View Full Version : OT- What really relaxes you?

Sandy
11-29-2007, 09:53 PM
What relaxes someone may be remarkably unsettling for another.

I just returned from a local shelter. I go there twice a day to walk and spend time with a pit bull, King, who has been at the shelter since April. We have bonded.

The shelter was getting ready to close. I had walked King, interacted and played with him, and put him in his cage for the night. I lied down next to him and gently stroked his body and head, as he became more and more relaxed. I was thinking how genuinely relaxing and calming the experience was for both of us. We had total trust in one another. It was special to me.

What activity really relaxes you in a special way?

Sandy

DarrenCT
11-29-2007, 10:00 PM
my cat

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/4271/cataw6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

my bike

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8049/darrenresdm1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

playing tennis

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8836/darrenservepf9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

beer

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4548/sierranevadabeer03vt6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Sandy
11-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Neat answer. Enyoyed the photos that went along with the words.

I wonder how often a pet would be in the answer of my question.

Sandy

DarrenCT
11-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Neat answer. Enyoyed the photos that went along with the words.

I wonder how often a pet would be in the answer of my question.

Sandy

Sandy,

studies have proven that pets definitely relax people. i think pets will be a top choice. neat topic btw.

relaxed d

BumbleBeeDave
11-29-2007, 10:10 PM
. . . and listening to the rain pounding on the roof when I can sleep late the next morning. Safe and warm in bed, in my own house, the roof don't leak, the basement don't leak . . . real nice feeling.

BBD

DarrenCT
11-29-2007, 10:11 PM
BBD,

good call listening to the rain. also maybe watching the snow fall while its snowing outside. (while pounding a gin on the rocks)

fireplace = relaxing for sure...

ashwa64
11-29-2007, 10:16 PM
smoking a fat bowl of some sick chronic (although it's been a while).

did i just say that?

Sandy
11-29-2007, 10:18 PM

did i just say that?

Yes you did, but we won't tell.

Sandy

DarrenCT
11-29-2007, 10:19 PM

did i just say that?

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/3212/shockedsc8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Lifelover
11-29-2007, 10:30 PM
. . . and listening to the rain pounding on the roof when I can sleep late the next morning. Safe and warm in bed, in my own house, the roof don't leak, the basement don't leak . . . real nice feeling.

BBD

I'm truly not trying to be antagonistic because your's is the type of response my wife would give. I'm just the exact opposite. I very seldom give thanks for the bad things that don't happen to me. I'm too busy rejoicing in the good stuff that does happen.

72gmc
11-29-2007, 10:31 PM
dogs and dog cookies

shinomaster
11-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Piraat Belgian beer.

Lifelover
11-29-2007, 10:33 PM
What activity really relaxes you in a special way?

Sandy

My wife's touch. The closest I have came to an emotional breakdown was adverted by her stroking my hand.

J.Greene
11-29-2007, 10:34 PM
A salt bagel, whipped creame cheese, and a can of cold Coke

JG

Blue Jays
11-29-2007, 11:12 PM
Sleeping relaxes me. Put my head on the pillow, pull the warm blankets up, and I'm asleep inside of one minute.

cadence231
11-29-2007, 11:42 PM
The next day after having a GOOD night's sleep.

3chordwonder
11-30-2007, 12:06 AM
I envy Sandy for being able to be happy and relaxed while helping the animals at a shelter.

I would be a trainwreck of depression in the same situation, thinking not of the comfort I'd be giving the animals there, but of the coming day when they get killed if nobody's come to adopt them (that's what happens here, at any rate).

Totally selfish, I realize. I should get over it and help out at my local shelter but cowardly prefer to give money in the hope that allows them to keep more animals in care at one time.

I forgot - best relaxation is hanging out with happy pets, or happy girlfriend or other friends, turning off the amp after playing some loud nasty rock in a band of likeminded people. The latter happens very rarely over the last 15 years for me, but I remember the high that produces. Nothing like the feeling of being in the middle of a band going off at loud volume, it's like you can play with electricity itself.

cadence231
11-30-2007, 12:11 AM
I envy Sandy for being able to be happy and relaxed while helping the animals at a shelter.

I would be a trainwreck of depression in the same situation, thinking not of the comfort I'd be giving the animals there, but of the coming day when they get killed if nobody's come to adopt them (that's what happens here, at any rate).

Totally selfish, I realize. I should get over it and help out at my local shelter but cowardly prefer to give money in the hope that allows them to keep more animals in care at one time.

I know. It's hard.
I have adopted ex-racing greyhounds and I see a bunch of creepy stuff that I can't get out of my head but at the same time I do what I can do. Ya know?

3chordwonder
11-30-2007, 12:24 AM
I know. It's hard.
I have adopted ex-racing greyhounds and I see a bunch of creepy stuff that I can't get out of my head but at the same time I do what I can do. Ya know?

I can imagine.

I don't have much faith in human nature as it is, seeing too much of what respectable civilians do to animals to entertain themselves or just because they can make a buck out of it would turn me into a misanthrope in no time at all.

P.S. Yes you're right, doing what you can do is all you can be expected to do and absolutely a more positive and useful attitude than just complaining about it - like I do (apart from rescuing the odd injured wildlife or having adopted a few cats from shelters over the last two decades, which isn't doing much at all really).

cadence231
11-30-2007, 12:35 AM
I can imagine.

I don't have much faith in human nature as it is, seeing too much of what respectable civilians do to animals to entertain themselves or just because they can make a buck out of it would turn me into a misanthrope in no time at all.

P.S. Yes you're right, doing what you can do is all you can be expected to do and absolutely a more positive and useful attitude than just complaining about it - like I do (apart from rescuing the odd injured wildlife or having adopted a few cats from shelters over the last two decades, which isn't doing much at all really).
:beer: :beer:

slowgoing
11-30-2007, 03:12 AM
the scalp rub portion of a haircut.

Sandy
11-30-2007, 03:57 AM
My wife's touch. The closest I have came to an emotional breakdown was adverted by her stroking my hand.

What a wonderful response. Shows how much can be communicated and felt by a simple extension of touching. I guess we should all do lots more of that to the ones we genuinely love. I will today- both in the human animal world - spouse, so,...., and in the non-human animal world- pets.....

Thanks for the response.

Softly Stroking Sandy

Sandy
11-30-2007, 04:00 AM
A salt bagel, whipped creame cheese, and a can of cold Coke

JG

A fresh cinnamom raisin bagel, still warm from being baked, with cream cheese, sounds really good to me!

Sandy

Sandy
11-30-2007, 04:19 AM

I forgot - best relaxation is hanging out with happy pets, or happy girlfriend or other friends, turning off the amp after playing some loud nasty rock in a band of likeminded people. The latter happens very rarely over the last 15 years for me, but I remember the high that produces. Nothing like the feeling of being in the middle of a band going off at loud volume, it's like you can play with electricity itself.

You are being much too hard on yourself. There is a woman who works part time at the shelter in order to make additional money to help take care of dogs. I always knew that she would never go back into the kennel area. I thought that she might be afraid of the dogs. It turns out that she has about 8 dogs, and won't go back to the kennel area because she know that she will take another one. It is too tough on her to look at the dogs.

I used to spend much more time at the shelter but had problems with energy. I am doing much better now and plan on spending more time there. I have been mostly seeing one dog in particular as he has been at a shelter since April- a very long time, has no applications because of extremely strict rules in adpoting the breed (pit bull), barks and growls some when patrons come to the cage initially if he does not know them and hence does not present himself well, but is remarkably affectionate and trusting when he gets to know you, He and I have bonded.

When I would spend lots of times at a kill shelter, I would sometimes get very frustrated, thinking how little I was doing in the grand scheme of things. So many dogs and all I was doing was walking a few of the zillions at shelters. Knowing that the supply far exceeds demand and knowing that lots of truly wonderful dogs will never make it, can often be very frustrating and sad. That is the hardest part.

All I do is walk a few dogs and interact with them and others (give some donations also), but the people who foster care and rescue dogs are the ones that I really admire. They give love and great daily time to the animals. They are the heros to me.

Each person does what she or he is capable of, in their own way. I went to the kill shelter with a young and remarkably caring young woman yesterday. A couple of things happened there which upset her so much that she had to leave early. She became very emotional and told me that she just had to go home. She works at a no kill shelter and was just volunteering at the one we visited. Her love and care for dogs is so obvious. I admire her wonderful work with the dogs.

Donations are critical.

Sandy

3chordwonder
11-30-2007, 04:21 AM
Having just spent some time doing it, can I add 'removing garish stickers from new wheels'? Very effective, relaxing and rewarding especially when the stickers are the kind that peel off beautifully leaving no residue. Thanks DT Swiss for being so thoughtful.

And Sandy - good on you for spending time at those shelters. Your post above implies that as I thought it's hard work when you care, but of course unless those who care do it, nobody else will.

One day I'll have my workload throttled back, more time and consequently a more relaxed frame of mind and hopefully will do my bit. Meantime I'll keep up the donations.

Bruce K
11-30-2007, 05:23 AM
Sandy;

Your Bar Mitzvah is going to be revoked!

Cinnamon Raisin? :eek: :help: That's not a bagel, it's a pastry

Now egg or poppy seed, THOSE are bagels. ;)

BK

Sandy
11-30-2007, 05:32 AM
Sandy;

Your Bar Mitzvah is going to be revoked!

Cinnamon Raisin? :eek: :help: That's not a bagel, it's a pastry

Now egg or poppy seed, THOSE are bagels. ;)

BK

Now you are a man who knows his bagels. How does lox, cream cheese, tomato, and a hard boiled egg sound on one of those bagels you mentioned? Sounds great to me.....even relaxing.

Sandy

Sandy
11-30-2007, 06:03 AM
dogs and dog cookies

Love the photo of your dog!

Sandy

Too Tall
11-30-2007, 06:06 AM
What relaxes me??? Whatever relaxes you!

Solitary bike rides, talking with good friends.

Second best: rain drops on roses...

ti_boi
11-30-2007, 06:12 AM
I like to lay back in my knotty pine paneled room in the belly of my house...

with my two elderly terrier dogs beside resting comfortably....

and a hot mug of Kava tea. m-e-l-l-o-w

mikki
11-30-2007, 01:30 PM
A long bike ride followed by a massage by an outstanding therapist.

My cat when she curlsl up inside my bathrobe on my chest. Her furr is like silk.

Good music or a good book.

A roaring fireplace.

Hoping into our wonderful temperpedic bed with a down comforter and pillows that really support my neck.

A glass of aged, full body Cabernet Sauvignon .

And when I am too wound up for the above to do the trick, two capsules of MyoCalm (Natural herb muscle relaxers that put me out in sleepyland in an hour).

gt6267a
11-30-2007, 01:36 PM
And when I am too wound up for the above to do the trick, two capsules of MyoCalm (natural muscle relaxers that put me out in nana land in an hour).

so, you take two pills and become a grandmother. that is either the best thing ever or really disturbing.

Fixed
11-30-2007, 01:39 PM
aahhh... beer and stuff
cheers imho

the gentle side of john coltrane

TimD
11-30-2007, 01:43 PM
What ashwa said - all of it :)

I once ate half of a small tablet, the half having the numbers "71" on it, which made me VERY relaxed :)

Nowadays, >= 20 miles on the bike, absent any unpleasant encounters with cars, usually does the trick. If ridden before 0700 hours I'm good for most of the day.

CNY rider
11-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Sitting in the woods for hours on a not-too cold day, waiting for the one that never comes.
I'll admit that I"ve had some of my best ever naps sitting in a nice sunny spot, rifle in hand, waiting for deer. Sometimes I'm really glad when they don't show up. :beer:

Fixed
11-30-2007, 01:44 PM
bro that was 714
cheers

BURCH
11-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Sitting in the woods for hours on a not-too cold day, waiting for the one that never comes.
I'll admit that I"ve had some of my best ever naps sitting in a nice sunny spot, rifle in hand, waiting for deer. Sometimes I'm really glad when they don't show up. :beer:

This used to be my most relaxing activity, but now I find it a little too boring to be relaxing. I start staring at the watch too much. I would have to say fly fishing on a wooded stream to be the most relaxing. Or mtn biking... Tomorrow is a full day of bowhunting.

Although there is nothing like a nap in the woods when the son is keeping you warm in the coler months.

mcteague
11-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Listening to Arvo Part, particularly this disk.

Tim McTeague

flux
11-30-2007, 02:16 PM
5 hours in the coffin.

saab2000
11-30-2007, 02:28 PM
- Long, solo bike rides west of Appleton, WI
- A good dinner with fun people
- Driving across Wisconsin, listening to NPR
- Red wine
- Beer, in the hotel bar after a 12-hour day working
- Sitting in the garage in the summer, working on my bike
- Working, after a long spell of not working (like right now would not be bad....)

swoop
11-30-2007, 03:01 PM
learning, goose necks, mirrored objects, the sound of chamois cream squishing out of a bottle, dire straits, combing stevep's hair, grant's collection of partridge family memorabilia, katie holmes movies, lip gloss, unicorns, getting clear of thetans, dremel tool accessories, collecting vintage toothbrushes, the smell of burnt wool, gluing tubulars wrong on friends bikes, trying to steal the straw hats off USCF officials.. you know... the usual.

David Kirk
11-30-2007, 03:10 PM
As odd as this might sound - good loud punk rock and driving at 10/10. Both will wear me out and put me to sleep.

Dave

e-RICHIE
11-30-2007, 03:10 PM
a drive around the block in the back one of these atmo -

http://www.limousinehirelincoln.co.uk/images/hummer_limousine_3.jpg

fiamme red
11-30-2007, 03:11 PM

http://www.limousinehirelincoln.co.uk/images/hummer_limousine_3.jpgPOTD

sc53
11-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Sitting in front of the glowing "fireplace" of my Quad Classic tube amps and Cary preamp playing Bill Charlap, Houston Person, John Hicks, or Billy Taylor Trio through my ProAc speakers = relaxing bliss. Add a glass of red wine--the medium-bodied varieties like Pinot Noir or cotes du Rhone--and both my dogs sleeping rather than whining nearby, and I can drift away into pleasant thoughts rather than stress. Hmmm...I guess I've got my Friday evening planned!

TimD
11-30-2007, 03:22 PM
bro that was 714
cheers

I cannot confirm or deny that... my girlfriend ate the other half :beer:

Climb01742
11-30-2007, 03:28 PM
surprised no one has said this one: sex. with someone you love.

e-RICHIE
11-30-2007, 03:29 PM
atmo - (http://serotta.com/forum/showpost.php?p=432414&postcount=43)
doh!

CNY rider
11-30-2007, 03:31 PM

I know lots of forumites love themselves too. ;)

stevep
11-30-2007, 03:39 PM
e-richie and his hot shiit stretch team hummer.
i think it looks silly...
when the team comes out they look like clowns coming out of a phone booth.
i wanna use it for the summer...
my mega well funded program... last cross race 4 guys, 6 bikes and 10 pr of wheels in a honda civic.
i refused to ask how.
these kids are a riot. ahh, remember the day.
" hey, i know this girl...she has a big car..."
"nice, whats her number?"

ginger, what kinda car do you have?
just curious.

spinelli in a stretch hummer limo?
oye vey.
( yiddish for *** )

jerk
11-30-2007, 03:39 PM
me and miki we be on the same page and Shiite. vicodin is the only way to get on the real down low tip these days. muscle shots of h and hanging out against the same wall with the same beer at the same party in the same sunglasses for five nighttime hours just don't cut it no more.
jerk

e-RICHIE
11-30-2007, 03:46 PM
me and miki we be on the same page and Shiite. vicodin is the only way to get on the real down low tip these days. muscle shots of h and hanging out against the same wall with the same beer at the same party in the same sunglasses for five nighttime hours just don't cut it no more.
jerk
don't blame the shades.
see me atmo -

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1105/750231614_07c99fa46e_b.jpg

Elmer
11-30-2007, 03:56 PM
What relaxes me is watching these two girls relax in the sun.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/ElmerJosina/Dogs/IMG_0109.jpg
Does this work for you Sandy?

Fixed
11-30-2007, 03:56 PM
hip cat

imho

Grant McLean
11-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Lego + Count Chocula + saturday morning cartoons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqRxWAqnQ_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cEOKS5-DcQ&feature=related

-g

Fixed
11-30-2007, 04:05 PM
bingo :beer:

ShockTreatment
11-30-2007, 04:10 PM
aahhh... beer and stuff
cheers imho

the gentle side of john coltrane

Naima. That song can make me cry.

maunahaole
11-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Getting in a good groove on the motorcycle.

ti_boi
11-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Getting in a good groove on the motorcycle.

yeah man this is good..............playin guitar also does it for me. :cool:

Sex? Yeah, but waaaaaay to obvious...and if you are doin 'it' to relax...well, somethings wrong. :)

keno
11-30-2007, 04:23 PM
An hour or so ago my wife told me that I fell asleep this afternoon in the middle of a sentence she was uttering. I don't dare analyze this event. Nonetheless, it was relaxing in some sense of the word.

keno

Fixed
11-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Naima. That song can make me cry.

bro you know alabama ? i love naima too
cheers bro :beer:

Tobias
11-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Walking along a flowing stream in a tranquil forest.
A warm shower.
Rain on a metal roof.

Grant McLean
11-30-2007, 04:36 PM
An hour or so ago my wife told me that I fell asleep this afternoon in the middle of a sentence she was uttering. I don't dare analyze this event. Nonetheless, it was relaxing in some sense of the word.

keno

...better than falling asleep in the middle of sumptin' else, know what i'm sayin' ;)

-g

Grant McLean
11-30-2007, 04:37 PM
bro you know alabama ? cheers bro :beer:

bro, that song makes me sad.

:(

-g

Sandy
11-30-2007, 04:38 PM
What relaxes me is watching these two girls relax in the sun.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/ElmerJosina/Dogs/IMG_0109.jpg
Does this work for you Sandy?

That works for me just great! Thanks!

Sandy

Sandy
11-30-2007, 04:41 PM

keno

You are one wise man! She was saying- "Honey, I would really like a diamond necklace." :rolleyes:

Sandy

Fixed
11-30-2007, 04:47 PM
bro, that song makes me sad.

:(

-g
tragic time = beautiful music Lonnie's Lament

ShockTreatment
11-30-2007, 04:53 PM
tragic time = beautiful music Lonnie's Lament
Agree. One of my favorite records is Afro Blue Impressions. I also like to listen to McCoy Tyner on his own.

jimcav
11-30-2007, 04:58 PM
back when i fancied doing an ironman, long swims totally relaxed me--just got in a groove and sort of mindlessly went--caveat: the water was not too cold.

a hike in an old growth forest where the sunlight is shooting beams through the limbs is nice too.

oh and a 7 mile run to ocean beach (San D.) and then laying down listening to the surf for awhile.

wow i really realize how much i dislike my windowless office.

jim

David Kirk
11-30-2007, 05:00 PM

http://www.limousinehirelincoln.co.uk/images/hummer_limousine_3.jpg

Dude that car IS around the block.

Dave

taz-t
11-30-2007, 05:39 PM
a week sleeping in the dunes on Ocracoke Island - no tv, computer, cars or people. Takes at least a couple of days to decompress, then blissed out.

- taz

KeithS
11-30-2007, 05:45 PM
These are the kids I used to have and the kids I still have. On the beach with the young'ns.

Fixed
11-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Agree. One of my favorite records is Afro Blue Impressions. I also like to listen to McCoy Tyner on his own.
we are bros imho
cheers :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
11-30-2007, 10:12 PM
atmo - (http://serotta.com/forum/showpost.php?p=432414&postcount=43)
doh!

. . . a TwizzlerŽ with wheels, don't it? :rolleyes:

BBD

onekgguy
11-30-2007, 10:17 PM
In no particular order...
riding...obviously
tinkering with my bikes
mowing the lawn
a glass of California red wine with Tammy to close out the day
sitting at the computer with my pups on my lap
music
road trips in the car
vacations
writing
tv
reminiscing...I'm big on this one
the end of the day when I've gotten a ton of stuff accomplished

Kevin g

DarrenCT
11-30-2007, 10:20 PM
...better than falling asleep in the middle of sumptin' else, know what i'm sayin' ;)

-g

:crap:

now thats funny.... i dont care who u are...