PDA

View Full Version : Gaudy, hideous &%*$# wheel decals!

BumbleBeeDave
11-30-2007, 12:35 PM
The Edge wheel thread got me thinking . . .

Why do so many bike manufacturers, particularly wheel makers, think that we are paying them big huge bucks for the privilege of being rolling billboards for them? Those decals on the Edge rims are some of the worst I've seen. Yuck! Watching those things ride by you on the street must be like participating in a hypnotism experiment.

Other nominees for the "Gaudiest Logo On A Cycling Product" award? . . .

Oh, well, I guess at least we cyclists can peel them off--unlike with those awful Tommy Hilfiger clothes that have his name woven into everything!

BBD

fiamme red
11-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Other nominees for the "Gaudiest Logo On A Cycling Product" award? . . . http://www.496elan.net/itaria/cinelli2005/img/wysiwyg.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
11-30-2007, 12:39 PM
http://www.496elan.net/itaria/cinelli2005/img/wysiwyg.jpg

. . . is unfortunately what you get!

BBD

whammo45
11-30-2007, 12:42 PM
http://www.496elan.net/itaria/cinelli2005/img/wysiwyg.jpg

Frame looks like a ZEBRA ;)

BumbleBeeDave
11-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Frame looks like a ZEBRA ;)

No stripes--and trust me, I'm an expert on this! :rolleyes: ;)

BBD

bnewt07
11-30-2007, 12:44 PM
My old Colnago CT2 was thankfully in a restrained colour scheme but I remember counting number of 'Colnago' label decals; a total of sixteen in various places on tubes forks headset etc. Enough!

I suspect they were written inside the tubes as well...

davids
11-30-2007, 12:49 PM
The Edge wheel thread got me thinking . . .

Why do so many bike manufacturers, particularly wheel makers, think that we are paying them big huge bucks for the privilege of being rolling billboards for them? Those decals on the Edge rims are some of the worst I've seen. Yuck! Watching those things ride by you on the street must be like participating in a hypnotism experiment.

Other nominees for the "Gaudiest Logo On A Cycling Product" award? . . .

Oh, well, I guess at least we cyclists can peel them off--unlike with those awful Tommy Hilfiger clothes that have his name woven into everything!

BBD
Irony alert: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=418861&postcount=341

RudAwkning
11-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Chris King headsets take the cake IMHO.

"I'll take a white headset with gold accenting".

sg8357
11-30-2007, 01:14 PM
When the logos are that big I figure I should get an endorsement check.

saab2000
11-30-2007, 01:25 PM
The melting De Rosa and the current Specialized/Roval wheels are the ugliest cycling products I know of.

Oh, almost forgot, the Seven carbon frameset is not a real looker either.

DarrenCT
11-30-2007, 01:38 PM
seatposts are the same.

why cant we get a carbon post with NO decals

the campy seatpost is pretty good imho tho...

djg
11-30-2007, 01:40 PM
My old Colnago CT2 was thankfully in a restrained colour scheme but I remember counting number of 'Colnago' label decals; a total of sixteen in various places on tubes forks headset etc. Enough!

Lots of labels but only one decal as far as I know -- apart from the Colnago "flower" on the head tube, I think the standard for the CT1 and CT2 was to paint the "Colnago" name and decorations in the various (many) places on the frames.

BumbleBeeDave
11-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Irony alert: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=418861&postcount=341

. . . send me checks regularly! ;)

BBD

SWorks4me
11-30-2007, 01:59 PM
over the years...dare I say traditionally, racing products across all facets have always had some flash put into them...
flash sells (to most) and I do not consider a lot of the forumites here "most". From posts of your bikes, and discussions of dislikes...the majority of you like understated looks when it comes to your equipment.

Racers on the other hand want flash...whether you agree that it looks fast or not...racers buy because THEY think products look fast, or they think they feel faster because of them.

I am sure SWOOP can add more if he choses about the psyche of racers...

personally i like my bikes to be a bit more subdued, but my kits have always had some flash.

ATMO!

swoop
11-30-2007, 02:01 PM
rapha.

Fixed
11-30-2007, 02:02 PM
it all in your mindset

i don't mind if i like the co. but when they suck and they have a giant logo what gives ...?... i'm bad and proud of it
cheers imho :beer:

Simon Q
11-30-2007, 02:30 PM
seatposts are the same.

PMP seatposts have no decals. That's one of the reasons I have one.

I also peel all or most of the decals off my wheels.

davids
11-30-2007, 02:34 PM
PMP seatposts have no decals. That's one of the reasons I have one.

I also peel all or most of the decals off my wheels.
Click on the "three" down in the corner --->

p.s. I've always liked the CK headset graphics. Maybe because the design is so nice and they're small? Go figure...

rwsaunders
11-30-2007, 02:50 PM
You're just mad that the decals compete with your Daktari kits.

BumbleBeeDave
11-30-2007, 03:06 PM
You're just mad that the decals compete with your Daktari kits.

I'd forgotten all about these! Where's my checkbook! . . . :banana:

BBD

sevencyclist
11-30-2007, 03:21 PM
it all in your mindset

i don't mind if i like the co. but when they suck and they have a giant logo what gives ...?... i'm bad and proud of it
cheers imho :beer:

I agree with Fixed. I personally think we do like logos of companies that we love, but eschew those we don't care for. Our bikes do not ride better or worse because of decals, but it's our feeling of the companies that gets played out.

I personally don't mind Serotta putting 15 decals on their Meivici. http://serotta.com/meivici/index.html In fact, I know of very few people asking Serotta to do their Meivici with absolutely no labeling/decals. :)

avalonracing
11-30-2007, 03:57 PM

My Coppi had 15 if memory serves.
The thing is, people love logos... so more must be better. Hell, it's hard to find a nice black T-Shirt without "BOSS" or "Calvin Klein" or try to find a good fleece jacket without "Patagonia" or that stupid "Mountain Hardware" logo.
But for some people a factory logo is never enough... Like this guy.

Lincoln
11-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Can't believe I agree on a question of aesthetics with BBD :beer:

The stickers on my wheels came off fairly easily and I'm quite happy with the results:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15119&stc=1

Fixed
11-30-2007, 04:58 PM
hip bike nice setup bro imho
cheers :beer:

Simon Q
11-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Can't believe I agree on a question of aesthetics with BBD :beer:

The stickers on my wheels came off fairly easily and I'm quite happy with the results:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15119&stc=1

So you should be happy with the results.

dave thompson
11-30-2007, 07:56 PM
seatposts are the same.

You can! CarbonLord carbon seatpost, neat, clean and tidy. NO logos.

PacNW2Ford
11-30-2007, 09:55 PM
That is the "Big Cheesy Sticker" poll:

http://uoduckstore.com/goducks/details_goducks.cfm?id=1731&section=55&all=no

Put 10" college logo stickers on your car? I'll never understand.

Ahneida Ride
11-30-2007, 10:50 PM
GEE ...

You are so correct BBD ....

Logo's stickers on all bike components .... YUCK :butt:

Someday when I get the frns. I'l get the KING crap off my headset.
Get it blasted off and it reanodize. ;)

Took the decals off my wheels almost immediately. :banana:

BumbleBeeDave
11-30-2007, 11:06 PM
. . . on bike components or anything else. A manufacturer should be able to label their products. I think in general having your name on the product you sell contributes motivation to make sure it's a quality product. There's an issue of pride involved. It's the concept behind putting hugely oversized logo stickers on things like wheels and other components that eclipse whatever beauty of technology and craftsmanship may be built into the piece of equipment in the first place.

I'm proud to go out wearing my Serotta cap or t-shirt because I like the company and its products. But beyond that, the bikes can be had without the stickers if you want. It's your choice. With things like the Edge wheels, it's as if they are counting on most people being too lazy or clueless to see they are being taking advantage of and leave the stickers on there, thus supplying Edge with free advertising. Products with the big logos under the clear coat are even worse because you effectively can't take them off.

But I do draw distinction between that and gaudy cycling clothing. I know that may sound hypocritical, but with the clothing I want to be as noticeable as possible out on the road. I want every lazy, inattentive driver gabbing on their cell phone with one hand and sipping a latte with the other while they steer with their knees to see me coming. Thus the zebra stripes and any other horribly clashing combination of colors or patterns I can come up with! :eek:

BBD

Z3c
11-30-2007, 11:28 PM
One thing you have to say for Edge is that the decals are easily removed whereas Zipp and now Easton are not.. At least they give you the choice!

Scott

Lincoln
12-01-2007, 01:21 AM
One thing you have to say for Edge is that the decals are easily removed whereas Zipp and now Easton are not.. At least they give you the choice!

Scott

I don't know about the current generation of Zipps but it was only about a two beer project to get them off my pre-dimple 404s.

Blue Jays
12-01-2007, 02:29 AM
King would make a fortune if they offered a logo-free headset to the marketplace. People would remove perfectly good ones in order to make the switch for no reason except aesthetics.
They are in a perfect strategic business position to do this because they are the de facto standard.

Simon Q
12-01-2007, 02:43 AM
I don't know about the current generation of Zipps but it was only about a two beer project to get them off my pre-dimple 404s.
Three for my dimpled 404s but I was very thirsty...