PDA

View Full Version : cold enough for ya?!?

spiderman
11-27-2007, 09:17 AM
so the morning commute was 6 degrees
with an 11 below wind chill.
...i'm almost ready to crack
and get myself to a spinning class...
but there was something
very vitalizing about the cold.

Too Tall
11-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Good grief!!! That's cold. I wish it were that cold here, it tends to cut down on petty crime.

TimB
11-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Few years ago in the Washington Post there was an article about crime - particularly home burglaries, in Fargo, ND and about what the police were doing to combat it. Their primary goal - to get more people to lock their houses when they left for work for the day.

Also interviewed was the mayor of Bismark, ND, which had not seen a similar rise in home burglaries. His remark? "Well, 40 below tends to keep out the riff-raff."

I've always loved that quote.

Keith A
11-27-2007, 09:42 AM
It didn't seem too bad to me this morning...matter of fact it was quite pleasant :D

Time EST Temperature Dew Point Pressure Inches Wind Weather
10 AM Nov 27 79.0 (26.1) 69.1 (20.6) 30.2 (1022) SW 8
9 AM Nov 27 75.0 (23.9) 70.0 (21.1) 30.2 (1022) W 3
8 AM Nov 27 70.0 (21.1) 68.0 (20.0) 30.18 (1022) Calm
7 AM Nov 27 66.9 (19.4) 63.0 (17.2) 30.17 (1021) W 3
6 AM Nov 27 70.0 (21.1) 64.9 (18.3) 30.15 (1020) Calm
5 AM Nov 27 73.0 (22.8) 66.0 (18.9) 30.14 (1020) WSW 5

Sorry...I know that wasn't very nice of me :bike:

Fixed
11-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Few years ago in the Washington Post there was an article about crime - particularly home burglaries, in Fargo, ND and about what the police were doing to combat it. Their primary goal - to get more people to lock their houses when they left for work for the day.

Also interviewed was the mayor of Bismark, ND, which had not seen a similar rise in home burglaries. His remark? "Well, 40 below tends to keep out the riff-raff."

I've always loved that quote.
bro I was married in bismark and it was like that even in the summer
cheers

jhcakilmer
11-27-2007, 09:52 AM
I bought a Ironman 112M spinner last year, and anytime it's below 30, I spin. I don't mind going out riding in a group, but no way I'm going out solo....that's just unnatural!!

Fixed
11-27-2007, 10:15 AM
bro send some cold air down here 80's again
cheers

Keith A
11-27-2007, 10:17 AM
bro send some cold air down here 80's again shhh...be quite fixed...I'm enjoying commuting in just my bibs and jersey

Fixed
11-27-2007, 10:38 AM
bro it does beat the summer
cheers

TimB
11-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Spiderman - you in MN - correct? Sounds as though you'll be having fun this coming weekend.

Question for you - what do you wear on your hands and feet at 6F? Now that I'm commuting I need something to keep my digits warm.

Could pull out my old choppers, but I'm not sure I can find new liners for them here in NC.

spiderman
11-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Spiderman - you in MN - correct? Sounds as though you'll be having fun this coming weekend.

Question for you - what do you wear on your hands and feet at 6F? Now that I'm commuting I need something to keep my digits warm.

Could pull out my old choppers, but I'm not sure I can find new liners for them here in NC.

spirit lake, iowa
is 'inferior' to the mn boarder
if you consider lake superior, at the superior/lateral boarder
at least anatomically speaking...
6 degrees brings out the birkenstock boots for the commute
and then riding off-road at noon i'll go with wool socks, neoprene and booties
for the feet
and under armour liners, and patagonia winter gloves for the hands.
under zero i add zip locks on the feet
and add a middle layer for the hands, right now showers pass gloves.

CNY rider
11-30-2007, 10:56 AM
so the morning commute was 6 degrees
with an 11 below wind chill.
...i'm almost ready to crack
and get myself to a spinning class...
but there was something
very vitalizing about the cold.

Never surrender to the cold!
Our coldest morning here so far has been 22. (actually we were down to 14 last week but I was deer hunting, not working)
Last year I was able to commute in 0 F weather.
TimB: The answer is a set of Vulpine Adaptive mitts. I got a pair last winter. The first 2 miles of my commute are almost straight downhill, at 25+ mph. I could wear those in zero degree weather and have warm hands at the bottom of the hill. In any other gloves I would be in intense pain by the time I got all the way down.
I think I had heard a rumor about Vulpine closing in the past. That would be real unfortunate. Try Googling them.

staggerwing
11-30-2007, 11:10 AM
It was 26 this morning, but I was still sweating a bit after the commute to work. I was wearing a wool blend Zoic jersey, and a 200wt, polartec jacket from LLBean. Also had on a balaclava from Nordic Gear Safety; lightweight lycra headshell with a polartec neck gaiter. Finally, a pair of ski goggles, just because my eyes water heavily at cold temps.

TimB
11-30-2007, 12:49 PM
the only issues I have riding in cold are with the tips of my fingers and toes. I've just never been able to keep them from _hurting_ by the end of even a short ride even in the upper 30s. Even my ears seem to be more cold-tolerant than my fingers and toes. I'm no wuss - grew up north of you as a MN native, used to be able to make snowballs bare-handed without noticing - though about 50m barefoot in the snow was all I could stand.

Thanks for the info spiderman - will look into more conventional gloves/mittens, less biking-specific as solutions for the fingers.

spiderman
11-30-2007, 01:00 PM
warm toasty toes and fingers with the above method.
the patagonia winter gloves with the base layer are great...
...you're right...anything made for winter ice climbing
makes good cross over/crossbike winter gear!

SWorks4me
11-30-2007, 01:25 PM
A Potent Upper Level Storm System Will Head Toward The Area Late
Tonight. While This Is Occurring Very Cold Air Which Has Moved
Into The Central Plains Will Ooze Southward Today And Remain In
Place Across The Region Through Saturday Morning. Warmer Air And
Precipitation Will Surge Rapidly Northward Ahead Of The Storm
System Tonight. With Below Freezing Temperatures At Ground Level
Struggling To Rise During The Day...and Warm Air Running Over Top Of This
Air Mass...freezing Rain With Isolated Pockets Of Sleet Will Break
Out Across Northeast Kansas And Adjacent Northwest And West Central
Missouri During The Pre-dawn Hours Of Saturday Morning. Significant
Ice Accumulations Are Likely Across Northwest Missouri And Extreme
Northeast Kansas Saturday Morning...with A High Likelihood That Very Icy
Conditions Will Spread Eastward Across North Central And Northeast
Missouri During The Daylight Hours On Saturday.

staggerwing
11-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the info spiderman - will look into more conventional gloves/mittens, less biking-specific as solutions for the fingers.

I just picked up a pair of Hestra "Alpine Pro" gloves from Sierra Trading Post. Goat skin palms and working surface of fingers. Something synthetic and stretchy on the back. Snug gauntlet cuffs with cinch. These are winter sports/skiing gloves, but they have plenty of dexterity for cycling. Nice glove, although, they too are now made in China.

Of course, the previously mentioned Patagonia is a good name too, as well as, Black Diamond, and Lowe Alpine, and Mountain Hardware.