PDA

View Full Version : Commuter tire lifespan/recommendations

SC Will
12-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Hi everyone

It has been a while since I posted but all is well - trying to keep up with three young kids

I commute to work everyday

I currently run a 26 x 1.5 Continental City Contact tire

This has been in use for about two years

Recently I have had a spate of flats (none in the first 18 months, 3-4 in the last 3 months)

How often do folks typically recommend changing commuter tires? Do I need to change mine or is this just bad luck?

Any input or recommendations on replacement tire/tubes is appreciated!

Thanks

Will

Too Tall
12-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Sounds like the rubber is getting thin. Suggest you do some preventive maint. Pull the tyre off, inspect everything...maybe time to replace the rim strip and check / assess the rubber. If it feels thin..it is!

dwightskin
12-03-2007, 09:38 AM
I get about 3,000 miles out of Panaracer Pasela TourGuards, 700x32. Those are excellent tires.

You are probably ready for new rubber.

In the 26" size, it seems like Schwalbe makes some nice commuter tires. The Pasela's are sometimes available in 26", too.

But if you are getting flats, you should really assess why before doing something else. Is the flat coming from the sidewall? From a road debris (glass or something)? Pinch flat? Rim tape?

You'd hate to get new tires and find out the problem was something else.

It reminds me of the time I was doing a short tour on my tandem. I kept getting a flat and couldn't figure it out. No debris on the tire, no puncture on the rubber, rim strip looked good. Well, what I couldn't see was damage in the sidewall that was only visible when the tire was inflated. And the inflated tire was hiding behind the pannier on my bike -- finally after the 3rd flat I noticed . . .

Dwight

Fixed
12-03-2007, 09:44 AM
specilzed tires slicks 1 1/4" 100 psi max or ritchey speedmax tires 85 psi max
cheers my work bike is a fixed gear mt bike

fiamme red
12-03-2007, 09:53 AM
If your commute is short and ride quality isn't very important, I'd recommend one of Specialized "Armadillo" tires. Put them on and no more worries about flats. They are heavy and do ride a little harsh.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqSection.jsp?sid=EquipTires26_Flat

SC Will
12-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the replies!

To answer dwightskin - the flats are from road debris - once it was a tack, once it was a nail and this last time a piece of glass - all the rear tire

Hard to tell how much tread is gone - they are slicks

Thanks for the recommendations I will check them out

Anyone run the slime tubes on their commute?

THanks

fiamme red
12-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the replies!

To answer dwightskin - the flats are from road debris - once it was a tack, once it was a nail and this last time a piece of glass - all the rear tire

Thanks for the recommendations I will check them out

Anyone run the slime tubes on their commute?

THanksSlime tubes are very heavy: it says 310 g here (http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11981-345_SLIRT3-3-Parts-74-Tubes/Accessories/Slime-Self-Healing-Tube.htm).

You're better off with Armadillos. They'll keep the flats from happening in the first place.

Grant McLean
12-03-2007, 10:12 AM
I get about 3,000 miles out of Panaracer Pasela TourGuards, 700x32. Those are excellent tires.

+1 on the pasela

they come in just about every size 700 or 26" 1.25 1.5 1.75 take your pick

-g

fiamme red
12-03-2007, 10:16 AM
+1 on the pasela

they come in just about every size 700 or 26" 1.25 1.5 1.75 take your pick

-gI also recommend Pasela TG's, but they are not as flat-proof as the Armadillos. They do ride much nicer, though.

Fixed
12-03-2007, 10:19 AM
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TI407B04-Panaracer+Pasela+Tire.aspx
bro i'm goin to pick up a pair of these thanks you cool cats
cheers

staggerwing
12-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Been running these (http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='1766-25') , which, as noted, are basically a slightly lighter weight, blackwall, tourguard. The 700c X 28, measures pretty darn close to 25mm, when inflated to 100 psi.

I've had 1 flat with these, a roofing nail to the sidewall, within 2mm of the rim. Hardly the tires fault.

palincss
12-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the replies!

I agree you should remove the tire and assess it. You can get a sense of how thick the tread area is by pinching it with your fingers, one inside and one outside the tire. If the tread area is thinner than the sidewall area I'd replace the tire, rotating the tire from the front to the back, putting the new tire on the front.

SC Will
12-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the replies and thanks for the link Fixxed

I will check on the tread thickness when I get home

What can I expect out of a pair of tires in terms of mileage?

I am estimating somewhere between 5000 - 6000 on this pair

I am planning to replace now - but should I have done it sooner? Maybe once a year (about 3000 miles)?

dwightskin
12-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Your Mileage May Vary, but 5000 miles is excellent.

Often having that high of mileage is at the expense of ride quality. Some of these other tires suggested (panaracer, specialized fat boy) will have better ride quality but won't have near that longevity.

You have to choose what's important.

The "city" type tires from Conti seem to be long-wearing with OK ride. The armidillo tires from Specialized are also long wearing but really bad ride.

Dwight