PDA

View Full Version : OT: Obscure (now deceased) musician

ti_boi
11-30-2007, 09:27 AM
All of you music buffs out there (especially in the Pacific Northwest) -- i wonder if you have heard of a very interesting talent named 'Jimmy Silva'...I have three works by Jimmy....the posthumous Near the End of the Harvest, the wonderfullly upbeat Heidi...and another one on vinyl Fly Like a Dog.

So far this is all I know:

Seattle singer/songwriter Jimmy Silva's death at the age of 42, two days before Christmas 1994, deprived the pop underground of one of its finest unheralded tunesmiths, one whose wryly inventive, offhandedly insightful lyrics were brilliantly balanced by jangly, hook-intensive melodies. After a stint in Vietnam, Silva played around the Bay Area with his band the Empty Set in the early '70s, but it wasn't until the next decade that he was discovered and embraced by indie-pop fans.

The man was terrific....if anyone knows a bit about him....(i have googled, so thanks anyway)...I would love to know! I am a bit obsessed with his story....his sound is terrific...kind of a Byrds...meets....old REM type stuff.