PDA

View Full Version : Training is bad for your health: A cool new study

Acotts
11-27-2007, 12:18 PM
This might be old news to some. But I thought I would share it.:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/features/health_doping_slowtwitch2.html

Training is no guarantee of health

Let’s get one thing straight right off the bat: Endurance training is antithetical to anti-aging. So it amazes me when guys in their 40s and 50s who are training for a marathon or Ironman suggest that doing so will keep them young. It won’t. You may feel like a stud now with your shaved legs and your magic marker biceps tattoos, but endurance training speeds up the aging process almost as fast as watching TV, drinking sodas and eating potato chips. Actually, in some cases, it speeds it up even faster.

I know, I know, you’ve been told that exercise is the great panacea -- the fountain of youth -- and that the more you do, the greater the benefits will accrue. Well, science has started to prove that concept wrong, and I suspect the evidence in support of my thesis will accumulate exponentially now that the first generation of Frank Shorter "psychophants" has started dropping. There is a middle ground where there's a perfect balance of diet and exercise that will lead to the longest, most productive and "youthful" existence possible. But it certainly isn't found in endurance training. That said, I do think there are ways (some legal, some not) to mitigate the damage and extract the healthiest life possible if you do choose to train long and hard.

Verry interesting. Very funny.
-Testify!

Fixed
11-27-2007, 12:29 PM
bro all you got to do is look for all the san diego tri heads from the early 80's most of them have something wrong with them from training hard all the time and racing every weekend .
cheers

Fat Robert
11-27-2007, 12:37 PM
so?

like i was going to live forever anyway....

dauwhe
11-27-2007, 01:08 PM
I didn't realize the aging process was fully understood! :rolleyes:

Dave

soulspinner
11-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Drink a nice porter after excercise. Repeat as necessary. :beer:

swoop
11-27-2007, 02:55 PM
health is bad for your training.

Fixed
11-27-2007, 03:04 PM
bro isn't there something about not eating and living longer

Scientists have known for a long time that rats, mice, and worms that eat very little live longer than those that eat normal diets. Now, the results of research on humans are starting to emerge. It may take decades to prove that people who carefully regulate their calories and eating patterns extend their life span, but at the very least, some scientists say, these people may avoid many health problems associated with aging.
what do you think .....i starved myself all my life and a truck took me out
all rides got to end sometime maybe not today
cheers

dauwhe
11-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Is the goal to live longer, or to live? I'm not willing to sacrifice certain pleasures (food, long bike rides) based on uncertain evidence.

There doesn't seem to be a consensus in the scientific community about diet.

Dave

Ginger
11-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Is the goal to live longer, or to live? I'm not willing to sacrifice certain pleasures (food, long bike rides) based on uncertain evidence.

YAY Dave!

Me either.

benb
11-27-2007, 03:39 PM
This has been posted before... read it with a massive massive grain of salt.

The guy is not a doctor. He's not really a scientist. He got a BS in Biology 31 years ago and his main career has been as an athlete and/or blogger.

He lists no bibliography or sources with his article. There have been some studies regarding what he is talking about but they are far from proven or accepted as he seems to imply.

Some of his claims that humans did not evolve to participate in endurance exercise are just patently false and there are plenty of peer reviewed studies and scientific articles disagreeing with him.

This is no different then believing Lance Armstrong if he starts saying eating an Olive every day is the secret to raising your VO2 Max.

For me I try to keep in mind for every nugget of valuable fitness/nutrition information out there, there is a giant steaming pile of BS it is hidden in. So many of the people making claims are nothing more then snake oil salesmen.

William
11-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Does this mean I can still drink chocolate milk while I watch Miami Vice???

William ;)

flydhest
11-27-2007, 05:01 PM

Dave

A guy goes to see his doctor and says, "Doc, I don't eat fried foods, fatty foods, I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't stay up late, I don't chase after women and I don't eat red meat. How long will I live."
The doctor says, "With a life like that, why do you care?"

chrisroph
11-27-2007, 06:29 PM
I do not doubt that there is at least a little something there. it is over the top, sensationalistic and does not cite research but don't throw it all out.

many coaches and experienced athletes are big believers in seasonal training. about now, many advocate a period involving a lot of time stretching, resting, general recovery, adequate rest, and shifting the work load to non-cycling activities.

i like to eat adequate quantities of high quality food and gain a few pounds. yup, about now, if i'm not able or willing to do cross, i am happy to be 2 or 3 kgs over my emaciated anorexic starving racing weight. if i'm doing cross, i just delay the rest period and the start of serious training later.

i like to reduce hours on the bike and shift to a fixie, lift a bunch of weights, do some skiing, take a bunch of hikes, do the elliptical, anything but long hours on the bike. this is beneficial to ensuring recovery, healing injuries and preserving bone density.

i also believe it makes me a lot faster and happier come next season.

Fixed
11-27-2007, 06:36 PM
I do not doubt that there is at least a little something there. it is over the top, sensationalistic and does not cite research but don't throw it all out.

many coaches and experienced athletes are big believers in seasonal training. about now, many advocate a period involving a lot of time stretching, resting, general recovery, adequate rest, and shifting the work load to non-cycling activities.

i like to eat adequate quantities of high quality food and gain a few pounds. yup, about now, if i'm not able or willing to do cross, i am happy to be 2 or 3 kgs over my emaciated anorexic starving racing weight. if i'm doing cross, i just delay the rest period and the start of serious training later.

i like to reduce hours on the bike and shift to a fixie, lift a bunch of weights, do some skiing, take a bunch of hikes, do the elliptical, anything but long hours on the bike. this is beneficial to ensuring recovery, healing injuries and preserving bone density.

i also believe it makes me a lot faster and happier come next season.listen to good council this cat didn't start doin this yesterday
imho cheers

Fixed
11-27-2007, 06:42 PM
A guy goes to see his doctor and says, "Doc, I don't eat fried foods, fatty foods, I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't stay up late, I don't chase after women and I don't eat red meat. How long will I live."
The doctor says, "With a life like that, why do you care?"
a laugh may be the best thing for us thanks i'll try to remember that

cheers :beer:

atdamico
11-27-2007, 07:26 PM

Dave

Spot on. I might add that exercise isn't always about extending life but it is about quality of life. I have exercised regularly (weights, bike, swimming, tennis, anything else I can think of) for the better part of 30 years and at age 56 I look and feel at least 10-20 years younger than just about anybody else my age. My waist and weight are within 10% of what they were when I was in high school. I also haven't eaten red meat in over 20 years and eat about 90% organic as well. I know this is ancedotal evidence, but it seems to work for me. Regardless of whether I live to 80 or 100 the goal isn't to add years but to add quality to the years I do live.

Fixed
11-27-2007, 08:19 PM
bro do you drink? like beer
cheers

atdamico
11-27-2007, 08:23 PM
bro do you drink? like beer
cheers

Beer (Fat Tire when I can get it), Vodka, wine, all in moderation. And a little herb from time to time. I'm not a monk :D

Fixed
11-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Beer (Fat Tire when I can get it), Vodka, wine, all in moderation. And a little herb from time to time. I'm not a monk :D
not a monk a bro imho
cheers

Dekonick
11-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Anyone got a good source for olives? :rolleyes:

Fixed
11-27-2007, 09:46 PM
some cats bother has some
:beer: cheers