PDA

View Full Version : atrial fibillation

dharleyd
07-27-2004, 07:06 PM
has anyone riden with the heart condition know as atr5ial fibillation. my doctoe has advised me to ride as much and as hard as i can. have many difficulties on hills and head winds. would like to hear from others that have the same condition.
thanks
dharleyd

rnhood
07-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Are you taking any meds for it?

Jeff N.
07-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Its Atrial Fibrillation, a condition in which the atria of your heart are quivering constantly. The ventricles respond and contract irregularly, resulting in an irregular heartbeat. Now I'm no cardiologist, but I AM an R.N...and although A-Fib is not a life threatening arrhythmia,left untreated, it could lead to stroke, CHF, or clots being thrown around your circulation. NOT good. I would NOT do any serious bike riding until I had it treated, either with digitalis, or cardioversion, or whatever. How old are you? Any history of myocardial infarction (heart attack), or any other heart condition that might've brought this on? Are you seeing a cardiologist? Jeff N.

Jeff N.
07-27-2004, 07:29 PM
See your cardiologist TODAY! Jeff N.

pbbob
07-27-2004, 07:50 PM
has anyone riden with the heart condition know as atr5ial fibillation. my doctoe has advised me to ride as much and as hard as i can. have many difficulties on hills and head winds. would like to hear from others that have the same condition.
thanks
dharleyd
we all have difficulties with headwinds and hills. what do you mean specifically?

slowgoing
07-27-2004, 09:05 PM
I had a few episodes a few years back that went away when I stopped overdoing it on caffeine. Cut the stuff out completely and the episodes went away and have neve returned. It's funny, too, because at the time these things were happening, I kind of knew in the back of my mind that they were the result of being all juiced up. I read that smoking and alcohol may also bring it about. Definitely talk to a cardiologist.

dharleyd
07-27-2004, 09:06 PM
yes i am seeing a cadiologest and had a cardioversion 10 days ago. it failed after 4 days. the drugs that i have been given are cumadin and degoxin. have been told by the cardiologest to ride but not push to the limits. the problems are hills i become very short of breath, must stop for a minute and then try agian. takes awhile but i do get there.

Jeff N.
07-27-2004, 09:52 PM
yes i am seeing a cadiologest and had a cardioversion 10 days ago. it failed after 4 days. the drugs that i have been given are cumadin and degoxin. have been told by the cardiologest to ride but not push to the limits. the problems are hills i become very short of breath, must stop for a minute and then try agian. takes awhile but i do get there.Thats because your cardiac output is less than good. In atrial fib, your atrium doesn't completely empty into your ventricle. I'm surprised you aren't tired pedaling PERIOD. Pre-atrial contractions (PAC's) and pre-ventricular contractions (PVC's), on occasion, are normal. But A-fib, I feel, should be corrected before you do much cycling. If meds and/or cardioversion ain't gettin rid of it, then something called ABLATION might be the answer. Its pretty common these days. Talk to your doc. The Coumadin you are on is an anti-coagulant that helps prevent clots from forming. The Digoxin is a cardiac drug which slows the heart rate and strengthens contractions. Over time, it COULD eradicate the A-Fib. Another good drug to try is Diltiazem. Good luck, man. How old are you, if I may ask? Jeff n.

malcolm
07-28-2004, 12:29 AM
Many times a-fib can't be corrected or more properly put converted to a sinus rhythm. In this case the rate is controlled with various meds and the pt. is frequently put on long term anticoagulation (coumadin). I would be a bit leary of being anticoagulated on a bike. I would at least invest in some top quality head gear. Good luck, Malcolm

Dekonick
07-28-2004, 02:48 AM
Mmmm - if you are getting short of breath from exercise thats one thing... but if it is because of your A-fib, you need to back off a little. Your heart can't pump effeciently with atrial fibrilation - as your atria (top of the heart) arent pumping - they provide approximately 20% of your total cardiac fill to the ventricles (bottom of heart) which in turn pump blood to the body. If the ventricles are pumping 20% less blood volume out... well you can imagine how that impacts you.

The problem is that when/if you tax the heart too much you can precipitate lethal cardiac arrhythmia's - a fancy way of saying your heart will literally kill you for killing yourself with effort...

Exercise is a good thing, but too much with A-fib is not.

Just FYI - you should check out a new ablation proceedure for A-fib - ill get the name of the surgury and post it here. You don't have to live with a-fib.

The newest ablation type proceedure was developed at the Washington Hospital Center by a Dr Schwartz - you can do a search for him and it will give you links (he is one of their top cardiac surgeons... great with a knife, and one hell of a character!) - I think its called the mais or maze proceedure. I am too tired to find it right now

Good night all!

Bruce H.
07-28-2004, 06:29 AM
With Coumadin in the system, I have to check with the MD prior to any dental procedures that are tissue invasive due to possible clotting problems. What happens if you fall and cause internal bleeding??
I do not know dosage for A-Fib. Is it high enough to cause the above problems? If so be careful and do not take chances.
Bruce H.

pbbob
07-28-2004, 06:31 AM
yes i am seeing a cadiologest and had a cardioversion 10 days ago. it failed after 4 days. the drugs that i have been given are cumadin and degoxin. have been told by the cardiologest to ride but not push to the limits. the problems are hills i become very short of breath, must stop for a minute and then try agian. takes awhile but i do get there.
A man has got to know his limits but has the cardiologist told you exactly what your limits are? If you have questions and that person can't answer them to your satisfaction find another. you need to become an expert on your meds and condition. good luck.

soulspinner
07-28-2004, 06:31 AM
Feel for you. Im going through testing as Im having near constant PACs and PVCs. Im not having many riding, but it is unnerving. Hope all ends up well with you...

Kevan
07-28-2004, 07:19 AM
A-fib and been doing 325mg of Quin 2x daily and 12.5mg of tenormin 1x. This condition hit me early, about age 35. I'm now 49. Cycling I believe has been a major factor in keeping things pumping, though I doubt I'll ever get away from the pills completely.

Early on, before cycling, I had little to no exercise going, drinking too often (which I suppose could mean too much), and eating the wrong stuff and too much of it. Intially, I was landing in the hospital every 2 years to correct the rhythm, but that hasn't happened now (let me knock on some wood here) for some 6 years now, I'm guessing. Actually, I owe my transformation to a hospital doctor I didn't know, who was taking a sonogram of my heart. He muttered practically to himself that he'd never seen a more out-of-shape heart. I thought his comment was mean and cold, but it shook me awake and I decided things had to change.

So things did change. I drink basically only on weekends and then that's usually only a beer or two (ok, on good times...maybe 3), coffees out, exercise and biking are completely consuming. I've been able to reduce the medication I was taking to the dose mentioned above, and I also pop an aspirin.

As for performance, I don't think my meds are interferring. 12.5mg of tenormin probably has little impact, though I guess it helps with my resting rate. While Lance has nothing to fear from me my talents keep me on pretty good spirited club rides.

That's this man's story.

pbbob
07-28-2004, 08:40 AM
doesn't stuart o'grady have a-fib? probably kept him from getting the green jersey.

Silverthump
07-28-2004, 09:00 AM
56 year male, 5"10, 195 biking and gym rat (weights & boxing)
I have had pre-ventricular contractions (PVC's) since I started biking in the latter 80's. Had painful PVC's 3 years ago and cardiologist did a Stress Echo to examine structural integrity of heart & valves = perfect. Reccomended cutting down on caffiene. (Cardiologists was collegiate biker)
Last fall early in the AM got up to pee and wife heard crash and found me with eyes dialated and very weak pulse & little BP (wife is nurse). Next thing I know I have EMT's starting ECG and transporting me to hopsital in ambulance. Another Stress Echo=Perfect, Head scan=empty, and 30 days of carrying a credit card like device that picks up your heart rythymn when you hold to your chest. Could never catch PVC's because they happen to fast. Diagnosis= unknown. Inital diag was vasovegal syndrome but wife deal with that daily and she assures me that was NOT a vasovegal as she had trouble getting any pules and BP.
Net-net heart structure abnormalities can be detected. Much more difficult to isolate and identify electrical disturbances.
I upped my biking in the spring and finished Ride the Rockies with no problem. As my milage and training went up and my caffeine consumption went down so have my PVC's decreased.
Net-net is electrical disturbances are comparable to electrical shorts in your car, hard to isolate & correct but can be done.
Also, reserach shows high incidence of sudden death in spite of your physical condition. Hope you get things corrected and can progress. However, enjoy each and ever day as nobody gets a guarantee for tommorow! Also as a PharmD in pharmaceutical research I would encourage you to take responsibility for understanding your meds and treatment options.

Dekonick
07-28-2004, 10:41 AM
No matter what you end up doing : Have a stess test done and find out your max HR etc... so your physician can set exercise guidelines for you to work with.

The big risk with coumadin (or any of the blood thinners like plavix, etc...) is bleeding. Being cut is not the biggest risk, its bumping your head and having your brain bleed. Wear a helmet!

Keep riding! and good luck!

coylifut
07-28-2004, 11:45 AM
I was under the impression that Stuey O'Grady had Super Ventricular Tachycardia and had an ablation done and no longer suffers symptoms. It is amazing that he raced for years on the road and the track with this condition at the highest levels of the sport. The quarterback for the Lions, Joey Harrington also had an ablation done as well. I too have SVT and yes caffeine and alcohol are triggers. Mine is very episodic. It's either on or off and I can feel when it's coming on. Mine was much more frequent as a youth and I now sometimes go months between episodes. It's actually happened in races where I recovered and went on to podium. After wearing a monitor, performing various tests and ultrasounds, my Cardiologist and I decided not to do an ablation. There is a small percentage of people who loose their AV node as a result of ablation. If that happens, it's pace maker time and recreational racing is over. My worst case scenario is that I have an episode, I get dropped and the group goes on without me. If this procedure was available 20 + years ago when I was a junior, I'd have done it.

Dekonick
07-28-2004, 03:11 PM
Traditional ablation is different from the mais (maze? spelling??) proceedure; it does not involve direct burning of cardiac tissue; also SVT with an abberant pathway is an entierly different proplem than atrial fibrilation. (we could go on and on - ie is it WPW? which is the bundle of kent involved? etc etc etc...)

Bottom line - depending on the cause of your a-fib, medication may be able to convert and keep you in a nice sinus rhythm. If that doesnt work, cardioversion (after anticoagulation or an echo proves no clots exist) may work. A permenant solution is ablation - or - the new RF procedure developed at the Washington Hospital Center.

PLEASE - talk to your MD about a stress test; its worth it.

Consider using diltizaem too - works wonders (ask your MD)

Amiadorone may also be of benefit.

coylifut
07-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Consider using diltizaem too - works wonders (ask your MD)

My doc gave me several boxes of diltiazem about two years ago to use, but I never have. I've always been afraid that they'd impeed my athletic performance. Does anyone have any experiences/opinions on how diltiazem might affect the endurance athlete?

OnceFast
07-28-2004, 04:15 PM
I suffered with atrial flutter which is a variation of what you have. I used to race but had to give it up because I couldn't train hard enough to stay in shape. Some days I would be OK, but on others the AF would slow me down. I got sick of it so I got an ablation. It turns out the AF can hide something called sick sinus syndrome which I have and the cure for that is a pacemaker. So just be aware that the ablation is not a guaranteed cure and can lead to other treatment. On the other hand, I have a freind who had an ablation and is now fine. There is a lot of information on the web and if you get one done go to a good hospital where they do at least 10 per week.

Jeff N.
07-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Diltiazem, a calcium channel blocker, is a great drug for atrial arrhythmias. Someone out there correct me if I'm wrong, but it is a good drug to take for such problems that affect athletes. Theres other drugs, like Atenolol, that prevent increased heart rate when exercising...not a good thing. But Diltiazem lowers heart rate, decreases resting BP, and is OK to take when exercising as far as I am aware. Jeff N.

Dekonick
07-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Diltiazem (aka Cardiazem) - Ca+ channel blocker.
- will not have any adverse effect on athletics. (In fact, it is my personal favorite drug to use for patients who are symptomatic secondary to atrial arrhythmia's - its pretty safe too!)

some of the other Ca+ channel blockers arent quite as safe IMHO - mainly avoid verapamil if you can.

Amiodarone is another GREAT medication - works on many different receptors in the heart... and is relatively safe to use with patients who have 'sick' hearts (early congestive heart failure for example)

Digoxin is often also used for A-fib - good drug.

Atenolol, labetolol, (anydrugnamewith)olol - Beta blocker and WILL adversly effect your performance (you wont be able to reach high HR's - which is why it is used for A-fib, Hypertension, prophalyxis post heart attack...etc...)

Oh - side note - I gave the wrong surgeon's name - Dr Steinburg is the MD @ the Washington Hospital Center who developed the special radio frequency ablation procedure for A-fib. He is one heck of a talented swordsman... I would let him cut on me. He is highly regarded by all of the staff at WHC.

http://www.georgewashingtonhosp.com/p7694.html <--- link RE MAZE

He now practices at the Washington Hospital Center.

:) Good Luck!

coylifut
07-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Dekonic wrote
Diltiazem (aka Cardiazem) - Ca+ channel blocker.
- will not have any adverse effect on athletics. (In fact, it is my personal favorite drug to use for patients who are symptomatic secondary to atrial arrhythmia's - its pretty safe too!)

So what you are saying is that if I'm taking diltiazem and I go out the back, the drug has nothing to do with it. That's always been my fear is that I won't be able to reach a max HR while on it. I have several month supply of it, I'll give it a try.

Jeff N.
07-28-2004, 11:15 PM
So what you are saying is that if I'm taking diltiazem and I go out the back, the drug has nothing to do with it. That's always been my fear is that I won't be able to reach a max HR while on it. I have several month supply of it, I'll give it a try.You won't have that problem with Diltiazem...its Beta blockers like ATENOLOL that'll keep your heartrate low, even when you are exercising hard. Be advised, Diltiazem WILL lower your resting heartrate. After taking it for a day or so, you'll probably notice that. Lowers your BP too! I've even heard of people who claim their sex drive (IE: ability to get it up and keep it up) is enhanced! Of course, results will vary. Certainly worth a try! Jeff N.

Dekonick
07-29-2004, 10:31 AM
Diltiazem is safe when you follow your MD's instructions. I use it all of the time (for patients)

-It will slow a heart rate ONLY if the hear rate is pathologic (in other words, your heart is beating fast and it shouldnt...it works) but if your HR is higs and is being paced from your normal pacing site, the SA node, it has no effect. You may have low BP initially, so be careful the first few days (ye might pass out!)

It works by competing at the calcium ion channels, blocking the influx of calcium ions into muscle cells (kinda - keeping it as simple as I can) - this calcium is needed for actin/mycin to attach and form a bond, that holds the fibers together. Then a high energy phosphate breaks a bond (usually ATP becoming ADP - its been a looonng time since I have looked at this but I think this is right), causing what we call the power stroke - resulting in a muscle fiber contraction. (interestingly, if the calcium is not removed this bond remains, and the muscle fiber is locked - this is what rigor mortis is. Essentially the dead persons body isnt breaking these bonds and re-cycling the calcium, so you have a stiff dead body... until it begins to decompose, and the bonds are broken. I digress....)

Beta blockers work by a completely different mechanism. They block Beta receptors - these receptors are triggered by chemicals like - adrenaline. If you are working your arse off, and your adrenaline is pumping, and you are taking beta blockers, your heart rate wont get as high. (because the heart is not getting the message in full force to speed up - it is only getting some of the signals - again an over simplification)

SO- how hard a contraction (heart beat) is more effected by Ca+ blockers
How FAST the heart beats by Beta stimulation. There is alot more to it than this, but it gives you an idea.

Think of it like this:

10 guys are rowing a boat. How fast they pull the oars would be similar to the Beta side of things, How hard they pull the oars the Ca+.

coylifut
07-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Dekonic wrote
SO- how hard a contraction (heart beat) is more effected by Ca+ blockers
How FAST the heart beats by Beta stimulation. There is alot more to it than this, but it gives you an idea.

Ok, now this makes sense. My episodes don't necesarity speed up the heart, they make it pump really hard. I don't want to make this sound like this is a debilitating condition for me, it's clearly not. It's either on (pumping hard) or off. I know that I don't have WWP, but SVT. I started the Diltiazem yesterday and will look into the Maze proceedure. I've forgone Ablation because I live a fairly normal competitive life. However, if there is a proceedure with far less probability to fry my av node and leave me with a pace maker, I'd highly consider it.

sevencyclist
07-29-2004, 10:03 PM
There are basically two things you can do with A Fib. Try to convert to sinus rate, or live with A fib but control the rate.

Cardioversion can be done with electric shock, or can be chemically converted. There are many new chemical agents available which can convert as well as maintain sinus once you return to sinus rate. Sometimes EPS can be done to map out foci of problem and MAZE procedure can be carried out.

Rate control is usually done with chemical agents, and I suspect this is what is happening now with you. You want to let your physician know about your exertional problem and perhaps there are other things (such as ischemia) in addition to A fib that's contributing to the shortness of breath.

Coumadin is needed to prevent strokes once you have been in A fib for more than 48 hours, and can be discontinued only if the risk of bleed outweighs the benefit of embolic risk. Even if you stop having A fib after cardioversion, the standard of care is to continue anticoagualtion for one more month.

Hope this is helpful.

Dekonick
07-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Sevencyclist nailed it.

Some of the newest research from Germany is leaning toward not converting A-fib to sinus, but I dont think this is ideal - especially for an athlete. Its kinda hard to explain some of this in simple terms, but Seven did! :banana:

I hope all works out for you in the end!

Larry
08-01-2004, 08:24 AM
Age 51.... 6'1""...... 235 lbs.

Last summer I did a stress test and the cardiologist said that I had HBP with irregular heartbeat. He discouraged me from riding Tour of Colorado, because of altitude, weight, and constant climbing. I was put on Toprol 25 mg. I have a problem with PVC, but he said the heart is working fine.

This spring and summer I have had episodes of HBP, occasionally racing heartrate, and a general feeling of weakness in the legs and arms. The heat and humidity can really take a toll also. I have bonked out numerous times with that feeling of...... it is time to stop and get off of the bike. My medicine was changed to Diovan 80 mg. After listening to my new symtoms, my doctor from 3 years ago said that Diovan was a better choice for someone of my age. I am of the understanding that Diovan keeps the blood vessels open...... perhaps mine are constricting under a load of exercise or stress. Is Diovan indeed a better choice for my age?

My question is this: Once you are on a blood pressure medication, are you definitely on this medicine for the rest of your life? Is it possible to safely come off BP medicine if you drop your weight significantly, 25 to 30 pounds?
My feeling is that these medicines take the fire and strength out of your legs.

Also, is it adviseable to not weight train at the gym if you have HBP?
Does weight training tend to raise blood pressure?

Larry

Dekonick
08-01-2004, 05:05 PM
Diovan is an ACE blocker. (angiotensin converting enzyme = ACE) It is the one of the newer hypertension medications, and quite safe. You can get off of your medications...but... ya gotta really watch your BP as hypertension has no signs or symptoms until disaster strikes... so regardless... keep monitored!

Diovan is often used along with HCTZ, a diuretic. If 80mg works for you GREAT! - thats the starting dose.

Just dont over do it. Exercise etc... but dont kill yourself doing it!

Good luck.

Jeff N.
08-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Exercise, proper diet and weight loss can DEFINITELY lower BP over time. So it is possible that over time you could discontinue BP meds, yes. Jeff N.

Dekonick
08-01-2004, 09:18 PM
Agreed - however, depending on the cause, it could be in your best interest to stay on some medications. Some causes of hypertension are not well understood, and not all respond to diet, exercise, wt loss.

You probably can get off of the meds by following Jeff's suggestions... I just urge caution. Keep having your blood pressure checked - and often. A stroke or heart attack is not worth it.

Larry
08-02-2004, 08:39 AM
To Debonik:

I have noticed that I am really sensitive to the high outdoor temperatures of Dallas, that is to say my BP tends to go up significantly higher when I am out in the heat for a short time. Could this also be the air quality? It has been red and orange index for a while. I also have a strained left pectoral muscle, and it tends to tighten up, especially in heat. I am thinking perhaps anxiety attacks. Does this sound correct? Also, I have noticed that the Diovan relaxes the pectoral in a short time.

The goal is to lose the weight gradually, and eventually get off the medication. Perhaps another stress test is in order in the next 4 months.
Is a stress test really a reliable indicator of strong or weak heart functions?

I am trying my best to get into a course of action.
Thanks for the input.

Larry

Dekonick
08-02-2004, 09:36 AM
A-Fib has nothing to do with anxiety. If your doctor has diagnosed you with atrial fibrilation, then you need to treat it accordingly. It sounds like your MD is taking all of the right steps, and is treating it in accordance with current medical practice - (using a beta blocker is accepted practice too, just not ideal in an athletic person)

IF you believe it is anxiety, (fluttering in the chest, feeling like you are going to lose control, die, etc...) and other medical issues have been ruled out, then you can try any number of medications (with therapy for the best success) - SSRI's, Benzo's etc - just do it with a doc and a therapist.

as far as air quality goes, I have no idea. I am more of an emergency medical / critical care kinda guy. Perhaps PBbob can answer more, or one of the family medicine docs.

The best answer is to take whatever you hear/read etc... and pass it thru yer Doc.

and - yes - a stress test can give a good idea of how healthy your cardiovascular system is (but wont show anything about blood vessel issues, like plaque build up, narrowing, etc... - you need a cath or CT for that)

The main thing about the stress test is while you are being 'stressed' you are watched - so if anything begins to develop they can stop you and treat it. No matter what, dont do more than your MD tells you to do.

:p

Dirtdog
08-02-2004, 09:39 AM
I to have Atria Fib, along with a common link to it, a leaking Mitral Valve.
I am 53 I ride both mountain and road bike while putting in about 6000 miles per year. My memoery will show itself here but the medication that failed me
the most was Lanoxin. My most recent medicine that I have taken for the last 3 years that has let me ride and enjoy cycling without going into the Fib zone is FLECAINIDE ACETATE 10mg twice a day. I beleive it's a generic for Tambocor. I think the Flecainide is a channel block and I think it only sligthly effects my high end heart rate. I stay away from racing and spend more time in longer more consitant training rides. Eventualy I will opt for the ablation surgery but I am trying to put that off for as long as possible. My cardioligist is more concerned about the leaking mitral valve, the main reason is that the medicine is working real well on the A Fib but we are not yet doing anything for the leaking valve. He is a great Dr. who I trust completely.

When I went into the Fib zone it usually lasted up to 14 to 16 hours. Not steady but in and out. IT could start in the morning and when I went to sleep that night the next day I was OK. :hello:

Jeff N.
08-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Agreed - however, depending on the cause, it could be in your best interest to stay on some medications. Some causes of hypertension are not well understood, and not all respond to diet, exercise, wt loss.

You probably can get off of the meds by following Jeff's suggestions... I just urge caution. Keep having your blood pressure checked - and often. A stroke or heart attack is not worth it.Absolutely! Jeff N.

dshaflaw
08-10-2004, 03:44 PM
In 1999 I had a major bout of atrial fib while doing some serious triathlon training. Meds did not get me out of it, so I got cardioverted. 6 weeks later, I went back into it. Again, I had to be converted. I was really depressed, as I train about 15-20 hours a week including biking, masters swim, and running. You cannot do that in atrial fib!!

My cardiologist called in a major cardiac electrophysiologist from UCLA who recommended Flecadine (also known as Tablacor). They put me on 100 mg tablets every 12 hours. I have never gone back into atrial fib in the last 5 years, and have no impact on my training. What a godsend! I am a 46 year old male in very good shape. I don't know if this medication is right for you. I just know it has worked for me. Good luck. doug

Dirtdog
08-10-2004, 05:21 PM
In 1999 I had a major bout of atrial fib while doing some serious triathlon training. Meds did not get me out of it, so I got cardioverted. 6 weeks later, I went back into it. Again, I had to be converted. I was really depressed, as I train about 15-20 hours a week including biking, masters swim, and running. You cannot do that in atrial fib!!

My cardiologist called in a major cardiac electrophysiologist from UCLA who recommended Flecadine (also known as Tablacor). They put me on 100 mg tablets every 12 hours. I have never gone back into atrial fib in the last 5 years, and have no impact on my training. What a godsend! I am a 46 year old male in very good shape. I don't know if this medication is right for you. I just know it has worked for me. Good luck. doug

That is what I take also, it really works well for me. My problem in the long run is open heart surgery to fix my mitral valve (or replace it) when he is in there he's going to try a fix the afib. These are two different procedures but
both will be done when I am opened up.

Dekonick
08-10-2004, 09:24 PM
Yup - they can fix both while your chest is cracked open. the MAZE proceedure works wonders according to everyone I talk with - my Dad just had it done!! (FINALLY got him to take it seriously! That was a pain in the arse) He also had a leaking valve, but his was his Aortic valve... and it was compromised enough to reduce cardiac output. That, along with A-fib, made him tired all day. He is now a happy camper - with a new valve and a permenant fix for the A-fib! Ironic it all happened recently...

As far as Drugs go - Flecanide is becoming a favorite, along with Cardizem (my personal favorite for use in emergency settings) Amiodarone, Digoxin, etc... but Flecanide, Cardizem, Beta blockers, and amiodarone are fast becoming the favorites, with Lanoxin etc becoming secondary choices.

If you are getting a new heart valve, check and see if you can get a porcine valve. That way you wont need to be on plavix or coumadin long term... and that nice to avoid esp for athletes.

Best of luck!

gasman
08-10-2004, 11:00 PM
Yup - they can fix both while your chest is cracked open. the MAZE proceedure works wonders according to everyone I talk with - my Dad just had it done!! (FINALLY got him to take it seriously! That was a pain in the arse) He also had a leaking valve, but his was his Aortic valve... and it was compromised enough to reduce cardiac output. That, along with A-fib, made him tired all day. He is now a happy camper - with a new valve and a permenant fix for the A-fib! Ironic it all happened recently...

As far as Drugs go - Flecanide is becoming a favorite, along with Cardizem (my personal favorite for use in emergency settings) Amiodarone, Digoxin, etc... but Flecanide, Cardizem, Beta blockers, and amiodarone are fast becoming the favorites, with Lanoxin etc becoming secondary choices.

If you are getting a new heart valve, check and see if you can get a porcine valve. That way you wont need to be on plavix or coumadin long term... and that nice to avoid esp for athletes.

Best of luck!
The only problem with a porcine valve is that they have a limited lifespan of 10-15 years at most. They then start to leak and need to be replaced but, you do get avoid taking blood thinners. A mechanical valve will last a lifetime but you need a lifetime of blood thinners. Life is full of choices, not all ideal.
The Maze procedure does work well for the majority of patients and takes only a few minutes more when you are getting a valve replacement.
Good luck.

dharleyd
08-11-2004, 07:10 AM
what are the risks with flecadine? does it require a 3 day hospital stay to be monitored? i have a appointment with a electrophysiologist in a couple weeks. when i spoke with the cardiologist i thought the risks from taking the drugs were very high. after reading these threads maybe i should rethink or talk with the cardiologist agian.

Dirtdog
08-11-2004, 09:58 AM
what are the risks with flecadine? does it require a 3 day hospital stay to be monitored? i have a appointment with a electrophysiologist in a couple weeks. when i spoke with the cardiologist i thought the risks from taking the drugs were very high. after reading these threads maybe i should rethink or talk with the cardiologist agian.

I have heard of the 3 day hospital stay before from other A fibbers but it wasn't the case for me. It may depend on how well your cardioligist knows you, knows your condition, knows what medicines you have taken. Your age, and fitnss may also be factors but not sure.

It certainly worked for me over the other drugs I have taken. I do also beleive
it shaves a bit off your high end max attainable heart though. My guess is 4 to 5% reduction. This is my opinion only but may be a cop out or an excuse for frequently getting dropped. :-)

Dirtdog
08-11-2004, 10:30 AM

Best of luck!

Thanks for the vavle tips. MY doctor is Dr. Neal Kay cardioligist a UAB Kirkland Clinic in Birmingham, AL. If you going to get sick it's a great place to be. Dr. Kay says that I am sevearl if not many years down the road from needing the valve worked on.

Tks again, for the heads up.............

bostondrunk
08-11-2004, 11:31 AM
Just out of interest, how does this condition develop? Is it hereditery(sp?)? :confused:

dharleyd
08-11-2004, 07:46 PM
i have read on the internet that it is common for high milage runners and bikers to develope. i believe i have had the problem for a couple years. at first i would have a fib for a couple hours, it has progressed to full time. in early june was the first time it was reconized by my doctor. went right to emergency and was admitted for a 2 days. after 3 weeks on drugs i had a cardioversion that lasted for about 3 days.

Dekonick
08-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Ahhh - good point regarding porcine valves and longevity (10 years)

I do believe that the third generation valves are supposed to last longer but -I dont think any have been out long enough to need replacement...Thats a good sign IMHO. Personally, I would take a porcine valve (even at my young age of 35) over a mechanical one any day. I consider the thrombus risk too great and I dont like the idea of being on warafin if I dont need to be. A baby ASA, well thats a different story.

Wow - what an interesting thread! I did not know that being an athlete can lead to A-fib... I havent seen that in any literature (I dont trust the internet - if it isnt in a journal with a rep, then I take it with a FEW grains of salt)

Can anyone confirm the exercise (endurance athletes) link? Somehow, I have a difficult time believing that exercise can cause A-fib. I'll believe V-tach, even SVT - but A-fib usually (from my exp and what I have read) results from ischemia, electrolyte imbalance...DOH! never mind!!! LOL

:D

Boy - do I feel the fool now! LOL

Dirtdog
08-11-2004, 10:15 PM
Just out of interest, how does this condition develop? Is it hereditery(sp?)? :confused:

I have never been told that it was hereditery. In hindsight I first noticed it I was playing competitive tennis back in the late 80's. I had it first diagnosed
in the mid 90's when I went into the condition and went to a fire station and had a EKG strip run. The fireman asked my permsiion to keep a copy of the strip to use has a training tool for there recruits.

To my knowledge though it's the luck of the draw and not herditery.