PDA

View Full Version : What do you see?

William
07-29-2004, 07:30 AM
What do you see?

1.) A proud father? “Son, you did really well today. I’m proud of you! We’ll get them next time.”

2.) A proud father? “Son, you did well today. But you could have done better if you had taken ten more CC’s than you did. Then you really would have flown. We’ll get em next time.”

Doping has been around since Hinault’s days. In the 78 tour on the stage to L’Alp d’ huez, the win was taken from Michel Pollentier for trying to pass someone else’s urine to the anti-doping control. Do you believe that all riders are doping? Was Lemond? He claims to have been clean, which means he’s saying he could beat the dopers of his time. Yet he says Lance couldn’t be beating them without it.
I’m not naïve enough to say that there isn’t doping going on. But, I believe (or at least want to believe) that there are gifted riders left who don’t.

William

caffeine power
07-29-2004, 07:40 AM
How about..."you must have your mother's 'killer' instinct along with your good looks. What a shame."

bostondrunk
07-29-2004, 07:57 AM
shame on you people. Axel is a kick *** rider. So what if he dopes liek the rest of them, its a nice photo of a proud papa. His son is in the top .0000000000001% of all cyclists in the world.

:no:

Dr. Doofus
07-29-2004, 08:02 AM
Mr. William :

What, pray tell, is the point of all this?

Your Humble servant,

Dr. D. Doofus, Esq.

Climb01742
07-29-2004, 08:16 AM
i doubt any of us would want to be in axel's shoes. the burden of being eddy's son...no thanks. he seems like a nice guy. to carry on riding professionally, always being told you're not measuring up to your dad, must be tough as hell...yet he does it with, from what i can tell, grace. let's not pick on him. very tour he tries damn hard, harder i think than a lot of others.

bostondrunk
07-29-2004, 08:20 AM
I very highly doubt he has to listen to people say "You're not living up to your dad". It was known a long time ago that he wasn't in the same class. Big deal, he is still a top pro making big money with a sweet North American wife to boot (not literally, hahahahaha).
I'm guessing Axel is quite happy and relaxed. He rode great in this years tour, and may be getting a spot with Lances new team next year.

Andreu
07-29-2004, 08:27 AM
I agree with the inebriated fellow from Boston. I think the chances of having two "best cyclists ever" in the same family are slim to zero....and Axel must have realised this from an early age. I doubt whether he loses any sleep over it given he is a bit of a class act himself.
A :beer:

Climb01742
07-29-2004, 08:42 AM
i hope you guys are right. but i work with a guy who's dad is hugely successful in the same business we're in...and i know that the comparison drives him every day. luckily for us and him, his energies are a positive drive. i'm not saying axel loses sleep over it, or is tormented by it...just saying following in a very successful parent's footsteps can't be easy. i think axel handles it well. to see the opposite...see christian brando, j. paul getty 3rd, lisa minelli, among a sad million others.

weisan
07-29-2004, 10:16 AM
I remember reading somewhere that Eddy made a comment about how his son trained so much harder than he did back in the days. I say there's a healthy dose of mutual respect between the two.

Tom
07-29-2004, 10:21 AM
He looks like a pretty proud papa to me.

Kevin
07-29-2004, 08:13 PM
I'm with Tom. I say that he is a proud Papa. He has the same look that I do when I look at my kids.

Kevin

Roy E. Munson
07-29-2004, 08:16 PM
What do I see?

Axel and Eddy Merckx, am I missing something?

csb
07-29-2004, 08:38 PM
the bike, what about the bike?!

William
07-30-2004, 08:25 AM
the bike, what about the bike?

LOL.

Not a dig on Eddy or Axel at all. Just pointing out that I believe that there are still riders competing in the upper ranks who don't dope. Eddy knows the ins and outs of cycling and is intimately involved in pro cycling and with his son's career. I see a father who is very proud of his son and his accomplishments. I think he would recognize and likely not put up with it if his son were. Maybe pie-in-the-sky thinking but I don't like to use the broad doping brush that some others do.

As far as Lemond. I just find it interesting that he can claim that he was a clean rider beating the dopers of his time, but yet that couldn't possibly be the case with Armstrong.

William

bostondrunk
07-30-2004, 08:35 AM
Just pointing out that I believe that there are still riders competing in the upper ranks who don't dope. William

Well, some people just don't see the light. Yeah, Axel is clean...........baaahahahhahaha

That said, everyone is entitled to their opinion!
Yes, Eddy knows about the sport, and thats probably why he -would- accept that his son might dope.

Andreu
07-30-2004, 08:49 AM
....what you can get from a photo of two blokes and a bike.
Is it one of those special photos that you have to look at by squinting with your nose 8 inches away from the screen?
A
:beer:

caffeine power
07-31-2004, 05:36 PM
....what you can get from a photo of two blokes and a bike.
Is it one of those special photos that you have to look at by squinting with your nose 8 inches away from the screen?
A
:beer:

And with a pair of 3-D glasses :cool: