PDA

View Full Version : Dollar trick works!

Volant
12-02-2007, 01:45 PM
I was mid-way through my mtb loop, 8 miles out, and got a rip in my rear sidewall about 1" long. I had a spare tube, but not a spare tire. I pulled out a GW, folded it in half, used it as a tire patch, inserted the tube, reinstalled and got back on my way. I didn't ride as hard the 8 miles back in, but I didn't baby it either as it's pretty technical with some big descents.
When I got home, the side exposed to the outside - which rode through mud, etc. had a slight tear through it, the second level (folded over part, was still intact) - the tube wasn't bulging out either. Amazing! Here's a pic of the actual bill.
I had heard about this trick before, but never got the chance to try it. It works! :banana:

BTW, I tried installing just a tube before using the dollar, but it bulged through the opening in the tire and would've blown.

rwl
12-02-2007, 02:00 PM
:) the only way in which the dollar is strong

A.L.Breguet
12-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Yes, this is a tried and true ride saver.
Twenties work even better, though.

rwsaunders
12-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Frame that puppy.

swoop
12-02-2007, 03:06 PM
um... this isn't criticism or meant to condescend... but rollers don't use singles. you never use your own cash.. you borrow someone else's that's on the ride and it has to be at least a twenty.

ballers and huck finsters only.

Steve Hampsten
12-02-2007, 03:31 PM
um... this isn't criticism or meant to condescend... but rollers don't use singles. you never use your own cash.. you borrow someone else's that's on the ride and it has to be at least a twenty.

tough crowd here

swoop
12-02-2007, 03:34 PM
tough crowd here

hey man... i totally sliced my tire and need to boot it.. you wouldn't happen to have a twenty spot would you? i''ve only got a credit card and a hundred dollar bill...and you know.. i did give you c02 last time... er... or i would have if you needed it.

Ginger
12-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Ah, add that to the 257.5 reasons to ride alone.

Avispa
12-02-2007, 06:24 PM

Ah, swoop, if I ever ride with you... You'll be walking home bud! I ain't gonna let you have a 20.... Unless you take Mexican Pesos? :D :D

Yeah, that Dallah trick is a saver! I rode half way home a few months ago on a $5 bill. When I got home, I bough a good beer with it to celebrate!

Cheers!
..A..

barry1021
12-02-2007, 06:37 PM
I was mid-way through my mtb loop, 8 miles out, and got a rip in my rear sidewall about 1" long. I had a spare tube, but not a spare tire. I pulled out a GW, folded it in half, used it as a tire patch, inserted the tube, reinstalled and got back on my way. I didn't ride as hard the 8 miles back in, but I didn't baby it either as it's pretty technical with some big descents.
When I got home, the side exposed to the outside - which rode through mud, etc. had a slight tear through it, the second level (folded over part, was still intact) - the tube wasn't bulging out either. Amazing! Here's a pic of the actual bill.
I had heard about this trick before, but never got the chance to try it. It works! :banana:

BTW, I tried installing just a tube before using the dollar, but it bulged through the opening in the tire and would've blown.

if you have four quarters?? :cool:

Bud_E
12-02-2007, 06:41 PM
How much can you sell that dollar for on Ebay ?

dvs cycles
12-02-2007, 07:17 PM

Benjamin Franklins are the absolute best to use. Even better when they aren't yours/ :D

CNY rider
12-02-2007, 07:33 PM

big bucks if you tell people that the rip is actually a miniature picture of baby jesus.

Fixed
12-03-2007, 07:37 AM
do iou's work ?
cheers

William
12-03-2007, 07:47 AM
If anyone asks me for a Bill to patch a hole....I give them a PowerBar wrapper instead. Works just as well...costs me nothing, and I would have thrown it in the trash anyway.

Cheapskate William :D

Ahneida Ride
12-03-2007, 10:40 AM
glad to see frns are worth something .....

Perhaps the promise that used to be stated on notes "that this note
is redeamable on demand in silver or gold" shoud be reformulated.

This frn will replace a bike flat at any time upon demand.

Fixed
12-03-2007, 10:51 AM
a samll piece of rim strip works too carry it in tire bag
cheers imho

SponsorsWanted
12-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Dude, where was your duct tape? 6ft around a pencil should be in every mt. biker's gear.

BURCH
12-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Out of laziness, I once left a dollar bill in as a patch like that for several rides and it held up fine.

fiamme red
12-03-2007, 01:07 PM
I always use a Clif bar wrapper.

Steelhead
12-03-2007, 01:28 PM
If anyone asks me for a Bill to patch a hole....I give them a PowerBar wrapper instead. Works just as well...costs me nothing, and I would have thrown it in the trash anyway.

Cheapskate William :D

empty Gu packet works very well, and the left over Gu smeared on the outside helps it stay in place. :)

Volant
12-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Dude, where was your duct tape? 6ft around a pencil should be in every mt. biker's gear.

I donated my roll to Instructables for their 'duct tape tandem' project.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Duck-tape-two-person-bicycle/

george
12-05-2007, 10:37 AM

...if you look very very close you can see Marco Pantini's profile... it could fetch thousands of dollars... :D