PDA

View Full Version : Chorus UT vs Centaur UT - differences?

d_douglas
11-28-2007, 12:57 PM
I am looking at buying a compact Ultra Torque crankset in 175mm -

is there any appreciable difference btw the Chorus model and the new Centaur carbon model? Is the new Centaur just last years Chorus with a different decal? As usual?

There is also a slight chance that I will buy the alu Centaur version instead - can't decide, but it is going on a older Cinelli SC. I already have carbon record ergos, so thought I would stick with the carbon theme.

Thanks for your info...

J.Greene
11-28-2007, 01:06 PM
I am looking at buying a compact Ultra Torque crankset in 175mm -

is there any appreciable difference btw the Chorus model and the new Centaur carbon model? Is the new Centaur just last years Chorus with a different decal? As usual?

There is also a slight chance that I will buy the alu Centaur version instead - can't decide, but it is going on a older Cinelli SC. I already have carbon record ergos, so thought I would stick with the carbon theme.

Thanks for your info...

IF the new carbon Centaur is the older Chorus model then the chainrings will be campy's own 110mm standard. The alloy Centaur uses the common 110mm chainring. I'd want to know what rings fot before I buy.

JG

zank
11-28-2007, 03:22 PM
The alloy Centaur Ultra Torque CT crank has the proprietary 110/113 BCD as does the new carbon Centaur UT CT crank and all other UT CT cranks. TA is now making aftermarket rings to fit the CT bolt pattern.

The Campagnolo rep told me the only substantial difference between the Chorus and Centaur carbon UT cranks is the rings. The Centaur carbon crank has whate were Veloce level rings in the past. Trickle-up effect :rolleyes:

d_douglas
11-28-2007, 03:29 PM
I am cheap - should I buy the Centaur or the Chorus? So the rings are Veloce - what about the crankarms themselves? Are they the same thing?

Any great deals on Chorus UT compact cranks???

Thanks!

zank
11-28-2007, 03:32 PM
If it were me, I would buy the Centaur.

Nope. I have not seen any deals.

d_douglas
11-28-2007, 04:35 PM
I have a Chorus CT crankset - - can I switch the chainrings on them, and put the veloce-ish ones on the square taper cranks and the older, but presumably better, 50x36 rings on the UT crank?

Also, i assume that there is no spindle length any more, right? The Centaur cranks just mesh with the BB cups? If I buy the Chorus, the same cups will do the trick, right?

Thanks again, Zank....

zank
11-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Yes, you can use your older Chorus CT rings on the Centaur UT CT crank.

You are correct. Campagnolo only makes one set of cups for all UT cranks. Well, two really. English thread and Italian thread versions.

Kirk007
11-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Haven't seen any on Chorus but Probike has centaur UT for $139 free shipping to USA.

RudAwkning
11-29-2007, 02:26 AM
Yes, you can use your older Chorus CT rings on the Centaur UT CT crank.

You are correct. Campagnolo only makes one set of cups for all UT cranks. Well, two really. English thread and Italian thread versions.

How am I supposed to use Ultra Torques on my Peugeot PX 50? Bastards. Guess I'll have to stick with my cotterpins :D