PDA

View Full Version : It's nothing but a G thing baby....

handsomerob
11-30-2007, 10:36 PM
I have a buddy that I ride with on occasion and word has spread about my affinity for older bits that no one wants anymore. He told me about some bits that he took off his old Merckx that were "thrashed". I told him that I didn't care and I might be able to find some use for them. So, he hooked me up with an 8 speed Chorus FD, RD, and set of shifters. The FD needed nothing. I took the cage off the RD and cleaned the bearings and pulleys put it back together and spun those beautiful pulleys with plenty of teeth and no drag at all. Then came the shifters. As usual, the left one is no problemo, but aaahh the right one... the thrashed one. I put a cable in it and was able to shift it both ways, but as soon as I put a good deal of tension on the cable it slipped out of gear.

Tonight I decided to take it apart and see what's what..... and it turns out it's nothing but a G thing, baby. Guess I will be out about $10 for a couple fresh G springs. :banana:

I love Campy.

Steve Hampsten
11-30-2007, 11:23 PM
ah, 8-speed Campy:

Edsel of the cycling world

i salute you

steelrider
12-01-2007, 01:45 AM
Strong work bro. Keep it going full speed and off the junk pile. Reuse, renew, recycle. Try that with ShimaNO.

Too Tall
12-01-2007, 04:00 AM
THAT's what I'm talking about. :)

soulspinner
12-01-2007, 08:16 AM
ah, 8-speed Campy:

i salute you

I cant kill mine. Dads taking the bike which opens up a 10 speed replacement :p Those old record brakes wont stop my skinny a@@ so I better get him a real brakeset....

handsomerob
12-01-2007, 10:46 AM
ah, 8-speed Campy:

i salute you

Truth be told... as far as shifters go, I VERY much prefer the more positive indexing/wratchet feel of 8 speed Record over 10 speed Record, not to mention 8 gear spacing in the rear seems to be a lot less finicky ATMO.

handsomerob
12-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Strong work bro. Keep it going full speed and off the junk pile. Reuse, renew, recycle. Try that with ShimaNO.

Actually, I have.

I came upon a similar situation with a right Dura Ace 9 speed shifter. I took it apart just to see what's what. Before I knew it I had 15-20 ball bearings the size of a gnat's a$$ rolling all over the place. :crap: Everything that would/could need fixin' is sealed, so worn out ShimaNO is just cannon fodder. :no:

As far as bicycle parts go, most people probably have no idea how well almost any decent part will clean up with a little bit of WD-40 and Q-Tips. I can't tell you how many parts I have received from riders that were just real dirty or gunked up with old grease where I spent a little bit of time on them and they look as good as new. :banana:

Big Dan
12-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Well, I have a bunch of Shimano STI's all with over 20K on them and never had a problem.

Keep drinking your Kool Aid.....

handsomerob
12-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Well, I have a bunch of Shimano STI's all with over 20K on them and never had a problem.

Keep drinking your Kool Aid.....

Yeah, well.... good luck rebuilding them. :p

BTW... I happen to like the Kool Aid. :banana:

p.s. you got me wondering Dan. You have inspired a poll...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=36713

William
12-01-2007, 11:35 AM

Check out the poll bro. :)

William

Big Dan
12-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Yeah, well.... good luck rebuilding them. :p

BTW... I happen to like the Kool Aid. :banana:

p.s. you got me wondering Dan. You have inspired a poll...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=36713

And why the fock would I have to rebuild them?
btw I dumped all my Campagnolo 8 junk looong time ago.
You really don't get it , do you?

Pete Serotta
12-01-2007, 11:50 AM
We all get it is different ways......Campy, Shimano, etc....all for a smile.

My sweat and gatorade ruin stuff long before my miles do,,JUST ASK SPOKES

handsomerob
12-01-2007, 12:08 PM
And why the fock would I have to rebuild them?
btw I dumped all my Campagnolo 8 junk looong time ago.
You really don't get it , do you?

did you notice the little " :p " after my post? It was meant to indicate a joke. If you have bits that are still working great after 20000 miles then you have got your cost per mile down to about a penny. That is a great testament to their durability. How can (or why would) I argue with that?

Why do you think the Campy 8 speed group is junk?

As far as not getting it, what is more to "get" than some people like Shimano and some people like Campy? We all have different reasons for each. One reason I like Campy is that I am not much of a mechanic, but I can take apart an old "thrashed" shifter and replace a couple springs and have a part that will work again. It isn't much different from guys that like to tinker with cars. One guy might prefer a '68 Camaro to a Toyota Prius, only because he feels better about being able to service it himself. That doesn't make one better than the other and it doesn't make him an idiot for feeling either way.

steelrider
12-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Stated like a gentleman and a scholar.