PDA

View Full Version : Posting an Image

mike p
12-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Hi, I'm having a real problem posting an image on the image gallery forum. I have posted images before but the directions on this forum are extremely confusing. I went to FAQ and this is what I found:

"To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Browse] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive."

The problem is I cannot find a [Browse] button anywhere on the composition page. I did see a "manage attachments" button at the bottom. I clicked onto that and a window popped up that allowed me to upload the image. However, where the image was uploaded to I haven't got a clue. It certainly didn't appear on the composition page. I clicked preview post too thinking that maybe it woulde appear then. It didn't. The image size is well within boundaries - 146.1 kb, 274x182 pixels. Someone - help! Please!

Laurie

dirtdigger88
12-02-2007, 01:08 PM
I dont think images that are uploaded to the site show up when you preview the post-

sounds like you are doing things right-

just post and see what happens

Jason

mosca
12-02-2007, 01:36 PM
+1, just give it a try. If you want to see a list of all the attachments you've uploaded, click on "attachments" in your User Control Panel.

And I'm not sure of the maximum file size these days, is it 200kb now?

Ray
12-02-2007, 03:36 PM
+1, just give it a try. If you want to see a list of all the attachments you've uploaded, click on "attachments" in your User Control Panel.

And I'm not sure of the maximum file size these days, is it 200kb now?
I've been wondering about the file size. I've tried downloading stuff in the not too distant past and was still told that my fairly small shots were too large. But I'd see other posts with HUGE pics embedded. How'd dey do dat?

-Ray

mosca
12-02-2007, 03:56 PM
I've been wondering about the file size. I've tried downloading stuff in the not too distant past and was still told that my fairly small shots were too large. But I'd see other posts with HUGE pics embedded. How'd dey do dat?

-RayImages that are uploaded to the forum server are limited in size. The larger images are hosted elsewhere and linked from there, I believe.

I thought the file size limit here was about 140kb until recently. Did they raise the limit?

Ray
12-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Images that are uploaded to the forum server are limited in size. The larger images are hosted elsewhere and linked from there, I believe.

I thought the file size limit here was about 140kb until recently. Did they raise the limit?
Just tried it - 146.5 kb limit. OK, so how do you link? I've included URLs that take you to another site to view the photos, but not had the photos show up in the post. Any advice appreciated.

-Ray

mike p
12-02-2007, 04:09 PM
When I first tried to upload an image, it said it was too big at 200 kb. Their image size limit is 146.5 kb. I resized my image in photoshop but the size that photoshop gives for the image does not coincide with the size that the forum gives it. My picture is up but it's not as big as I would like it to be. Can anyone give the numbers they use for height x width in pixels and what resolution? Thanks for the help so far. I appreciate it.

Laurie

e-RICHIE
12-02-2007, 04:20 PM
When I first tried to upload an image, it said it was too big <cut>
no image is too big atmo, trust me.

mosca
12-02-2007, 04:30 PM
When I first tried to upload an image, it said it was too big at 200 kb. Their image size limit is 146.5 kb. I resized my image in photoshop but the size that photoshop gives for the image does not coincide with the size that the forum gives it. My picture is up but it's not as big as I would like it to be. Can anyone give the numbers they use for height x width in pixels and what resolution? Thanks for the help so far. I appreciate it.

Laurie I think there's a maximum pixel dimension of 800 x 800, if I'm not mistaken. If you have a newer version of Photoshop, there should be a command under the File menu, "save for web", or something like that. It will open the image in a new window. There is a quality setting for jpeg images in the upper right. Lower the quality level until the file size reading in the lower left of the window drops below the maximum size. That's what works for me anyway, ymmv.

thwart
12-02-2007, 04:38 PM
You got it. Using either Photoshop or Photoshop Elements:

Image>Resize>800 pixels maximum dimension... then...

File>Save for web>adjust to ~145 KB image size (no larger than 146)

Voila' :banana:

Serotta is more than kind to host those images!

CNY rider
12-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Just tried it - 146.5 kb limit. OK, so how do you link? I've included URLs that take you to another site to view the photos, but not had the photos show up in the post. Any advice appreciated.

-Ray

Ray, open a free account at Photobucket.
Then upload your shots to Photobucket at full size and resolution.
Once you've done that you just cut and past the "image" tag from the photobucket website and put it where you want the picture to appear.

The board software then puts the image in, but it's not being stored on the Serotta server so size is not an issue.

I'm sure someone can do a better job explaining how or why this works, but that's the gist of it.

DarrenCT
12-02-2007, 09:35 PM
no image is too big atmo, trust me.

in the classified section there is a limit

in this section, there is no limit

(i think)

cmg
12-03-2007, 02:15 PM
too bad the my office server blocks photobucket, image shack and most photo posting sites........