PDA

View Full Version : Columbus SL

jhcakilmer
11-30-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm considering one of the Viner frames that are NOS from early 90s. They use the Columbus SL tubing and I was wonder about the riding characteristics of this tubset, and how would it be for large riders?

Has any ridden this frameset, any oppinions welcome. Thanks

Chris
11-30-2007, 08:20 AM
I raced on these frames in the late 80s and early 90s. I am 6'2". They are overall nice bikes, but be sure to check the geometry. As I recall, the angles were abnormally steep. Maybe even something like 74/74. I can't recall.

sspielman
11-30-2007, 08:21 AM
I'm considering one of the Viner frames that are NOS from early 90s. They use the Columbus SL tubing and I was wonder about the riding characteristics of this tubset, and how would it be for large riders?

Has any ridden this frameset, any oppinions welcome. Thanks

How big is the rider? Frame size? Does the rider have souplesse?...or pedal in squares?

jhcakilmer
11-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Rider size = 210-220 6'3", I'm pretty easy on equipment, and I spin, no squares!

sspielman
11-30-2007, 08:28 AM
Rider size = 210-220 6'3", I'm pretty easy on equipment, and I spin, no squares!

Got it...it's for you....
I wouldn't wonder if SL isn't a little light for a big rider on a big frame...BUT, people tended to refer to the standard butted Columbus tubes as "SL" when the frame could be made with some or all "SP". Most better production bikes using Columbus started using some of the heavier "SP" tubing for the downtube and/or chainstays in the larger sizes....I'll bet that is the case for the Viner...and that it would be a pretty slick bike....

stevep
11-30-2007, 08:31 AM
its surely sp in that size.
same stuff but thicker.
should be ok.
i thk sp probably takes a 27.0 post
s

been awhile though...

Fixed
11-30-2007, 08:38 AM
sl on my fixed it's great imho
cheers

jhcakilmer
11-30-2007, 08:50 AM
How would this compare to the Genius tubing, used in 90s Casati frames, etc?

sspielman
11-30-2007, 09:06 AM
If the design is the same (and it almost never is) I doubt that you could detect any difference.

dvancleve
11-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Genius was Columbus' newest/lightest/best at the time when SL/SP was the old standby. I believe Genius was designed with TIG welding in mind, but was also used lugged. SL/SP is comparable to Reynolds 531 if that helps any.

Doug

Fixed
11-30-2007, 10:39 AM
of the stuff i ride it is my fav.
cheers

michael white
11-30-2007, 10:40 AM
SL was .9/.6, considered light in its day, but burly in today's context, when tube walls are way thinner. I for one loved the ride of SL.

cpg
11-30-2007, 10:43 AM
SL was .9/.6, considered light in its day, but burly in today's context, when tube walls are way thinner. I for one loved the ride of SL.

That's true but remember the diameters were smaller so that is a fairly light tube. Still I understand your point. Due to heat treatment and lots of alloying tubes have become lighter.

Curt

michael white
11-30-2007, 10:49 AM
If I went to you (curt) and said,
ok I want a frame with a really great ride, but please make it harder to dent than some of these lightweight wonders, and 4.5 lbs or so is plenty light . . . then SL might be just what the doctor ordered?

CNY rider
11-30-2007, 11:01 AM
If I went to you (curt) and said,
ok I want a frame with a really great ride, but please make it harder to dent than some of these lightweight wonders, and 4.5 lbs or so is plenty light . . . then SL might be just what the doctor ordered?

My Mariposa contains a healthy helping of Columbus SL.
I'm a 145 pounder with the sprint of a jellyfish.
I like it. :beer:

Blue Jays
11-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Viner frames were wonderful back in the day and a true favorite among many criterium riders. I'll stake my life the Viner factory likely utilized a "SP" downtube even if the other tubes are exclusively "SL" throughout, given their reputation for stiffness. It will be a quick-handling retro-rocketship you have there.
Congratulations!

Tobias
11-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Unless a material was made in only one size (wall thickness and diameter) I don’t see how they can be compared in general terms. Shouldn’t it be more about how much material is used and its proportions rather than the grade itself?

Maybe I’m missing the bigger picture, but has any company made steel tubes in only one size? When I look at current tube specs they usually have quite a few sizes listed; without knowing what was used can any comparison be meaningful? :confused: