PDA

View Full Version : amateur wrench botches ergo service...help!

dookie
12-01-2007, 12:32 PM
actually a former professional wrench, way back in the day...pre-ergo, if you can imagine! i do all the wrenching on my stable and like to think i've got the necessary mechanical aptitude and 'feel' to take this on.

so, i've got my exploded diagram direct from the campy spare parts (http://campagnolo.com/techinfo.php?did=c) site, an excellent how-to writeup from here, (http://www.nuttycyclist.co.uk/cycling/ergo-rebuild.htm) a slightly crunchy right-side shifter, and the belief that it ain't no thang...

came apart OK, cleaned, lightly greased, reassembled OK...i thought. results: downshifts are much firmer than they were previously, and upshifts cannot be done one at a time (jumps several cogs at once). perfect!

what did i do wrong? any/all advice appreciated...

BumbleBeeDave
12-01-2007, 11:13 PM
what did i do wrong?...

. . . bought Campy? :rolleyes:

(Good think I'm wearing my flameproof suit right now . . . :eek: )

BBD

R2D2
12-02-2007, 04:31 AM
Sounds like the G-spring isn't seated properly.

J.Greene
12-02-2007, 05:48 AM

Dave
12-02-2007, 08:39 AM
You didn't replace any parts? If the levers have very many miles on them, G-springs would be wise at the minimum, but with very old shifters, you may need a new index gear. I'd say take the thing apart and inspect the index gear and G-springs.

I looked at the instructions that you downloaded and found some of the typical omissions that lead to problems. One involves the very last step of installing the coil spring. I've never seen amyone explain this properly and these instructions are no exception. Here's what was stated:

"I replaced the main spring, and using another screwdriver against the small one temporarily holding the parts together, wound the centre nut around until the correct tension was met. That was the point at which I pressed the centre unit down to engage on the axle, so holding the springs correctly in place."

This instruction is totally inadequate. What is the "correct tension"? Take a look at the disassembly picture, where the cover plate over this spring was removed. Note the position of the inner "tail" of the spring, in the slot toward the bottom. The aluminum center portion should be engaged with the main index shaft first. I then install the center retainining bolt finger tight, to keep center piece piece engaged with the main index shaft. The shifter should be in the large cog position when the coil spring is installed, to produce the minimum tension and spring windup. This is done by rotating the ergo lever body CCW. In this position, hook the tail into the lower slot and swing the hooked end over to the post. This winds the spring up a fraction of a turn - the correct amount. I use a home made hook tool to aid in placing the spring over the post. I ground a small notch into the side of a small straight bladescrewdriver to make this tool.

Another omission is the fact that most newer levers must have the brake lever removed first, or you can't insert the 5mm hex wrench into the end of the main index shaft to start the overhaul process. The hex wrench should also be ground to a small diameter in the area where it contact the ergo leve body, or you're likely to put dings in the body from contact with the hex wrench.

If you want my complete instructions, send me an e-mail. In my instructions are links to videos of the process, posted by others.