PDA

View Full Version : Legend - Compact vs traditional?

bostondrunk
07-28-2004, 08:55 AM
Well, the drunkman has saved and saved and is now toying with the idea of getting a new Legend to add to the bike collection...
Have any of you noticed any difference in torsional stiffness between the compact and traditional geometries?

zap
07-28-2004, 09:09 AM
IMHO, based on my tests, the Legend is stiff enough in standard config. Compact geometry might be appealing if you like to have a taller front end and still have reasonable standover.

Personally, I've found that I prefer to have a solid perch for my saddle and like my seatpost to be as stiff as possible.

My biggest concern is what type of rear. Carbon or Ti. My first test of the pivoting carbon stay was not favorable as there is to much rebound. Serotta needs to weld the seatstay lug to the rear dropout.

Test all options before you make a final decision.

victoryfactory
07-28-2004, 09:51 AM
I have ridden both styles and I cant tell the difference, especially while
riding. There are other things that effect stiffness much more than a sloping
TT, especially considering you can get a very mild slope from a custom builder like Serotta
IMO, the real legitamate reason for a sloping TT is, as Zap sez, if you need
more standover room while keeping the front end height, I did, and I'm
very satisfied with the 5 degreen TT slope on my legend.

As far as stiffness, tube selection, geometry and frame size have more effect.

VF

victoryfactory
07-28-2004, 12:38 PM
Zap;
you said: "Serotta needs to weld the seatstay lug to the rear dropout"
I thought the pivot was the point of the Legend ST design.

They already do that (non pivot attachment) on the carbon stay Concours CS
I had one before the Legend and I found it too stiff. Rather than change the
5 degree sloping TT, I (With the help of Kelly at Serotta) had the Legend
built with the Traditional Ti seatstays, longer chainstays slightly longer TT
and trail adjusted for a much more stable, smooth ride.
Before you say "yeah, but that's a legend, I think both models already use the same
tubing for the rear triangle, and i suspect (but don't know for sure) that when
you order (as I did) an OS downtube on either model, you get the same tube! So that leaves those two bikes very similar from a tubing standpoint.
except the TT which is swaged on the Legend.

VF

Climb01742
07-28-2004, 01:28 PM
being superficial, i just like how sloping frames look. they "feel" quicker to me, but i'm completely willing to admit that that is a product of my over-active imagination.

Roy E. Munson
07-28-2004, 01:36 PM
being superficial, i just like how sloping frames look. they "feel" quicker to me, but i'm completely willing to admit that that is a product of my over-active imagination.

Nothing better than hearing someone tell it exactly as they feel, no bs or bike industry lingo!

zap
07-28-2004, 01:47 PM
I'm starting to feel like Sandy today. Keeping the phone lines free this afternoon so that I can negotiate with my MB guy on that mirror price...

VF, your correct that the pivot is part of the Legend ST design. Didn't know that Serotta's Concours had a solid ST design. It would be interesting to compare that with a complete Ti rear end.

IMO, AL bikes benefit from carbon stays. Helps take the edge of a bit. I wonder if that matters on a Ti frame.

But, as you point out, with so many options, you can tune the frame to your preference. One needs to establish a real cozy relationship with a Serotta dealer to get that ride and fit just right.

One of these days I just might make Smiley, well :)

va rider
07-28-2004, 01:56 PM
bd -

what size frame are you talking about and how much tt slope?

IMHO, I do not believe with a smaller frame size you would increase the torsional stiffness significantly with the compact geo. On bigger, frames, well that would be an entirely different story.

I typically ride a 59cm frame and just got a 57cm CIII with a 4 deg tt slope. Is it stiffer than the 59cm frames I was had and test rode? I couldn't really tell a difference. Now, I also test rode a 56 cm Fierte with a 50cm seat tube. Now, I could feel the the frame was stiffer. I ended up going with the 57cm frame as a middle of the road approach.

I was buying steel, so comparing the Fierte worked well. I am not sure the comparison would hold true with ti.

Why not call Kelly B. and asked him?

coylifut
07-28-2004, 01:57 PM
I have a compact. Considering non of the other variables were held constant, it's too hard to tell if the difference is the geometry or something else. I absolutely love it and would have another one built is short order. Also, it clamps into my repair stand quite nicely.

Ozz
07-28-2004, 03:22 PM
If so, did you like it or not like it?

That might be a good place to start...sober up and go for a ride! ;)

FWIW - I like the standard geometry...at least aesthetically. I have never ridden a compact frame so I cannot comment on how it might ride.

Dr. Doofus
07-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Dear Most Repected Drunk:

The estimable Mr. Kirk has made some remarks on this forum regarding compact designs, and if your correspondent recalls correctly, Mr. Kirk offered that they are niether significantly lighter, nor stiffer, than traditional designs. The compact design is, however, most fashionable and will make you more welcome in polite circles.

If you must purchase something of the compact order, please show more regard for yourself, as we most certainly do, and procure a fillet-brazed CSi from Mr. Bedford. You are ceratinly a man whose prospects are so great as to merit a reward more fitting than that of TIG-welds.

Your humble servant,

Dr. D. Doofus, Esq.

gwk
07-28-2004, 04:39 PM
Hey Doof,

Your character seems to be morphing! :D

csb
07-28-2004, 04:52 PM
super compact is the way to go,
seeing as lance calls them girls bikes
i can think of no stronger reason to own one.

my spectrum rides wonderfully, a long ti post adds
a bit of suspension and the small size feels stiff
and light when climbing, its all feel, nothing scientific.
what TK has to say over at the spectrum site is
informative.

id say the bike disappears under me but richie would
just tell me to get a kryptonite.

dgauthier
07-28-2004, 05:56 PM

According to Tom Kellogg at Spectrum, you're not imagining things:

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/616.htm

A quicker "feel" is the main benefit of going compact, probably because of the lower center of gravity on the bike itself.

Climb01742
07-28-2004, 06:08 PM
it's nice to know that someone as bike-smart as tom confirms what someone as bike-doofusy as me feels.