guess cool people make cool pairs cheers
happy holidays

KeithS
12-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Next October it'll be 20 years for us. She buys what she wants whenever she wants all year long, and she is not a good gift reciever. A few years ago I started taking the kids to pick out some "nice" earings. It has become our tradition. The kids (now 7 and 11) get a really big kick out of her wearing the earings they picked out, what makes them happy usually makes her happy. That and a spring break vacation in Florida, it's really nice to get out of the frozen tundra in late winter...

chuckroast
12-04-2007, 07:07 PM
My wife likes jewelry also and it seems you can never go wrong with it. She doesn't seem to wear her collection much though, I think the having it is what is important.

Here's one that's off the wall though. She asked specifically for an Inversion Table this year, one of those contraptions that you strap yourself into and turn upside down. Something about relaxing your back or decompressing, I don't know. Anyway, I bought one and it's darn hard to hide in the house.

Might be a dead giveaway wrapped up under the tree.

KeithS
12-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Chuckroast wrote:
.....Anyway, I bought one and it's darn hard to hide in the house.

I bought a keyboard for my kid this year I photographed the gift put the picture in a frame with directions to hiding spot. Hope it works.

jmewkill
12-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Hey, don't forget the other white metal. her birthstone set in a titanium pendant would probably go over pretty well...

Um, it may be time to actually talk to you.

kerrycycle
12-05-2007, 01:55 AM

Nice shameless plug, Ti.

girlie
12-05-2007, 06:06 AM
cheers

20 years = time
time = love
spend time with her.

znfdl
12-05-2007, 07:19 AM
My wife loved this gift

bostondrunk
12-05-2007, 08:02 AM
First year anniversary in a few days...
Got her a .4 VS1 F round diamond from bluenile to put into a pendant of her choice.
I woulda rather got bike shorts, but she ain't like me... :)
:beer:

J.Greene
12-05-2007, 08:21 AM
20 years = time
time = love
spend time with her.

20 years could be hard time atmo

JG

girlie
12-05-2007, 08:44 AM
20 years could be hard time atmo

JG

what?

Vacation weekend get away = eternal.

Ti Designs
12-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Nice shameless plug, Ti.

Hey, with titanium being "so last decade" in both the bike and golf industry I'm sitting on some damn expensive tooling. I can do carbon inlay - does that help???

Fixed
12-05-2007, 02:18 PM
i wonder what jack's wife gets ?
a new jet ?
cheers

Ti Designs
12-05-2007, 02:20 PM
i wonder what jack's wife gets ?

She gets Jack!!!

Depending on how you read that it could be funny...

Ti Designs
12-05-2007, 02:30 PM
My wife loved this gift

After two failed attempts I still haven't given up on the titanium peapod earings with pearl peas for her, but they're not exactly easy to make...

d_douglas
12-05-2007, 02:45 PM
My wife and I have a habit of buying art for each other. It is tough to do as we are recovering from student loan debt, but in the past we have invested in a beautiful set of weird sculpted mango-like things by a Canadian-Vietnamese guy named Wayne Ngan (Shino - check him out - very famous), a linen mid 20th c. tapestry by a Swedish designer whilst visiting Stockholm this past year, etc., etc., etc.

This year, I wanted to buy a limited series photograph of Fidel Castro taken by Alberto Korda that we both loved, but it was already sold and we found out that an official reprint by the Korda estate might take place next year to the tune of $4000. Ouch. Anyways, we have a year to think about it.

Art is a tough one to choose for another - but if you have mad e a mutual selection, then it is easy providing that your wallet can handle it.

Oh yeah, I also bought her a hot air popcorn popper - classy hey?

Doc Hollywood
12-05-2007, 03:25 PM
I like the idea of the letter, but if you're not "Man" enough to do that, I found that sending her away for "Girls Weekend" with a few of her close friends is a winner.

I paid for my wife and her bridesmaids to go to NYC for a Girls Weekend for my wife's 40th and it was very much appreciated. They took the train from Boston, stayed in a nice hotel (adjoining suites), went to a show, museums, dinner, and such. It was great for her and the girls (who escaped from their hubby's) for a weekend.

I'm thinking of doing it again for her 50th, but instead sending her to San Fran or Paris.

Doc

Fixed
12-05-2007, 03:25 PM
bro you cats are makin me think of a gift as an investment. i had never thought of that
cheers